• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent sketches (1 Viewer)

love the "shag" I think you call it....and both of them the one you finished and the one you didn't Also noticed for the first time the construction of your drawing of lots of scratchy lines that make the bird, not one hard one...and all the different texture you put that still gives light and dark...one of my favourites of all your drawings...so full of life and sound!

Thanks chappies.

Spent three plus hours at Pugney's CP the other day sketching Ringed Plovers. I set out to try and capture the head pattern through pure observation, rather than knowing what's there. I've found that with a distinctly patterned head such as this, it's hellishly dificult to make it fit if the angle of the head is not observed correctly. These come off, in a style.
A couple of side-on poses and aomething a bit more adventrous. Birds facing away seem to be the easier, as there's less going off!
Cracking birds to draw, especially face-on or near face-on. They seem to be a favourite on here - here's my take on 'em.

Russ

Attachments

• 03 July 2010.jpg
    03 July 2010.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 03 July 2010 (2).jpg
    03 July 2010 (2).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 03 July 2010 (3).jpg
    03 July 2010 (3).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 03 July 2010 (4).jpg
    03 July 2010 (4).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 03 July 2010 (5).jpg
    03 July 2010 (5).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 44
A treat to see your take on them Russ. They seem finely observed. Like Nick I'm taken especially with number three and also number five. But all are a pleasure to look at.

Russ,

As always, the field sketches I delight in seeing constantly!

Wonderful wonderful wonderful!

These RPs are living and moving, and created by a WHOLLY ARTISTIC INDIVIDUAL!

Like it or loathe it...you are an Artist my friend!

And a REALLY RATHER GOOD ONE at that!

More please!!!

Thanks guys. Aye, the RP is one of those species that seems to be a favourite with artists - I guess it's a combination of plumage, character and the environment they are usually in i.e there's nearly always lots of interesting stones and pebbles, or smooth sand, to sit your bird against.

Three Tuftie studies of birds in various preening, exercising modes. A lot more engaging and challenging than side-on portraits. I do find it very difficult to develop the form and define where the 'creases and bumps' are in preening studies without over-doing it, but I think I'm slowly getting there.

Quick sketch of a local rarity - Turtle Dove. Now as common as Rocking Horse XXXX in the Hudds area, this bird was regularly visiting my mate's neighbour's garden oop on't moors. I spend too much tome sketching collared Doves at home to really get excited about this from an artitsic point of view, but they are a different class to the collareds.

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• 11 July 2010.jpg
    11 July 2010.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 41
  • 11 July 2010 (2).jpg
    11 July 2010 (2).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 11 July 2010 (3).jpg
    11 July 2010 (3).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 11 July 2010 (4).jpg
    11 July 2010 (4).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 42
Love the preening studies Russ! Full of life and personality!
Lucky! Haven't seen Turtle Dove this year. So scarce now. Such a shame. One of my favourite birds.
Just to jump on your bandwagon. Here are some pencils I did of said bird some time ago...

Attachments

• Turtle Doves Haldon.JPG
    Turtle Doves Haldon.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 42
Great Turts, Phil. Done in your usual inimitable style.

Spent a bit of time with the Old Moor Meds again recently. Two sketches here of birds that , if they were represented as 'proper' works of art could be titled 'Med gull and daisies' or, more fanciful - 'vigil in the ox-eyes' (now there's a thought!)

Little Owl sketched at my less and less visited local patch (man and fido now rule here, alas). An hour stood trying to capture this gave me the same old difficulties of accurately getting the face pattern down. However, I found it's easier to draw the eyes in first. First pix is of an A4 sized bird - almost Tawny size! It reminds me a bit of a superb Robert Gilmore pen drawing on a late 80's BB cover. It's nice to sketch something a bit different for a change, and there's more on the way.

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• 13 July 2010.jpg
    13 July 2010.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 13 July 2010 (2).jpg
    13 July 2010 (2).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 13 July 2010 (3).jpg
    13 July 2010 (3).jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 13 July 2010 (4).jpg
    13 July 2010 (4).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 44
Hi there Russ...

Great to see all this work, great stuff all of it. Lesser BB Gulls are my personal taste, been watching gulls of late. The Ring Plovers are delightful too, wonderful to draw!

Hi there Russ...

Great to see all this work, great stuff all of it. Lesser BB Gulls are my personal taste, been watching gulls of late. The Ring Plovers are delightful too, wonderful to draw!

Cheers Alan.
Aye, I'm hoping to see a lot more of your larids. A fair portion of my autumn is spent with Lesser Bb's,( loafing on local resevoirs ) so feel free to deliver more inspiration.

Russ

Great stuff, as usual Russ. The Med Gull is superb. I love the quality of sketching in the Little Owls. Something quite magical about these portrayals. The bird's environment is starting to creep in. That is a very good sign indeed!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back