• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

reflex camera or digital compact one for digiscoping? (1 Viewer)

loic

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy a camera and a 80mm spottingscope to do some digiscopy, but i clearly need some help to choose the right equipment. Many seem to be using a simple compact digital camera, but isn't it better with a reflex one?
However, the adapters for the reflex cameras seem to connect directly to the body of the spotting scopes!Does it mean that i won't be able to use the 20-60 zoom eyepiece that often comes with the spottingscope?
Many things i don't know, and i really want to make the right choice. I would go for a reflex system only if the adapters for those type of cameras allow the use of the eyepiece zoom and correct the vigneting due to the bigger diameter of the camera lens compared to the eyepiece one.
Please advices! thanks a lot guys!

Regards, Loic

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy a camera and a 80mm spottingscope to do some digiscopy, but i clearly need some help to choose the right equipment. Many seem to be using a simple compact digital camera, but isn't it better with a reflex one?
However, the adapters for the reflex cameras seem to connect directly to the body of the spotting scopes!Does it mean that i won't be able to use the 20-60 zoom eyepiece that often comes with the spottingscope?
Many things i don't know, and i really want to make the right choice. I would go for a reflex system only if the adapters for those type of cameras allow the use of the eyepiece zoom and correct the vigneting due to the bigger diameter of the camera lens compared to the eyepiece one.
Please advices! thanks a lot guys!

Regards, Loic

Hello!

No doubt the picture quality will be better with an adapter / SLR (reflex) system.
But the adapter is used instead of the eyepiece. During photography you will observe through the camera.
For ambitious photography much preferable to a compact camera.

Maybe the best solution is a an eyepiece with an inbuilt digital camera.

A compact camera with an ordinary eyepiece is a compromise for the occasional snapshot.

Maybe this helps.
Thomas

Attachments

• e_2_g.jpg
    e_2_g.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DC4.jpg
    DC4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 116
  • o2.jpg
    o2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 134
  • SP_Fotaf.jpg
    SP_Fotaf.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 125
  • prod_98w.jpg
    prod_98w.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 118
Hi everyone!

One would think so, but here's what I've found. First off, the SLR adapter (for the Swarovski, i.e. their TLS 800) is very expensive, and also sticks out pretty far at a right angle to the scope, creating a bulky package that would be difficult to carry around safely. I haven't tried their swing-away adapter, also because of its bulk and expense. One can improvise by using the simpler adapter designed for lighter cameras, but you need to support the SLR's weight in some way and it's not a satisfactory arrangement for the long run. As a last straw, when I've experimented with my Pentax SLR it has great difficulty autofocussing through the scope. (It's also about impossible to use manual focus. This limitation may be less serious in other models.) The upshot is that I'm using a Nikon P5100 with the DCA adapter. The dim view in the display window and the lower-quality optics are compensated by ease of use, portability, and better focus.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back