Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 11th September 2005, 15:17   #1
Steve25

A95 - Adapter or Handheld

I have recently purchased a friends Opticron ES80 GA ED45 with 20-60 zoom eyepiece. I want to try digiscoping with my Canon A95. I intended to connect the camera with a Lensmate 37mm thread to an LCE Winchester adapter.

However I have seen some marvellous pictures in the gallery which say 'handheld', which presumably means no adapter has been used.

My question is do I need to buy an adapter or is handheld an option for a complete novice.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old Sunday 11th September 2005, 15:47   #2
alan_rymer

Steve

Handheld can produce good pictures, but most are totally useless ( you need something to centre your lens in the eyepiece without letting the camera lens touch glass ). And adaptor and remote shutter release will produce far more good photo's. The only drawback is the time wasted in setting it up.

Saying that, most of my photo's I take "just for the record", so most are handheld. If its something special, I use the adaptor!.

I use the ES80 GA ED with the HDF Zoom and the A95 with lensmate and LCE adaptor. Nice kit!.

Its not an optical illusion!. It just looks like one!.
Latest Life bird: Wryneck

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th September 2005, 11:48   #3
rka
ttbirds

Handheld can work out pretty well if you at least have a bottle-cap guide to centre the camera lens on the eyepiece. If the diameter of your camera lens barrel exceeds th daimeter of the eyepiece glass, then with a little care, there is minimal risk of the camera barrel/lens touching the eyepiece glass (unless for some reason the lens is seriously convex).

Most of my digiscoped pics are done handheld even though I have an adapter. It all depends on whether or not you expect the subject to move quickly or not. Also, once there is sufficient light, you can get reasonably sharp pictures handheld.

rka
Old Monday 12th September 2005, 12:15   #4
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018

I don't use the scope or camera that you have, so cannot comment on the specifics, but...

I'd recommend trying digiscoping handheld before spending out money on an adaptor and cable release. Going handheld will give you an idea of what sort of results you can get, and also if digiscoping is for you (not everyone likes it). I started out digiscoping handheld and really enjoyed it, I found I got reasonable results and so carried on without an adaptor for a couple of years. I have only just got an adaptor (went for a srb digiscoping sleeve) as I've changed my camera - I find it very easy (and fast) to put on and off the scope and it's a pleasure to use.

Try it handheld first, if you enjoy it get the adaptor, it does make it easier.

two shots taken handheld:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...cat/500/page/9
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...cat/500/page/9
and one with the adaptor:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...cat/500/page/1

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th September 2005, 17:10   #5
IanF

Hi Steve,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators welcome to Bird Forum

In any sort of digiscoping due to the long telephoto effect, vibration is a big problem. Even after setting the scope focus and using an adaptor and cable release I find I have to wait several seconds for the vibrations to settle.

Having said that I too would advise to give hand holding a go first. Some people can manage it and it costs nothing. I'd advise picking a brightly lit subject on a sunny day with the sun behind you, c.20m at no more than 20x eyepiece zoom and 2-3x camera zoom at it's widest (f3-4 ish) aperture so you get the fastest shutter speed. You can worry about more zoom and changing settings at sometime in the future.

Next step would be to get an adaptor which as mentioned already at least centres the camera on the eyepiece. If you've shaky hands like me then it means using an adapter plus remote cable release!

Whichever way you choose, don't be put off if the first few photos aren't perfect. Even after taking many thousands of photos and using adapters and cable releases I still end up with far more deletions than keepers!

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th September 2005, 22:34   #6
Steve25

Many thanks for all of your advice, I will give handheld a go to start with. If I can get anywhere near some of the handheld pictures I have seen in the galleries I will be a happy man.
Old Sunday 6th November 2005, 12:31   #7
Marc Delsalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve25
I have recently purchased a friends Opticron ES80 GA ED45 with 20-60 zoom eyepiece. I want to try digiscoping with my Canon A95. I intended to connect the camera with a Lensmate 37mm thread to an LCE Winchester adapter.

However I have seen some marvellous pictures in the gallery which say 'handheld', which presumably means no adapter has been used.

My question is do I need to buy an adapter or is handheld an option for a complete novice.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Steve
Hi,

Try to practice handheld.
I alse have a Canon A95 and I take all my shots handheld (I use a Swarovski AT80 HD + 30 SW). It works fine and my pictures are sharp.
I 've joined two files : first picture of a Reed warbler taken at 1/50 sec (Iso 50) and the second file is a crop of the same picture to show how sharp is the picture.
Hope that helps you. Sorry for my english

Best regards,

marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reed Warbler_Harelbeke_18_05_05_Img_2781.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	33503  Click image for larger version

Name:	Reed_Warbler_Harelbeke_18_05_05_crop_Img_2781.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	33504  
Old Sunday 6th November 2005, 22:28   #8
Tannin
Common; sedentary.

I wouldn't bother messing about with handheld. Get an adaptor and do it properly or don't waste your time.

(Doesn't square with some opinions above, but there you go.)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: