• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2011 List Going? (1 Viewer)

During a break between destructive thunderstorms, I got out and did a little birding. One new bird for the year, so my Year List is at 444.

444. Palm Warbler

In addition to the warbler, I added Spotted Sandpiper and American Redstart to my ABA Area and Indiana year lists, which are at 170 and 163, respectively.

Dave

Walking the dog around the neighborhood, I observed a new year bird taking up residence in a neighbor's birdhouse.

145. House Wren

Also got my FOY MD Gray Catbirds (got one back in March in FL). Two individuals staking out territory. Hopefully we'll have another nest in the yard as we did last year!

Two more new birds today, including a relatively rare vagrant (scoter). My Year List is therefore up to 446.

445. Black Scoter
446. Gray Catbird

In addition to the birds listed above, I added Red-eyed Vireo and Scarlet Tanager to my ABA Area and Indiana year lists, which are at 174 and 167, respectively.

Dave

I should have seen this next bird before now, but just saw it for the first time this year in our backyard!

161. Winter Wren, Troglodytes hiemalis

* I should see the House Wren before very long!

I should have seen this next bird before now, but just saw it for the first time this year in our backyard!

161. Winter Wren, Troglodytes hiemalis

* I should see the House Wren before very long!

I hear ya, Larry... I'm still missing Winter Wren! :C

Yesterday I took the dog on a long hike and subsequent (unplanned) swim in a local state park (which I actually have yet to bird "for real") - in addition to hearing a singing Hermit Thrush (bagged that guy on Jan 1st), I also heard:

146. Ovenbird
147. Wood Thrush

Then a beautiful morning out birding in my favorite spring patch today yielded:

148. Orchard Oriole
149. Warbling Vireo
150. Baltimore Oriole
151. Yellow Warbler
152. Eastern Kingbird
153. Scarlet Tanager (2 males singing!)
154. Brown Thrasher
155. Field Sparrow

MD year list is currently at 123.

So, Alex, you have seen 32 of the birds mentioned in other states/provinces/countries?

We have been having unseasonably cool/rainy/stormy weather here and that is stalling the migrants somewhat from coming up into northwest Missouri where we live. But, it should not be too much longer before we will have a strong push of birds working their way into/through our area.

So, Alex, you have seen 32 of the birds mentioned in other states/provinces/countries?

Yeah - all in the U.S., though. Half from the 3 hours of birding I got in outside of Orlando, FL in mid-March (Limpkin, White Ibis, Mottled Duck, etc.), and half from VA from a mid-February trip to Chincoteague (mostly shorebirds and a lifer Rough-legged Hawk). You can see my full list, including state of first sighting, here at BUBO Listing:

http://www.bubo.org/Listing/view-list.html?list_id=9023

Last edited:
I am up to 515 (all in Costa Rica) but would have at least 20 more if I had been able to bird migration hotspots on the Caribbean Slope during Spring migration. I hope I can get out more when the birds come back down this way.

Two more birds today, so I'm up to 450 for the year. (Only two species per outing seems to be my magic number lately).

449. Indigo Bunting
450. Kentucky Warbler

Dave

Sorry folks, this just was not a year for year lists. I may do a May only list.

I do have a Black Phoebe on the tiny list, once again.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back