• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackcap in London singing in middle of winter (1 Viewer)

Surprising news of a male Blackcap singing in Acton, London sporadically for 2 weeks now, in urban gardens. First heard on 15th Jan 2012. Recorded 29th Jan and uploaded to xeno-canto.org ref XC93726. Quick searches and checks of literature indicate few other records of males singing in UK in winter. Presumably European male; dialect may be detectable.

Weather has been fairly typical for time of year, between 5-12C.

Jason Anderson

I don't know if it's rare for them to sing in winter, but most years the males that arrive in our garden sing their heads off! Starting sometimes in December, sometimes in the new year, they may be out in the open, or 'humming'(!) quietly from within a conifer. Lovely to hear!

Andrew and Mary,
Thanks for your replies. If it is common, it isn't documented in BWPi, or on Xenocanto from anywhere north of Spain, and only there in February.

Interestingly, we have several very mature ivy 'clumps' in the back gardens here - What's your thought / observation?

Jason

Ivy is about the only common native plant that has ripening fruit and attracts good numbers of insects (when it's warm enough) during the Winter. When I've heard Blackcaps singing (never full, only subsong) in towns during the Winter, I've associated them with mature Ivy being nearby - a good dependable food source.

If it is common, it isn't documented in BWPi, or on Xenocanto from anywhere north of Spain, and only there in February.
I just had a quick flick through recent years, and found a record of one in full song here in the warm southwest on 29th January 2008. But it is unusual, for sure; in some years I don't hear song till March.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back