• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths through the winter months (1 Viewer)

Adam M

Seems a little pointless starting a December moths thread so late into the month, and I can imagine there will be few posts through January and February as well. So I figured we could stick them all onto this thread instead of having 3 threads.

In the garden last night I had just 1 December moth.

At RSPB Coombes Valley they had; 17 December moth, 7 mottled umber and 1 winter moth.

Weather looks to be unseasonably warm again tonight. Might be worth getting the traps out for one last run in 2011.

Adam

The tropical conditions yesterday had many moths on the wing - mainly Winter Moths by the look of it but I did have a Dark Chestnut on my kitchen window.

Found a Ruby Tiger caterpillar just outside my front dor, the 21/12. -13°C, and about 20 cm with fresh snow all over, rough little creatures.

Had a walk in woods and found two Early moths sat on hawthorn trunks so i`ll be taking a blue light to see if i can find the females as you can see there eyes with this colour, got to be careful as the slightest movement they drop to the ground.

Steve

Not quite what the thread usually involves, but figured this is the best place for such a sighting.

My cousins son today found a hairy caterpillar, looks like ruby tiger (best match so far on Google images). They have taken it in (much to my horror) as he wants to watch it pupate then emerge.

Just wondering a few things.
1. Is this early for them to be out?
2. How should they keep it? Indoors? In the shed? What type of container? etc.
3. Is keeping it going to affect its emergence date? Will this have any future consequences?

Adam M

Not quite what the thread usually involves, but figured this is the best place for such a sighting.

My cousins son today found a hairy caterpillar, looks like ruby tiger (best match so far on Google images). They have taken it in (much to my horror) as he wants to watch it pupate then emerge.

Just wondering a few things.
1. Is this early for them to be out?
2. How should they keep it? Indoors? In the shed? What type of container? etc.
3. Is keeping it going to affect its emergence date? Will this have any future consequences?

Adam M
Hi Adam.

If your caterpillar is a Ruby Tiger (its behaviour seems right for this species as they sunbathe on mild winter days) It will be an adult caterpillar and will not need to eat anymore it will pupate in May and hatch to an adult Moth at the end of May-June.

If you wish your moth to fulfill its potential and mate, you will need to keep it outdoors, if it is kept warm indoors, it will hatch prematurely and have no wild moths to mate with.

keep it in a box outdoors in a sheltered place (wooden box best although plastic will do )place some potting compost in the box.

At the beginning of May bring the box in and place it in a larger container (Enthusiasts use special cages made of netting but a plastic fishtank with a bit of netting over the top will do)take the lid off the box and place some twigs in the larger container to provide the moth with something to climb up and dry its wings.

Last edited:
Hi Adam.

If your caterpillar is a Ruby Tiger (its behaviour seems right for this species as they sunbathe on mild winter days) It will be an adult caterpillar and will not need to eat anymore it will pupate in May and hatch to an adult Moth at the end of May-June.

If you wish your moth to fulfill its potential and mate, you will need to keep it outdoors, if it is kept warm indoors, it will hatch prematurely and have no wild moths to mate with.

keep it in a box outdoors in a sheltered place (wooden box best although plastic will do )place some potting compost in the box.

At the beginning of May bring the box in and place it in a larger container (Enthusiasts use special cages made of netting but a plastic fishtank with a bit of netting over the top will do)take the lid off the box and place some twigs in the larger container to provide the moth with something to climb up and dry its wings.

Thanks for the advice. Will pass the info on and hope it is followed.

Adam

Might put my new Skinner Trap (my first trap) out for a trial run tonight, been quite warm through the day so possibly 1 or 2 moths on the wing

Ran the trap until i went to bed last night, by which time it seemed to have only attracted flies & i thought it not worth the waste of electricity to leave it on all night. However, sorting through the trays this morning i was pleased to see a Silver Y & a single Ypsolopha ustella.

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 53
A couple of recent mild nights in the garden have produced

Agonopterix heracliana
Tortricodes alternella
Acleris cristana - two colour forms
Amblyptila acanthadactyla
Pale Brindled Beauty
Brindled Beauty
Spring Usher (NFG!)
Dotted Border
Common Quaker
Chestnut
Brick

Last edited:
Yes, signs of life at last! Yesterday evening I had:
satellite
chestnut
spring usher
small brindled beauty
pale brindled beauty
common quaker
T. alternella

Ken

Attachments

• pale clouded brindle ex IMG_5967 (800).jpg
    pale clouded brindle ex IMG_5967 (800).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 37
  • small clouded brindle exIMG_5970 (800).jpg
    small clouded brindle exIMG_5970 (800).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 35
  • spring usher exIMG_5965 (800).jpg
    spring usher exIMG_5965 (800).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
At the London Wetland Centre, Barnes, over the last few nights:
Satellite
Small Brindled Beauty
Pale Brindled Beauty
Common Quaker
Dotted Border
Clouded Drab
Oak Beauty
March moth
Grey Shoulder-knot
Double-striped Pug
Red-green Carpet
Acleris cristana
Ypsolopha ustella
Tachystola acroxantha
plus a couple of Torts still to id.

Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back