• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (4 Viewers)

Thanks both.....will have to examine them more clearly from now on.....I just thought "oh Pied Wag"...lol

Only popped in around the area as I was going to Upton.
Wind had got up and it was not that sunny either but the Ring Ouzels showed up after just a few minutes....One flew onto the hedge from the left and then the other appeared on the floor.

Keith :t:

Spotted Flycatchers

Sat 20th April......

On way to look for Barny I got waylaid by the misty canal so got to the field at about 6.30.
No luck with the Barn Owl so moved on to try for the Ouzel....waylaid again watching the Little Owls - at the Ouzel field again no luck so on top Bittell where again no luck finding the Tern......Shortage of main spots but a great morning to be out and about -mainly as it's the only day this year without a roaring Gale around the nether regions.

Pics to follow much later.

Update.....The little Owl watching 2 women walking past.

Does my mentioning a Barn Owl(oops done it again) upset anyone.......

It appears in might have........I don't think I have broken any code that could endanger these magnificent birds.
I don't think it's anyone who comments on here but probably ones who do read things.

Anyway I have dropped into the Ouzels field all week and I have not seen them since Tuesday...the Weds 7.30 pm sighting might have been the last.

40 years ago I spotted a certain bird not too far from home (in Worcestershire though) and despite frequent visits over the years....one that cost me my cars plates I have not seen one here since.
Today I popped along and was not holding out much hope for anything as the intervening years have seen the habitat altered which in turn has lost us Lapwing,Blackcap,Partridge to name just a few.....added to this list I thought my 40 year old spot but no there were I think 2 showing and performing well.
I did my usual quiet look around and then set up "camp" hiding -at the bottom of a tree amongst the sheep crap-for a couple of hours in which I had
Spotted Flycatcher
Whitethroat
Chiffchaff/Willow Warbler
Moorhen
Mallard
Buzzard
Great Tit
BlueTit
Not a mega list but when you can only see about 20-30 yards in front and one side it shows what you get when you let the birds come to you.
During my stint I sat through rain and a little sun - had another birder turn up and then a short hail period......also the wind was a bit cold as well.
The birds only showed during the sunny time but after I left the skies went total blue so the fellow birder hopefully got some better results than me.

1+2 Big crops and still distant Flycatcher.
3.Bit nearer W'throat.
4.Following on from my recent dead Pike pic - here's a dead Lamb.

Attachments

• Canon 103 105 A.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 103 105 A.jpg low.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Canon 103 106 A.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 103 106 A.jpg low.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Canon 103 110.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 103 110.jpg low.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Canon 103 075.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 103 075.jpg low.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Superb shots of an increasingly rare bird that hasnt yet been reported widely in the country let alone setting up territories. Just shows there are birds out there not just excellent photos but perfect patchwork knowing the potential sites and putting the time in.

Revisited the site of the Spotted Fly today...I was really hot when I got there after a brisk walk with all the gear (and 2 coats) from home.It was sunny then but it soon clouded over and in the wind it was freezing again.
I have not confirmed how many SF's there are but it (they) was active flitting out into the open and back to the trees - it knew I was there and kept to far end so I crept around and it then went up to the end I had come from.So I pretended to leave and walked in a large arc down and around the field and inched back to the original place where I had been....it worked partially and it came 1/2 way to me.
I was thinking next time I would arrive with someone else and hide while they noisily left at the far side to try and fox it when all of a sudden there WAS a noise at the far side as about 4 noisy people walked past and then came close to the trees it was in and it flew down to where I was.
It eventually settled down about 3/4's towards me but with the crap light and wind was not letting me get any good pics.
Then disaster ....my battery ran out (spare was in car-at home...bugger as a Whitethroat popped out right by my feet..that was it I left as I did not want to have the Spotted Fly on the end of the lens without being able to snap it.

Had some different birds here today and this is the full list....
Spotted Flycatcher
Whitethroat
Chiffchaff/Willow Warbler
Moorhen
Mallard
Buzzard
Great Tit
BlueTit
Crow
Jackdaw
Jay,Magpie
Blackcap (male)
Greenfinch (pair)
Goldfinch 2
Chaffinch
Unknown Gull
Blackbird doing the normal 100MPH fly through.

The Chiffchaff or Willow Warblers were very active and there was a real variance in colours from all brown to some nice Yellowish ones...are they different species or just a good mix of plumage.

1+2...Warblers
3...Greenie
4...Midday nap
5. Blackcap.

Attachments

• Canon 105 015.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 105 015.jpg low.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Canon 105 004.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 105 004.jpg low.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Canon 105 028.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 105 028.jpg low.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Canon 105 024.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 105 024.jpg low.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Canon 105 010 low.jpg
    Canon 105 010 low.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
More pics........
1..Another warbler
2...Spotty
3 Buzzard.

All pics were BIG crops and most in crap light....apart from the Lambs.

Attachments

• Canon 105 006.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 105 006.jpg low.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Canon 105 040.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 105 040.jpg low.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Canon 103 038.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 103 038.jpg low.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Keith

This is a fairly early Spot Fly (I might be wrong, but it could be the earliest in Worcestershire this year - I certainly don't recall having seen any reported elsewhere). I think Brian Stretch would be interested in its presence (assuming you haven't already told him).
I've just realised you actually got it on the 27th!

Sy

Last edited:
Hi Simon...I never even thought it might be important...I do not know who Brian is but another chap turned up later on Saturday and may have imformed someone.

More pics........
1..Another warbler
2...Spotty
3 Buzzard.

All pics were BIG crops and most in crap light....apart from the Lambs.

Keith, I was planning a walk up from Cofton to the Bittells tomorrow. Any advice on where to find the Spotted Fly would be much appreciated, Alex (pm me if preferred)

Hi Simon...I never even thought it might be important...I do not know who Brian is but another chap turned up later on Saturday and may have informed someone.

Keith

Brian Stretch is the most recently retired Worcestershire Recorder... He goes by a forum membership name of Brian Stretch.
Seriously though, he maintains http://www.worcesterbirdingnews.co.uk/ and http://www.worcesterbirding.co.uk/. A lot of us send our sightings to Brian by text who we know will put them out on the web and pass them on to the current Worcestershire Recorder.
Your 27th April Spot Fly has not featured. I have info'd Brian. I have his text number, but I'll wait for Brian's say so before giving it to you (hope you understand).

Sy

Had an hour and a half at the Spotted Fly site ...and after the great amount of species at the weekend it was virtually empty.
It was around 8pm and so dark when anything showed at all.....but they were 2 new ones...a Wren and a male Reed Bunting (one for Reg that).
No Swallow etc yet but the re really should be.
Just as I was leaving a very large and red Fox was moving through the sheep that stayed very still while looking after the Lambs..he saw me and ran off in teh end.

Loads of Swallows on the wires all around the area and I had a Red legged Partridge towards Redditch.

Oh and a couple of sites where pairs of lapwing have set up shop.

Apologies for the lack of quality on the pics.....TOO SUNNY....or DARK...lol

1 Partridge.
2 Swallow
3 Lapwing
4 Foxy

Attachments

• Canon 108 019.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 108 019.jpg low.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Canon 108 039.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 108 039.jpg low.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Canon 108 057.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 108 057.jpg low.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Canon 108 073.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 108 073.jpg low.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 78
Beep Beep......

Another day and totally different conditions.....yesterday it was hot sun and the Swallows were hanging out on the wires but today the afternoon turned cloudy,cold and windy...all I got was one Swallow,a few Buzzards and another R R.L.Partridge

Yesterdays Partridge was near the back of the prison and today I had one doing a "road Runner" just down from Barnt Green...it looked so funny - more like Usain Bolt, dashing about - head back and chest out going flat out across the road into the field along the hedge,back again and under the hedge and finally back across the road into the original field.
Small things....

Snakey thing.......

I know that warblers and in particular a Grasshopper have previously been heard/spotted along the little stream area at the back of the leisure centre area at Barnt Green so had a little walk around yesterday afternoon.
No warblers but Treecreeper and a noisy pair of Nuthatches kept me amused.The main spot was a 1st for me ..a Snakey thing .....about 2 foot long greyish with no real markings.....thought it was a branch at first but it started moving (cue little girlie jump),and squirmed off under the grass.Could not coax it out again though.Think it was probably a SLOW WORM......a big one though I think as I thought they were lizard size.

I was out and about from 6am on Sunday .....over by the Spotted Fly area .....the fields at the back of the fishery and as in above post around Barnt Green.
Spent a lot of the time sitting in wet ground waiting-waiting - waiting......and not a lot turned up.
The Male Reed Bunting was at Wast Hills again along with a lot of Blue Tits but no warblers...I think the earlier good spots were from ones just moving through.
Had 2 spells trying for the Kingfisher on the little River Arrow and again no sightings....just a few Wrens. treecreepers,Geat Tits,Buzzard,the usual hoards of Corvids,very vocal Green Woodpecker,Herring Gull and a few pairs of Greenfinch.
Loads of Peacock butterflies everywhere with a few Whites.
Keith.:t:

Attachments

• Canon 111 018.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 111 018.jpg low.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Canon 111 019.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 111 019.jpg low.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Canon 111 020.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 111 020.jpg low.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Canon 111 046.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 111 046.jpg low.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Canon 111 093.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 111 093.jpg low.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 58
And a few more.
Do Greenfiches like conifers over other trees a s I have seen them on only 3 occasions and they were all in conifers ( over a large area-no same birds).
Keith

Attachments

• Canon 111 070.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 111 070.jpg low.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Canon 111 069.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 111 069.jpg low.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 57
  • Canon 111 089 A.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 111 089 A.jpg low.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Canon 111 063.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 111 063.jpg low.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Canon 111 042.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 111 042.jpg low.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Not been around the area for some time as can't be everywhere at same time...also been a bit ill.
Coming back from Feckenham i dodged around the lanes below Barnt Green/Alvechurch and got these Swallow/Martins and Lapwing in same place.

Attachments

• Canon 121 069.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 121 069.jpg low.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Canon 121 054.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 121 054.jpg low.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Canon 121 065.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 121 065.jpg low.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Canon 121 056.jpg low.jpg