• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Top 10 birding areas worldwide (1 Viewer)

redmill

I am gathering information regarding birdwatching around the world. I am interested to find out members opinions as to the top 10 birdwatching locations worldwide. More importantly, how does Tropical North Queensland rate? This could best be described as an area within a 200klm radius of Cairns.
Thank you in advance for your assistance

Top Areas

Hello,

I did not made a list of birds when I was in Australia ( 4 x ).
Someone from Great Bustard area in Germany told me he has defined about 400 different birds when he was in Australia for 4 weeks.
Different kind of landscape is needed to find really a big different kind of birds.
deep forest, open forest, bush, swamps, rivers, meadows and so on

The most different kind of birds should have Amboro national parc in Bolivia.
About 840 different kind of birds was defined in this NP.

Best regards
Dieter

birding NE Spain

I am gathering information regarding birdwatching around the world. I am interested to find out members opinions as to the top 10 birdwatching locations worldwide. More importantly, how does Tropical North Queensland rate? This could best be described as an area within a 200klm radius of Cairns.
Thank you in advance for your assistance

What do you mean by location? Catalonia in NE Spain has more breeding species than anywhere on the Iberian peninsular (due to habitat variation), as well as being situated on major migration routes between Europe and Africa, and I feel very fortunate to live here.

But may be you mean smaller birding sites such as the Ebro Delta, Camargue, etc. For me the Pyrenees would have it, though that's huge too! You can't beat a Lammergeier with the prospect of Wallcreeper, Alpine Accentor, Snowfinch and Black Woodpecker whilst you're waiting!

All the best

Top 10 Birding destinations

I am particularly interested in members opinions of their 10 most popular birding destinations world wide.

For me the Pyrenees would have it, though that's huge too! You can't beat a Lammergeier with the prospect of Wallcreeper, Alpine Accentor, Snowfinch and Black Woodpecker whilst you're waiting!

If you're after the ultimate in birding destinations, forget the Pyrenees, head to the Himalaya - Lammergeir common overhead, Wallcreeper on the shingle banks in the rivers, woodpeckers to put Europe's to shame, an exotic range of accentors, and bird supreme, Ibisbills knocking the spots off anything in Europe. All to a backdrop that makes the Pyrenees look like a gentle copy of the South Downs ;)

I haven't been everywhere yet, so trying to limit my response to something meaningful here are my top 10 birding areas in the continental United States (lower 48 states).

1. South East Arizona
2. Rio Grande Valley, TX
3. Salton Sea, CA
4. High Island, TX (Gulf Coast in general)
5. Sax-Zim Bog, MN
6. South Florida
7. Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
8. Cape May, NJ
9. Monterey Bay, CA
10. Klamath Basin, CA

This list is based on my experiences in these places and not just on the bird lists they produced, though the two are somewhat linked. Also, some major omissions are due to areas I have so far missed (the central plains states). Point Pele would have made the list, but somebody put in in Canada by mistake :)

If you take a 200 km radius around Barinas in venezuela you will get both hato pinero, hato cedral, the azulita road, the maracaibo basin etc.. this area would be hard to beat.

The area around the atherton table lands I'm sure I would put in my top ten places I have birded.

Having visited Panama recently, I would propose it as an outstanding birding destination. I know it doesn't quite compare to some nearby countries in South America in terms of number of species but nearly 1000 in a small country is very good. Its not too far to travel between the highlands in the West, Chiriqui, and in the East, the Darien. Of course Pipeline Road, Achiote Road, Cerro Azul and many other sites lie in between.

Hello Andrew,

Don't forget to include East Africa.
On a 14 days tour through Kenya I will guarantee you a minimum of 500 different species - probably you will see around 750.

East African Ranking list:
1. Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda 606
2. Tarangire National Park, Tanzania 550
3. Nairobi National Park, Kenya 500
4. Serengeti National Park, Tanzania 500
5. Ruaha National Park, Tanzania 480
6. Kidepo Valley National Park, Uganda 470
7. Lake Baringo, Kenya 450
8. Lake Naivasha, Kenya 450
9. Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya 450
10. Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania 440

Regards

I will try to limit my reply to South America, not necessarily in order, but here goes 10 great destinations with suitable infra-structure (there are even better places, but with no structure for the travelling birder):

- Parque do Zizo private reserve: in the middle of the largest Atlantic Rainforest reminiscent, sitting in the middle of prime rainforest. Several rare birds sighted here, as well as many endemics.

- Itatiaia: specially the higher parts, where you can find the high altitude specialties that pretty much only occur there.

- Lagoa do Peixe N.P.: in south Brazil this big brackish water shallow lagoon is the winter destination of a huge number arctic and antartic shorebirds and terns as well as flamingos and a bunch of other cool birds.

- Pantanal: the biggest wetland in the world is home to a huge number of water birds, raptors, etc. Great wildlife watching too (as in mammals), no place on Earth is as easy to see a wild jaguar for instance.

- Falklands: never been there but the place is great for many saltwater birds, like albatrosses, penguins, shearwaters, etc. Several ducks inland too.

I'll think of other places soon...

Here are my top ten "areas" Faunal Regions in no partciular order - not been to all of them sadly:

Bornean Lowlands, e.g. Danum Valley
North East India - Arunchal Pradesh, e.g. Mishmi Hills, Namdapha etc
New Guinea - Highlands best
New Zealand - bizarre endemics & seabirds
Congolese Forest Belt in Central Africa, eg Congo Peafowl, Okapi
Madagascar - Eastern Wet Forests
South East Brazil forests
Pantanal - big Macaws and Jaguars
Peru, Ecuador, Columbia - East Andean Slope
Ecuador, Columbia - Choco

Sorry tropical Queensland doesn't cut the mustard - its a poor man's New Guinea really.

A few others that could be there or there abouts:

Sulawesi
Hawaii
Darien

Cheers, alan

I haven't been to South America yet ( have plans for Galapagos this year and Costa Rica next year ) but of the places I have been I would have to recommend
Klamath Falls on the border of Oregon and California
http://www.fws.gov/klamathbasinrefuges/
and Mai Po Nature Reserve in Hong Kong for migrating waders (shorebirds ). Up to 40 species can be recording during the season
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157610343782765/
and Northern Florida in winter based around Titusville.
Neil.

The Wadden Sea should definitely be in there somewhere!
490000 ha of intertidal flat for waders. For comparison: ALL of the English tidal flats in total are about 300000 ha.

Venezuela Andes (from Merida)
Costa Rica (several locations)
Panama (several locations)
South Florida
South Texas
S.E. Arizona
Bosque del Apache, New Mexico
Calgary, Canada
Palenque, Mexico
and of course Trinidad & Tobago!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back