• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swamped in the Cairngorms (1 Viewer)

3Italianbirders

Supporter
Italy
Hello again!
We are in Aviemore and wondering what to do tomorrow. There's so many places to choose from and we only have three days. The forecast is mixed so probably not a good day to attempt Cairngorm. Insh Marshes? Loch Garten? Loch an Eilein? Craigellachie (how long is the path?) One of us has a pre-existing mild injury and we can't do anything too steep/long/rocky?
We have even though about the long drive to the Ythan to see Elvis, but after our flight and drive up we are not sure if we are ready for that.
We have no specific targets - would like to see woodland species as well as eagles, grouse etc.

Thank you!

The moors around Lochindorb, off up the B9007, can often yield exceptional views of Red Grouse, and Divers can usually be found on the Loch, and I've always enjoyed visiting Loch an Eilein, (I've had Wood Warbler at the junction between B970 and the road to the Loch). Good luck with whatever you decide to do, wish I was up there too!

Thank you! Lochindorb sounds good!

If Lochindorb is quiet (you need a lot patience on all moorland), it is only a short drive up to the coast. Burghead is my favourite but others prefer Findhorn Bay. Or Nairn Harbour. All three are good if walking becomes a problem as you can watch from the car.

Gordon

Thanks both. it was pretty miserable in Aviemore this morning so we did head to the coast. We went to see Elvis at the Ythan and it showed pretty well. We had a fantastic day. We still have to count the species! On to new adventures tomorrow ;)

Thanks both. it was pretty miserable in Aviemore this morning so we did head to the coast. We went to see Elvis at the Ythan and it showed pretty well. We had a fantastic day. We still have to count the species! On to new adventures tomorrow ;)

Good call, glad you had a good day. Hope the trip continues well.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back