Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 08:41   #1
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Mr. Sganzin's Comoro Blue-Pigeon ... in French

I have to reurn to Monsieur Victor Sganzin (who suposedly died in 1841) ...
Quote:
... est décéde à Lorient, le 23 Février 1841, à lʼâge de quarante-deux ans. C'était un observateur zélé et les observations, que nous possédons de lui sur plusiers animaux malgasches, sont fort intréssantes. (from here)
Which I suspect is the same guy as the one commemorated in the scientific name ...

sganzini as in:
• Comoro Blue-Pigeon Alectroenas sganzini BONAPARTE 1854 (here) as "Fun. [Funingus] sganzini, O. des Murs, d'apres Verreaux. ..." ... no dedication nor any explanation.

Apparently this name was coined earlier by Œillet des Murs and/or (Jules?) Verreaux, but where and when is unknown (to me). Bonaparte himself seems totally unaware of late Monsieur Sqanzin, maybe he didn´t know him at all?

Other sources claim Monsieur Sganzin to have been "… né à Strasbourg en 1799". But if he truly did is also unknown to me. However, this far, no dates found on his birth.

Today's HBW Alive Key has him as:
Quote:
sganzini
Capt. Victor Sganzin (fl. 1840) French Army, Governor of Ile Sainte-Marie, Madagascar 1831-1832, naturalist, collector (Alectroenas).
Anyone now know anything additional!?

Björn

PS. He's also mentioned earlier in this Forum, back in 2014, in thread ... and 22 plausible etymologies! (here), even if that certain Post (that I have to admit) wasn´t, the easiest one, neither to read nor to follow in thought! .
--

Last edited by Calalp : Thursday 7th December 2017 at 08:49. Reason: typo
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 10:14   #2
l_raty
laurent raty

Death certificate: [here]; click on Liste des communes, go to letter 'L', scroll down and select Lorient (paroisse et commune) (420); select Décès; Année exacte: 1841; click Rechercher; open the file Lorient, Commune de Lorient - décès - 1841-1841; go to image 28/129: he's the third one on the left side (#222).

Charles Victor Joseph Sganzin
b. 2 Jun 1798, Strasbourg (Bas-Rhin), d. 23 Feb. 1841, Lorient (Morbihan).
Capitaine en premier au Régiment d'artillerille de marine.
Knight of the Legion of Honour (but I don't find him on Léonore).
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 13:10   #3
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
Apparently this name was coined earlier by Œillet des Murs and/or (Jules?) Verreaux, but where and when is unknown (to me). Bonaparte himself seems totally unaware of late Monsieur Sqanzin, maybe he didn´t know him at all?
It seems it was first used in print by Chenu & Oeillet des Murs, earlier on the same year, [here].
They attributed the name to J & E Verreaux (perhaps they got it from some unpublished source, such as a specimen label), and did not describe the bird (i.e. the name is a nomen nudum).
Old Thursday 7th December 2017, 20:30   #4
mb1848

"They attributed the name to J & E Verreaux (perhaps they got it from some unpublished source, such as a specimen label)"
Here in 1887 it says, Columba Sganzini J. Verreaux ms.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...e/289/mode/1up .
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...ge/58/mode/1up .
http://www.euppublishing.com/doi/abs.../anh.2017.0421 .
It might come from this Sganzin article from 1840 from Strasbourg natural history publication:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...e/154/mode/1up .

Last edited by mb1848 : Thursday 7th December 2017 at 23:17.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: