• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

revivingKensArt (1 Viewer)

I'm officially a fan, Ken - you're working in an ultra professional way with fantastic results. Marvellous, friend - just marvellous!!!

the terns are astonishing - love them - and this little osprey pic is a wonderfuly rich piece of work looking deceptively simple.

very smart- I've got a mild preference for the one-but-last of the terns with the slightly less broken up darks, as it gives greater focus on the Black Tern as the birder's bird

last version, there's a more equal prominence to everything all round (to my way of looking)

as for the osprey- you can tell it is spot on, without clicking on the thumbnail

Thanks all. You're far, far too kind!

Interesting thoughts on the terns Ed. I feared I might lose something as I worked more on it and ended up going more for the overall feel of the print than the focus on the Black Tern. Hopefully people will eventually settle on it as the centerpiece after roaming around the print for a bit. On the other hand I'm sure that there are few who will spend the time on it that some of the great critics right here will. You can't ask for more than an audience that actually looks at what you do!

Nice work, Ken! The lino is very striking and has a nice graphic quality, and as others noted, the Osprey sketch captures everything one needs to know to immediately see Osprey. And, yes, it does seem late for them. We have a few stay through October out here, and fewer in November - but the vast majority are gone by now.

Nice work, once again, Ken. I was particularly struck by the lino cut. I'm aware you're quite an exponent of thsi medium. I'm not such a fan of it, but this could change my view, it's a very striking composition, mate.
Nice Osprey too, sir. I happened upon one in Tenerife and enjoyed it despite my zoom eyepiece misting up. This little sketch brings it back to life a smuch as my own efforts.

Russ

Thanks everyone. Russ it's not so much I'm an exponent of linocuts as that I found that they seemed to work well for me. Sometimes you just stumble upon something that seems to work somewhat effortlessly for you.

Unlike Colleen the two works below are not seminal in the slightest, just some easygoing experimentation, almost like flash paintings.

We saw what seems to me to be a fairly late Common Buckeye butterfly yesterday. This is based more on a photo I took than the field sketch I did but I don't think I would have done this if I hadn't forced myself to do the sketch. Runny ink and watercolor.

The other is a very small linocut, based on the quick ink and watercolor osprey of last week. This is 4x6 inches. My plan is to hand color some or all of these in watercolor once the ink dries. I have no idea as to whether or not this will lead to anything successful. But I just feel like giving it a try.

Attachments

• commonBuckeyeWC112611.jpg
    commonBuckeyeWC112611.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 42
  • ospreyLinoED112611.jpg
    ospreyLinoED112611.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 41
lovely butterfly piece, and look forward to the experiements...should be great to be able to treat the same work in several different ways with color.

Thanks Colleen. I actually hope to make most of the linocuts the same once I paint one that seems successful. But framing and printing for a holiday show at the local art center, along with a nasty cold, has limited my artmaking for the last week.

So below is the only print that I've added watercolor to so far. Soon I'll try some variations. And, a photo from my studio of most of the works for the show, four framed works for the walls and four more matted prints for the print bin. Who knows? No sales so far at this art center but you never know.

One thing I never thought about when joining the center was how often work can be exhibited. So that's been good in that it's forced me to reacquaint myself with things like making frames and mats. Even better I've discovered that there are some adequate ready-made frames that aren't all that expensive, at least for my small works. In any case it's nice to constantly have stuff out on exhibit.

Attachments

• mracEntries120111.jpg
    mracEntries120111.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 54
  • ospreyLinoWCNo1112711.jpg
    ospreyLinoWCNo1112711.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 40
Thanks all. Glad you like the combination of lino and osprey ospreyscotbird! Show opens today so after that I hope to get back to work with something new.

Yesterday we saw what I think was a Lincoln's Sparrow. I was so busy looking at it, trying to decide definitively what it was, that I didn't take any photos or do any sketches even though both sketchbook and camera were ready to hand. But the bird left too quickly and never reappeared.

Today I did some drawings from memory and also this quick watercolor based on a photo from a bird seen last May. It's such a striking sparrow I wanted to at least do something to commemorate it.

Attachments

• lincolnsSparrowWC120411.jpg
    lincolnsSparrowWC120411.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 41
Hmmmm. nice work, Ken. This got me thinking! Had I actually seen one at Pelee in 2003? No, it was Henslow's Sparrow, and quite a 'deal' it was, too.
Same ball park then!
In the phenomenal Sibley guide all the yankee sparrows appear to be demoted right to the back of the book. Poor blighters!

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back