• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Torts, Norway (1 Viewer)

SveinB

They are both from my garden trap this morning.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Svein B

Attachments

• SB2_3050.JPG
    SB2_3050.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 38
  • SB2_3057.JPG
    SB2_3057.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 41
I should have said that in the first post- but the one ID'ed as E. gimmerthaliana is quite large, 10 mm length. I was thinking maybe E. maculana or E. solandriana at first.

I had another tort in my trap today, very vey small- about 5 mm length. I add a photo of that one too. Am I right about E. gimmerthaliana for this one too- or maybe E. cruciana??

Svein B

Attachments

• SB2_3106.JPG
    SB2_3106.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 32
Yes, this looks like gimmerthaliana to me, too.
The second moth could be maculana.

Last edited:
I have been looking over and over for the moth on photo #2 here, I must admit I am a bit in doubt about it. I think it might be Epinotia indecorana, a species I have never seen before. I had two more in my trap today, I add photos of them too. What do You think?

Svein B

Attachments

• SB2_3114.JPG
    SB2_3114.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 29
  • SB2_3121.JPG
    SB2_3121.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
You are probably right. E. indecorana is smaller than maculana, the dorsal blotch of which has no clear borders. These have a distinct, grey dorsal blotch, which make them Epinotia indecorana. It is not sure if E. trigonella and indecorana are different species.

Ok, thanks a lot for Your comment again Harri. I add two new photos of another one of the same "type", but I am thinking this might be E. trigonella, with the bright dorsal blotch. Any thoughts about that?

Svein B

Attachments

• SB2_3152.JPG
    SB2_3152.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 21
  • SB2_3146.JPG
    SB2_3146.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 23
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back