• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How clever are the Rooks in your garden? (BTO) (1 Viewer)

BF Newsroom

Latest update from the BTO: How clever are the Rooks in your garden?

The BTO are working with avian intelligence researchers to study how Rooks behave in gardens, and we want your records of interesting Rook behaviour.
Gardens provide the perfect opportunity to study the behaviour of Rooks as there are new problems for them to solve, such as how to feed from bird feeders.
The survey runs from July to December. If you have Rooks visiting your garden, take a look at the Garden Rook Survey pages for more information.

Read More...

Over the years I have watched hundreds of thousands of northwest ravens come and go . One winter there were several thousand ravens coming in daily to feed and socialize around my house when I spotted one that stood out from all the rest , face plates and all I swear it was a rook in Eastern Washington .

There are only four explanations for what I saw that day . 1. It escaped from a zoo. 2. It got caught in a storm and was carried here on the wing . 3. some ones illegal pet escaped . 4. my raven buddies were screwing with my mind for giggles and grins and turned part of a project loose in my yard to blow my mind , loaded it up and left with it satisfied they has succeeded .

I will probably never know which of the four it was but in any event , I cherished the chance to see it blend in with my commons so well . I have seen giant mutants , feathery footed wonders , a white raven with a golden collar and just several black primaries on each wing tip but a rook in Eastern Washington in the U.S ?

I guess he could have ridden in the wheel well of a jet to .

Sincerely
Corvidear

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back