• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (1 Viewer)

Wonderful Nick, there isn't a better sight or sound!

Thought I also had a Sandhill but decided it was a junior Hooded, a pity. Yes they certainly were wonderful. Unfortunately they were a long way out where you can't drive but luckily we managed to ask someone who did have permission to drive us out there. Only had about ten mins there could have stayed hours!

Cheers
Nick

There are 14+ Japanese Waxwings together with 8+ Bohemian Waxwings at the Botanical Gardens in Beijing. Also several Dusky, Naumann's (including some intergrades), Black-throated and Red-throated Thrushes plus the usual Chinese Nuthatch, Chinese Grosbeak and Chinese Bulbuls.

Terry

Thanks
Might see if I can get an hour there late tomorrow afternoon!

Cheers
Nick

Thought I also had a Sandhill but decided it was a junior Hooded, a pity.

Always worth checking carefully. Several times I've seen Sandhill with a similar collective of Grus through Beidaihe and have always been struck by just how small they are in flight alongside Common. Hooded of course are smaller, perhaps just slightly bigger than SC, in flight anyway, and to confuse further, occasionally pair up with CC. Hybrid CommonxHooded are also rather interesting.

Hope you manage to get the mixed flock of Waxwings, a special sight indeed.

Just posted some images of the Japanese Waxwings at the Botanical Gardens on my blog.

For those able to visit, the birds were frequenting some ornamental berry bushes between the two entrances to the gardens along the main road. If you enter via the first gate, turn immediately left and walk for 200 metres or so before heading right (away from the road). If you enter via the second entrance near the crossroads (the one with the car park), turn right immediately on entering the gardens and after 200-300 metres head away from the road. The birds are quite vocal and often sit in the tops of the tallest trees, so they should be fairly obvious if they are around.

Last edited:
Wonderful pix . . and delighted to see another Beijing/China birding blog. I never really got the full benefit of the Botanical Gardens or Wild Duck Lake when I was birding in Beijing in 1990-91, so its fascinating and gripping to follow your site.

Cheers
Mike

Great stuff Terry, never been to the botanical gardens either, must do one day soon.

I shall savour the Yunnan report later, regards to Jesper when you next see him.

Mark

Great pics Terry

Managed a couple of hours at the Botanical Gardens and saw the Japanese Waxwings fly over my head near the Educational Centre. They landed in a tall tree near the ornamental berry bushes but only stayed there for 5 mins and then left (about 10 of them) and never saw them again even though I kept popping back hoping for a photo! But still a lifer, thanks for the info! Several Black-throated and Red-throated Thrushes also about as were the other birds you mentioned except the Nuthatch!

Hi rockfowl,
I did have it down as a Sandhill, looked very much like a Sandhill but read somewhere on Birdforum that they can look like Juv Hooded so suspected they were those. Just didn't have enough time at the distance they were at to confim.

Hopefully Dali, in Yunnan will be good this weekend!

Cheers
Nick

Dong Tan reserve on Ching Ming island near Shanghai produced 3 different cranes in a group of around 80 birds on 27Nov10, Hooded, Siberian and Common. What a sight!

Cheers
Nick
Hi Nick r u the guy from R&R?Next time u may try a day with higher tide to Dongtan to see the real Sandhill.
On 28 Nov I was in Poyang Lake.Two Baer's Pochard were still in the same lake,with a lot more geese incl. Swan Goose banded in Mongolia.
My friend rushed from Poyang to Shengjin Lake to see the two Dalmatian Pelican.
Another friend in Shanghai saw B and J Waxwing together.
What an exciting winter!Dreaming about my next Yellow-billed Loon...

Hi mcaribou,
Indeed I am, I am certainly sold on Chong Ming, hopefully will be back in Jan if I can sort out my trip accordingly

I loved my trip to Poyang some years ago what a great place. Now I know Chong Ming much better I will know which area to concentrate on :t:

Cheers
Nick

Nick
Good!Yr colleage may take us to Yancheng for cranes.Hope to see Sandhill again.
BTW,4 Sandhill in Yancheng on 4/5 Dec,and mixed flock of B and J Waxwings.

Yesterday I went to Binjiang Park in Shanghai for the mixed flock of B and J Waxwings.No B but 18 J,the largest flock I've ever seen:)

Last edited:
A cold front just passed Rudong.Only a few small waders there.No Spooner.
But this morning two big surprises for this warm autumn/winter--one male Pallas's Rosefinch and one female Eurasian Bullfinch!

Those are excellent records!

Does anyone know how many previous records there of either finch around Shanghai or south of the Yangze?

I'm guessing not many (if any)

Cheers
Mike

The Japanese and bohemian waxwings indeed have been in Shanghai! You can see my shots here:

http://www.shwbs.org/swb/read.php?tid=5355&fpage=0&toread=&page=1

The photos of the waxwings come in little bunches at a few places in the thread. I also have shots there of a Japanese thrush that flew into Shanghai a few months ago. Other migrants also.

Very nice, the Black-throated Tit is a little belter! The Japanese Thrush is an immature male though, probably 2cy, again a cracker!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back