• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vireos from Cuba (1 Viewer)

nikothomsen

Hi guys, any thoughts on these vireos? some are likely black-whiskered, but i'm struggling to see the whisker. 1&2 and 3&4 are same birds.

Attachments

• DSC_8389.JPG
    DSC_8389.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_8388.JPG
    DSC_8388.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0683.jpg
    DSC_0683.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0678.jpg
    DSC_0678.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 44
When were these taken? at least in migration Red-eyed V would be a confounding factor.

Even so, I think I see enough in bird 1 to say BwVI, not sure about 2 and 3

Niels

I may be imagining but I think there is a hint of the whisker in the second image and the angle on the first and the lightning would be why it is not so visible there.

Niels

Another feature of BWV is the larger more substantial bill. I'm not seeing that on any of the images in the OP and for me these are all REV. I've attached images of two different BWV from my spring tours. My autumn tours run 3rd week Oct through to 1st week Nov and I don't recall having seen BWV in autumn. I think you will find that they are only summer visitors to the island so by that, most should have departed by October.

Stu

Last edited:
Another feature of BWV is the larger more substantial bill. I'm not seeing that on any of the images in the OP and for me these are all REV. I've attached images of two different BWV from my spring tours. My autumn tours run 3rd week Oct through to 1st week Nov and I don't recall having seen BWV in autumn. I think you will find that they are only summer visitors to the island so by that, most should have departed by October.

Stu

I forgot about BWVI being migratory, they are more permanent at my usual haunts

Niels

Interesting. I was unaware that they were migratory. They'll all go down as REVI then, meaning missing BWVI, but I guess that makes sense if they weren't around :) Thanks all!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back