• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windows XP Search - "View Details" - No Details! (1 Viewer)

bitterntwisted

Graham Howard Shortt
Hi,

I have a minor, but very irritating problem when searching my PC. Windows no longer shows any details of the file when I select view details and I have to manually select fields to view after each search. After I have changed those fields the next search reverts to file name only. This started suddenly around six weeks ago. Microsoft's own help doesn't seem to know or have a fix for this nuisance. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me pointers.

Many Thanks,
Graham

Is it the way you search? I search and select all files and folders. If I select pictures I just get the thumbnail.

TBMike said:
Is it the way you search? I search and select all files and folders. If I select pictures I just get the thumbnail.

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. Yes, I am selecting search all files and folders, and normally searching for documents, but it also occurs when searching for media. It also occurs whether I use the standard or advanced search modes (selected under "change files and folders search behaviour")

I am reasonably computer literate, and have spent longer than is healthy changing every preference I can find to no avail. This is, to me, a rum one.

Thanks again,
Graham

bitterntwisted said:
Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. Yes, I am selecting search all files and folders, and normally searching for documents, but it also occurs when searching for media. It also occurs whether I use the standard or advanced search modes (selected under "change files and folders search behaviour")

I am reasonably computer literate, and have spent longer than is healthy changing every preference I can find to no avail. This is, to me, a rum one.

Thanks again,
Graham

Do you get it when you search from explorer and get the dog thing? If so, there is a bug in Windows XP that needs a registry fix.
Let me know if this is the problem and I will dig it out...
Paul

Thanks, guys, sounds like a possible solution.

To confirm, the screen looks like this:

Attachments

• search problem illustrated.jpg
    search problem illustrated.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 116
I'm happy for you to teach a man to fish, Pete. If you can tell me where to find details of this (and other bugs) I'll happily have a stab myself. Thing is, I'm on SP2 with auto updates enabled so shouldn't I be getting these patches automatically?

Thanks again,
Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back