• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

How on earth have they managed to add just one species in the last 2 weeks? Have they gone on holiday?!

In fairness, until recently the pickings have been thin, but it was predictable that Britain would provide opportunities in September and by the end of the first hour of light today, Long-billed Dowitcher, Least Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper, American Redstart and Sabine's Gull on the news services for today.

All the best

How on earth have they managed to add just one species in the last 2 weeks? Have they gone on holiday?!

Klacke fell from a roof last week and is laid up in bed recovering. Hence the break. They should be back up and running shortly...well Klacke might not be literally running :)

Perfect opportunity for Klacke's mates to burn him off! ;)

Absolutely, they could have gone for at least one species :)

At this late stage of the game, it sure would be more entertaining if it became a free for all ...and might get them twitching more of the relatively easy stuff that they don't seem keen on.

The amount of twitchable yank rarities in the British Isles, both at present and back in the first winter period*, does make it seem that a UK based crew would have had a distinct advantage.

*Edit: and indeed in general

^They already have Leach's SP.
They've missed Swinhoe's.

With their luck, they'll probably get all these rarities at the Azores B :)

Present there at the moment are LB Dowitcher, Redhead, Least Sandpiper and who knows what may be hiding in Corvo.

Last edited:
^They already have Leach's SP.
They've missed Swinhoe's.

With their luck, they'll probably get all these rarities at the Azores B :)

Present there at the moment are LB Dowitcher, Redhead, Least Sandpiper and who knows what may be hiding in Corvo.

Pedro

In addressing that, I think that an analysis of what is regular in the Azores and what should be targeted elsewhere would be worthwhile. I also think that the more regular vagrants that you clear out, the less tricky it is to target what you need next when the opportunities arise.

I'm no longer so sure that they can be classed as lucky after Klacke's fall but here's hoping that it is not a change of fortune.

All the best

It was a 4m fall (sounds nasty) and they are now here having tried for Wilson's Phalarope in France, which was taken by a Peregrine! They are very much looking forward to the Dorset Sandpipers. As am I....

Per Faceache..

It was a 4m fall (sounds nasty) and they are now here having tried for Wilson's Phalarope in France, which was taken by a Peregrine! They are very much looking forward to the Dorset Sandpipers. As am I....

Per Faceache..

Wimborne at 5.35pm according to the Big Brother tagging on Facebook! So hopefully both sandpipers will be seen tonight...........

All the best

In addition to the Least and Stilt Sandpipers, Long-billed Dowitcher and the American Redstart, the relevant non-rarities which they need are:-
Eurasian Dotterel - are there any at the moment?
Lesser Redpoll
Sooty Shearwater
Sabine's Gull

American Golden Plover on the Scillies tonight is hopefully the first of a few - one of which will be more convenient.

The commonest other possibilities are Blue-winged Teal, Wilson's Phalarope & Red-eyed Vireo or from the east Pechora Pipit, Radde's Warbler & Dusky Warbler.

All the best

Last edited:
In addition to the Least and Stilt Sandpipers, Long-billed Dowitcher and the American Redstart, the relevant non-rarities which they need are:-
Eurasian Dotterel - are there any at the moment?
Lesser Redpoll
Sooty Shearwater
Sabine's Gull

No news on American Redstart yet today, but L-B Dowitcher still in Kent. Blue-winged Teal is notable by its absence (both from their list and the UK in general this year).
Forster's Tern still in Co.Louth.... have they recorded this species yet?

Redhead still on Azores yesterday - will it stay a few more weeks (quite likely, I guess).

Forster's Tern still in Co.Louth.... have they recorded this species yet?

They need Forster's Tern. Not sure how they were intending on targeting the Redstart nor if they have local contact details.

Also Sabine's Gulls on for today.

All the best

Last edited:
American Redstart still there.

Yorkshire Long-billed Dowitcher is negative as far as I have seen. Hopefully, they are getting some sound advice on quickest routes and priorities. I'm not too sure on their budget which may be relevant as to some choices.

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back