• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Vistapix IS70 . (1 Viewer)

Dr Manjeet Singh

Dr.Manjeet Singh
Celestron Vistapix IS70 .(scope with a camera.)

Has any one heard ,used or seen this New Celestone Vistapix IS70-Would like a feed back if possible.Thanks for the read and would like to have some feed back.Regards.

Last edited:
Celestron Vistapix 70 Imaging Spotter

Dr Manjeet Singh said:
Has any one heard ,used or seen this New Celestone Vistapix IS70-Would like a feed back if possible.Thanks for the read and would like to have some feed back.Regards.

Hi Doctor,

I found some details regarding the new Celestron Vistapix IS 70 Imaging Spotter.Looks like a very interesting new digital spotter with 3.1mp built in camera after the Kowa TD-1.

FEATURES

General
70mm spotting scope will get you 14x closer to the action
Large 2" LCD screen provides sharp, clear imaging preview
3.1 megapixel image resolution
Dual power camera for high magnification or wide field of view
Digital focus meter for quick, sharp focus capability
6x digital zoom
Continuous video capability
Rotatable tripod adapter fits standard photo tripods or Celestron computerized mounts
View images on your TV screen with included video cable
Includes protective carrying case for travel and storage
Best warranty in the business (2 year)

DESCRIPTION

High quality spotting scope and state-of-the-art digital camera in one full-featured, easy-to-use unit.

Introducing the VistaPix Imaging Spotter (IS70) from Celestron. Capture the action closer than ever before with this 3MP digital camera spotting scope. Unique product, advanced features, unbeatable price.

The VistaPix IS70 features a 70mm spotting scope with 14x magnification. The 3 megapixel camera features a 2” LCD screen for a sharp, clear imaging preview; 6x digital zoom; a digital focus meter for quick, sharp focus; dual power for high magnification or wide field of view; and continuous video capability. And with its great close focus, the IS70 can capture amazing detail -- perfect for getting up close with a variety of nature's treasures both great and small.

Other IS70 features include a rotatable tripod adapter that fits standard photo tripods or Celestron computerized mounts and the ability to view images on your TV screen with the included video cable. The IS70 also includes a protective carrying case for travel and storage. All VistaPix IS70 models feature Celestron’s 2-year warranty.

SPECIFICATIONS

APERTURE 70 mm (2.76 in)
FOCAL LENGTH 210 mm (8.27 in)
FOCAL RATIO 3
MAGNIFICATION 14 x
ANGULAR FIELD OF VIEW 4 °
LINEAR FIELD OF VIEW (@1000 YDS) 210 ft (64.01 m)
EYE RELIEF 13 mm (0.51 in)
NEAR FOCUS 15 ft (4.57 m)
OPTICAL COATINGS Fully Coated
WEIGHT 3.5 lb (1.59 kg)
CAMERA RESOLUTION 3.1 MP (2048 x 1536)
CHIP CMOS
MEMORY 32 MB Internal, SD Card Slot
MAGNIFICATION (LOW POWER) 7 x
MAGNIFICATION (HIGH POWER) 24 x
ANGULAR FIELD OF VIEW (LOW POWER) 5.6 °
ANGULAR FIELD OF VIEW (HIGH POWER) 2 °
DIGITAL ZOOM 6 x
FOCUS ASSIST Sharp Focus Meter
EXPOSURE Auto
TV OUT PREVIEW NTSC / PAL
HI-RES IMAGES 38 @ 3.0MP Fine
LO-RES IMAGES 600 @ 0.3MP Econ
CONTINUOUS VIDEO (VGA) 30 sec
CONTINUOUS VIDEO (CIF) 4.5 min
BATTERIES 2-AA - Alkaline (not included)
INCLUDED ACCESSORIES Video Cable, Shutter Cable, Instruction Booklet, 3 Lens Caps, Carrying Case

Attachments

• Celestron Vistapix IS70 Imaging Spotter.gif
    Celestron Vistapix IS70 Imaging Spotter.gif
    34.6 KB · Views: 300
Wow it does look good jason but has any from Birdforum used it or has any one any feed back of it-would like to know.Regards and and thank you in advance.

first of all, please, excuse any my mistake, but I haven't used english for a long time
I'd like to ask what focal lenght does the scope correspond compared to photographic lens?

Vista Pix IS70

i had a chance to play around with one at the most recent consumer Electronics Show in vegas. I have to say, I was skepical at first, but it is a pretty cool product, and beautifully designed. One slight drawback is that it only has a 3.1 MP camera, but I guess I should not expect much more for a price under $500. I will consider buying.

Hi - I bought one in the US, on the basis of the Consumer Electronics awards, also Celestron's reputation and the fact that it seemed ideal for me - allowing you to digiscope with the minimum of fuss.

It's early days yet and I have not got to grips with it yet; however three disappointing things are evident:

(1) It EATS batteries. I mean, you get about one hour of use out of a pair of high powered AA's. Rechargeable ones are not powerful enough, so an external pack will be essential.

(2) Am getting fairly bad chromatic aberration at the high power setting, meaning you'll have to get a well-framed closeup in the field; there is limited scope for digitally zooming afterward.

(3) Had hoped that it would not be necessary to use the LCD screen for focussing. In theory, once you've callibrated it to your own eye you can take your shot without removing your eye from the eyepiece. In practice unfortunately, this is not accurate enough and you have to lift your head and fine tune the focus with the (slow) focussing knob.

It looks bad, however part of the trouble is my own lack of experience in digiscoping and it may well be that it still gives less problems than the traditional method.

Will let you know how I get on as the "Season" progresses.

cheers

Andrew

Last edited:
Hi, for the first time I can put up a picture from the Celestron. Things look a little better after purchasing an external power supply and practising for a little longer, but I've a long way to go.

The picture is deliberately unprocessed and not digitally zoomed - could probably improve by removing colour fringes and adjusting brightness.

Given the fairly ideal circumstances this is probably the best picture of a passerine likely to be possible from this equipment.

My next purchase would probably be a separate, larger viewing screen to plug into the TV output. This would probably make focussing a good deal easier.

Attachments

• stonechat.jpg
    stonechat.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 733
I purchased one of these two months ago and agree with Pianoman on the fairly bad chromatic aberration at the high power setting. You can use about half of the digital zoom with fair results. Full zoom is not good. No zoom is best.

I am fairly satisfied with the scope optics but the camera's are mediocre. Like Pianoman I have tried to sync the LCD focus meter with the eyepiece so you could focus looking through the eyepiece only. These results are mixed because focus the meter looks for areas of sharp contrasts so if your field of view changes so does the contrast and your never quite sure what it is focusing on. Most of the time the meter focus is the best method , unfortunatly the LCD screen is difficult to see and you are stuck with it for most focusing on both the low power and high power settings.

If you use the power save mode you will have no problem with the batteries. I have shot over 150 pictures with one set of AA rechargables. Besides they are so cheap these days I don't see it as an issue.

Bottom line is that you don't need to spend $1000's to get some desent pictures and it is less hassle than a digiscope setup. But it definitly still has a learning curve before you will get some good pictures.

Brad, it seems you have had far better results with your battery power, and it leads me to wonder if I have a faulty item. I can never be sure if the scope is going to power up successfully when I set it up. I got a laptop power supply which does keep it going a lot better once it's on and working, but it doesn't use the external power to start up, only when it's up and running.

Interesting!

A

Edit: Optically, I think I was expecting too much and I agree it is still quite a good solution for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back