• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2011 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Currently in Missouri, Insufferably Hot! (* But, the weather forecasters are predicting some "not so hot temps" coming up.)

We are back from Indiana and I may go out tomorrow and see what is about in the Saint Joseph, Missouri, area. I do not do the grassland birds survey in south Missouri until the 18th-20th of June, so maybe I can add a couple of new year birds here before I head down south.

Finally, a new bird for the year and my first in two weeks. That puts my Year List at 501.

501. Black-billed Cuckoo

That was also a state lifer (number 304), my second this year.

Dave

Got a few more birds around Phoenix and Prescott, Arizona.
258. Gambel's Quail
259. Costa's Hummingbird
260. Acorn Woodpecker
261. Gila Woodpecker
262. Ladder-backed Woodpecker
263. Western Wood-Pewee
264. Say's Phoebe
265. Common Raven
266. Violet-green Swallow
267. Bridled Titmouse
268. Cactus Wren
269. Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
270. Western Bluebird
271. Curve-billed Thrasher
272. Phainopepla
273. Lucy's Warbler
274. Spotted Towhee
275. Abert's Towhee
276. Dark-eyed Junco
277. Hepatic Tanager
278. Black-headed Grosbeak
279. Hairy Woodpecker
280. Rosy-faced Lovebird
281. Black-chinned Sparrow
282. Ash-throated Flycatcher.

May be a couple more but I need ID confirmation.

Jeff

Last edited:
Today I added Neotropic Cormorant to my ABA Area and Indiana years lists, which are at 248 and 224, respectively.

The cormorant was also an Indiana state lifer (number 305), my second in three days and third of the year.

Dave

My 2011 Missouri List has not seen any additions for quite some time now. But, I should be able to add five or six species during my upcoming five day, Breeding Block Surveys down in southern Missouri, which begins this coming Saturday.

Yesterday evening I observed a new 2011 Missouri Bird at Pigeon Hill Conservation Area south of Saint Joseph, Missouri.

232. Whip-poor-will

Today I chased a Curlew Sandpiper, which was an ABA Area lifer three weeks ago in New Jersey, and which would have been an Indiana state lifer. I dipped on that, but added Semipalmated Sandpiper and Dunlin to my Indiana year list, which is up to 226.

Dave

While down in southern Missouri doing Grassland Breeding Bird Surveys I added ten "year" birds to my 2011 Missouri List. These species were seen on the count blocks or adjacent areas:

233. Pine Warbler
234. Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
235. Prairie Warbler
236. Prothonotary Warbler
237. Osprey
238. Carolina Chickadee
239. Mississippi Kite
240. Chuck-will's-widow
241. Black Vulture
242. Painted Bunting

Went down to Brazoria NWR to add a few birds to my list: Kites, Wood Stork and Cuckoo.

Had no luck at all: The refuge is almost totally dry and has few birds, mainly Meadowlarks and Red-winged Blackbirds.

If this drought keeps up, the summer is going to be a very barren time for birding in our area.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

It is flooding here! We are getting to much rain and much water coming down the major waterways into our area. Missouri has been declared a "disaster area" due to all the water. We are "high and dry" here in our home, but others are not so fortunate. We are also experiencing high winds and tornadoes! Saint Joseph, Missouri (our hometown) has been spared thus far.

I recorded only one new Missouri year bird for 2011 while conducting a couple of Grassland Breeding Bird Surveys this past week.

243. Henslow's Sparrow (up in northwestern Missouri near Kirksville)

It is flooding here! We are getting to much rain and much water coming down the major waterways into our area. Missouri has been declared a "disaster area" due to all the water. We are "high and dry" here in our home, but others are not so fortunate. We are also experiencing high winds and tornadoes! Saint Joseph, Missouri (our hometown) has been spared thus far.

Hope you stay dry and safe, Larry!
Here we're in the odd position of actually hoping for a tropical storm or even a minor hurricane.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Just got back from a nonbirding trip to West Virginia. I did get in a little birding, however, and managed to pick up two new birds for the year, my first since June 11. I'm now up to 503 for the year.

502. Veery
503. Alder Flycatcher

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back