• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Used Leitz 8 x 32B Trinovids (1 Viewer)

Epsomsalt

I am looking at buying an old but 'mint' pair of these binoculars. Are they a good buy? How do they compare to the newer models in terms of optical quality. The have a fov of 130m at 1000m, weigh 570 gms (just over a pound or so) and have an exit pupil of 4mm (I am aged 53 so should be ok?)

I am asked to make an offer if I want them - what is a fair price for these Bins in 'pristine unmarked condition' please??
Thanks,
Chris

If you wear eyeglasses, 8x42mm has better eye relief than any 8x32.

Something like 16mm vs. 14mm, but a few mm can make a huge difference.

They are a tough one to value but are excellent bins. I recently picked up a pair of 8x40 Leitz Trinovids, they are well used but still give a lovely image. Used 8x40s seem to go for ~£150 so I guess a mint pair of 8x32s would be more like £200-£250, I know I'd happily pay £200 for a pair.

Hello all,

I doubt that Leitz binoculars, rather than Leica binoculars, may have been phase coated. Does anyone know?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Hi Arthur, I am quite sure that Leitz/Leica started phase correcting with the waterproof Trinovid series ca.1989. I find Leitz/Leica terminology somewhat confusing, the original roof prism binoculars brought out in 1963 were called Trinovids, and the waterproof series brought out in ca.1989 were, I think, originally called 'Ultra' Trinovids. These days it seems that both of these series are referred to as Trinovids? Also, I seem to recall a thread in BF that said something about the original Trinovid prisms being of the Uppendahl design, phase correction was not necessary? Can anyone please help with these questions?
Thank you, John

The original Leitz Trinovids were neither phase corrected nor multi-coated. The Trinovid Ultras, which replaced them are what we now call Trinovid BA. Uppendaul roof prisms need phase correction just like any other roof prism. The original Trinovids are beautiful objects but are optically quite inferior to most modern mid priced roof prism binoculars with phase and multi-coating.

Hi Chris
If he turns down your offer put him in my direction. I have a good pair of Leitz8x30b (gorgeous bins and would love a pair in mint condition).

Seen em go for lots more than £250 on auction sites.

I know them as series 2 trinovid pre 1989 with uppendahls, series 3 trinovid post 1989 (the well known chunky rubber armoured BA/N's) with schmidt-pechan prisms. Don't know about lens coating though
Dave

Hi Dave, I'm curious, what is the difference between series one and two? I am looking for definitive naming of each of the series of Trinovids. I really wish that we could refer to post 1989 models as Ultra Trinovids, as Leica did when they were introduced.
Henry, Thank you for your explanation, however when Trinovids are referred to as BA that still could mean the rubber armoured version of the originals!
Regards, John

Hi Dave, I'm curious, what is the difference between series one and two? I am looking for definitive naming of each of the series of Trinovids. I really wish that we could refer to post 1989 models as Ultra Trinovids, as Leica did when they were introduced.
Henry, Thank you for your explanation, however when Trinovids are referred to as BA that still could mean the rubber armoured version of the originals!
Regards, John

My Leitz 7 x 42 Trinovid BA's are Green Rubber Armored. I was still able to buy replacement green rubber eyecups for them from Leica about 5 years ago. I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that this green version was made only in 1989 and 1990. Does anyone know anything about that?

Bob

Last edited:
John
Series 1 trinovid, were pre 1962, different internal focussing and single focus/diopter adjustment knob (not two as in series 2)
Dave

Regards, John

John,

You're quite right. Perhaps the only naming distinction is that the original Trinovids were always branded "Leitz" and the Trinovid Ultras were branded "Leica" from their introduction in 1990 (not 1989). For a history of Leitz/Leica models (thru 1996) see this list from the Peter Abrahams site:

http://home.europa.com/~telscope/leitzbin.txt

Henry

Last edited:
Hi Dave, I was forgetting about the 1958(?) first (prototype) series in 7x42 and 8x40 which I have never actually seen, other than in pictures! A 7x42 with a field of 170m/1000m sounds very interesting, however dated!
Thank you Henry, I had completely missed the obvious change from Leitz to Leica coinciding with the introduction of the Ultra Trinovids! Also I had dated the introduction of the Ultra Trinovids based on the catalogue date of XII/89 when, of course they would not have actually been available until 1990.
Regards, John

Last edited:
Hello Bob, Looking back through my collection of catalogues, the earliest showing for 7x42B's in green is 1979, although it could have been earlier.
Regards, John

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful and informative, especially for a complete novice like me!

The actual advert for these bins is:

"LEITZ/LEICA 8x32B TRINOVID BINOCULARS

‘Mint condition’
Supplied with original Leitz case, strap and instruction leaflet.

These wonderful Leitz binoculars are in pristine condition. Leatherette covering, lenses and all paintwork are unmarked. There cannot be many left in this good a condition. All mechanisms, hinge, diopter and focussing are smooth in operation.

The fully coated lenses are clear and unscratched. Internally they are crystal clear and collimation is perfect providing a wonderful bright crisp image.

Leitz binoculars are world renowned for their optical brilliance and comfort in the field. They were a firm favourite of birdwatchers in the 70’s 80’s and are still loved to this day by people lucky enough to own a pair.

Lightweight and beautifully designed, giving a slim feel in the hand, these really are a delight to wear compared to the more robust modern 32mm Leica’s. The wide field of view (130m @ 1000m) coupled with the 8x magnification give a rock steady image in all conditions and the outstanding crisp clean image is a joy to behold.

Leitz binoculars in this condition are becoming very rare, are much sought after by collectors and can only increase in value over time.

Technical details

Height -117mm

Width - 115mm

Weight - 570gms approx

Field of view -130m at 1000m

Exit pupil - 4mm"

Does this mean much to anyone and are they worth say £225 ish?

Thanks again, Chris

I used to own a similar vintage Leitz 7x35B, I remember it as being light years better than the cheap porro bins I had used up till then. It was also very compact and sexy. Looking back at them nostolgaically and thinking about buying one off ebay I posted the same question here a while back. The jist of the replys is that for that same amount of money you can get a mid priced modern roof or good porro binocular that has better coatings over all and phase coating which the older Leitz don't have.

For about $400.00 USD I would still be tempted to buy those mint Leitz as I like the overall package so much, but I imagine I would be using my Nikon SEs or Leica Ultravids a lot more.

Hello Chris, I completely agree with John. You could buy some phase corrected, brighter mid-price bins for the same money. That said, I derive significant enjoyment from using absolutely first rate bins (albeit from 20 or so years ago) on occasion, instead of my more current Leicas/Swarovskis. IMHO as long as the Trinovids are as advertised, the price is fair. Good luck!
Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back