• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawk in acrylic... (1 Viewer)

hunterpaul

IMG_1748.jpg

well here is my latest painting, I hope you like it... its a goshawk... press the link for the pic... thanks Paul

forgot to ask you mate...having problems with airbrush, spluttering..using a iwata one, seems to let air out when it wants...when i pull back to release the air there is nothing for a split second then too much paint comes out ? tried another airbrush same make, same problem ? using crylaflow paint thinned with flow medium...could it be air-pressure?
thanks.. mark

mark... what psi is your compressor running at, it needs to be running at around 40 - 50 psi.... this could be the problem, you also need to wipe the end of your brush regularly to stop paint accumulating in the end, make sure it is absolutely clean... strain your paints through an old Nylon stocking, before they go into the cup... I use golden paints, and they are so easy to get to the right consistancy... get a bottle of FW acrylic ink, and run it through the brush.. if the spattering has gone then its the paint thickness... but cleanliness of the brush would be my first port of call.... ohh also make sure the trigger is pushed right forward when you depress it, as if you release paint before the air, again spattering... good luck and let me know how it goes..

hang on just re read it... you pull back for paint... push down for air... push the button right down and dont release any paint by pulling back... then on a scrap sheet, pull back very slowly for paint... this takes getting used to, like when you first started driving and you had to get used to the clutch... very very light passes with the paint...

hi Paul, one of my airbrushes is brand-new...so beginning to think its an air-problem... whats driving me mad is, all was working ok..I always clean my airbrushes well, with proper cleaner, never had any problems until now ,these are normally trouble free, I'll try what you said..thanks mate...mark

And if anyone's thinking of going down the photorealism route - then do it properly!
This is realism at its very best - not just 'photographically real' but structured, three-dimensional and alive. This kind of quality is only achievable by the very few - and this is top of that tree.

And if anyone's thinking of going down the photorealism route - then do it properly!
This is realism at its very best - not just 'photographically real' but structured, three-dimensional and alive. This kind of quality is only achievable by the very few - and this is top of that tree.

Indeed, photorealism gives no room for mistakes (they can't be brushed aside as part of the creativity - they are by the nature of the work, mistakes) and very, very few can pull it off and give the subject life. You've really hit the nail on the head with this one Paul. There is so much photorealism about nowadays that I rarely give it a second look - this piece is the only one I've seen in a long time where I felt it dared me to touch the bird - so genuine is the effect given. :t:

That's beautiful work Paul, so much depth in that eye.

I just mistyped that as, 'so much deth in that eye', a Freudian slip perhaps?!

Mike

well some wonderful replies from artists I truly truly respect... what more could someone wish for... thank you all so much... Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back