• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Else Will I Need To Digiscope (1 Viewer)

Airedale1

I am looking forward to delving into the world of digiscoping. I am a wildlife photographer and I primairily photograph birds.

My kit is as follows: EOS 7D, EOS 40D, EF-400 f/5.6L EF 70-200 f/4.0L IS EF 50 f/1.4 EF 17-40 f/4.0L IS EF-1.4x II 430EX II Speedlite

I do not currently own a tripod. I always shoot off of a large bean bag. I realize I will need a tripod for my digiscoping set-up.

In order to start digiscoping I just ordered a Leupold Ventana SX-1 15-45x60mm Angled Spotting Scope and I already have Canon PowerShot S90.

So, my question is what else will I need? Specifically in terms of what specific adapters will I need to mate the Leupold scope to the S90 camera?

Also, what set-up would be needed for mounting both to a tripod? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to digiscoping....you have about the same camera set up as I do!... But you will find digiscoping is a bigger challenge as it isn't a matter of running off a thousand shots anymore and taking the best.

But you will need a nice sturdy tripod... I have a Benro C258 although I have a tad bid heavier spotting scope that you have. You need a solid head,...I have a manfrotto 701 Video head but would sooner have a Gitzo GH2720QR Bird Watching Fluid Head with Quick Release System. if you have that head, you have what is needed to attach your scope. You really do not need a rail.

In terms of an adapter to your camera, not sure.... I am not familiar with Leupold. you can always just hold the Canon up to the eyepiece but you will be grossly disappointed in terms of results. You need something to hold it in place... For you S90, use the 'timer' settings and set it to take three shots either after 2 or 10 seconds, I believe those are the options on that camera. The S90 is not a bad camera....just that there are others out there better. But you need to see how well your camera fits to your scope, or...any camera ...does it have vignetting? If so, you know you have the wrong camera....

Best of luck now....practice a ton...it is not easy... jim

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back