Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.80 average.
Old Monday 26th March 2012, 14:41   #226
Mickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post
June, do you know of an abberant plumaged red kite locally. I was at Lockhaugh last Thursday and saw a kite without white wing patches, only realising today that if not an odd red kite it was most likely a black kite. It was soaring with two other kites and was noticeably smaller too, I dismissed black kite at the time because the tail was notched which I thought was wrong for black kite so neglected to check it out, and only today I've discovered this is not the case. I don't believe this one was tagged either.
I've also been told there's possibly an escape in the area from Beamish birds of prey centre, this one didn't have jesses on but who knows, a bit of a mystery, wish I'd followed my instincts at the time.

Would be grateful for any info you might have.

Cheers

Alan M
Beamish have lost a Black Kite around Christmas time and thought that the Red Kites had killed it which is unlikely, seeing a Black Kite is very possible.

I actually watched the Red Kites and Black Kites interacting at Beamish last summer and you could see the Jesses. Jesses will not last for ever so it’s possible that they’ve come off by now.
Old Monday 26th March 2012, 16:52   #227
June Atkinson

Red face

Thanks for coming in on this, Mick. I hope things will become clearer :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickr View Post
Beamish have lost a Black Kite around Christmas time and thought that the Red Kites had killed it which is unlikely, seeing a Black Kite is very possible.

I actually watched the Red Kites and Black Kites interacting at Beamish last summer and you could see the Jesses. Jesses will not last for ever so it’s possible that they’ve come off by now.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 26th March 2012, 19:46   #228
Mouldy
skywatcher, dragonhunter

Quote:

Thanks for that Mick, very interesting. Doubt I'll ever truly get to the bottom of it but this being the case I'm happy to put it down as a possible black kite, probable escape. (but rest assured I'll be checking every kite I see for a while)

Thanks too for your input June, very much appreciated as always.

Alan M
Old Monday 9th April 2012, 09:54   #229
June Atkinson

Red face Red Kite Trail leaflet on-line

We have reprinted, in conjunction with Gateshead Council, another run of our very useful and popular Red Kite Trail leaflet.

It is now on-line here: http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page16.htm

It is also widely available for you to pick up at the usual reserves and centres.

A more detailed and extended Guide is being prepared and will be available as a pdf file on our website.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th April 2012, 15:16   #230
Mickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by June Atkinson View Post
We have reprinted, in conjunction with Gateshead Council, another run of our very useful and popular Red Kite Trail leaflet.

It is now on-line here: http:// http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page16.htm

It is also widely available for you to pick up at the usual reserves and centres.

A more detailed and extended Guide is being prepared and will be available as a pdf file on our website.
The link doesn't work in the original post, I've edited it in my reply and that does now work.
Old Wednesday 11th April 2012, 16:03   #231
June Atkinson

Red face

Quote:
The link doesn't work in the original post, I've edited it in my reply and that does now work.
Thanks for doing that Mick. Not sure why it wasn't working...............

Have you seen the kites at the Black Horse recently? We were to have been there for the Easter Saturday, but hadn't enough free Volunteers. We shall go another time. Wonderful to have a kite floating above the garden whilst you're eating your whale and chips!!

June

Old Monday 16th April 2012, 23:03   #232
June Atkinson

Red face Avisitor to Hamsterley Forest

It's fairly certain that a red kite being seen regularly in Hamsterley Forest is a Dumfries & Galloway kite.

Good for the gene pool if it breeds with one of ours this year!

We are asked to be discreet when mentioning the presence of the kites in Hamsterley Forest - not to give specific locations please.

Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 11:03   #233
June Atkinson

Red face Health Walks May - August 2012

We are running the next session of Health Walks.
Do come and join us for one or perhaps regular walks with a very friendly group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWalks_May-August 12.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	383271  

Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 11:06   #234
Peewit
Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover

Quote:
We are running the next session of Health Walks.
Do come and join us for one or perhaps regular walks with a very friendly group.
Hi June

I wish I was closer to where you live, and I would have been only too happy to join in your health walk anyday.

Great idea by the way

Regards
Kathy
x

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 11:10   #235
June Atkinson

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewit View Post
Hi June

I wish I was closer to where you live, and I would have been only too happy to join in your health walk anyday.

Great idea by the way

Regards
Kathy
x
How nice to hear from you, Kathy.

Maybe one of these days, you might be able to come for a few days on holiday - our kites are always around :-)

Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 11:19   #236
Peewit

Smile

Quote:
How nice to hear from you, Kathy.

Maybe one of these days, you might be able to come for a few days on holiday - our kites are always around :-)
Hi June

Ditto with our chats here

Just to say that my OH was only talking the other day about a trip to Northumberland (we saw an article on Countryfile/Country Tracks on TV) and it has tempted us to be more adventurous and that includes the local food that we love to try.

Once we are back from our holidays in Menorca 2012, we have loads of plans to go out bird watching, and catch up with peoples news. There are a few RSPB Reserves we have in mind too. and to met up with the volunteers for a few chats.

Just want to say hello most of all, and have a walk about all of our planned areas.

Any suggestions from yourself will be useful for us too...to see your local Kites anyday

Still remember the Kite sightings from Stirlingshire, Scotland all those years ago (2003), and more recent Otmoor RSPB Reserve, Oxford where Kites flew low to get a couple of good photos.

Regards
Kathy
x

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 12:22   #237
June Atkinson

Red face

Quote:
Hi June

Ditto with our chats here

Just to say that my OH was only talking the other day about a trip to Northumberland (we saw an article on Countryfile/Country Tracks on TV) and it has tempted us to be more adventurous and that includes the local food that we love to try.

Once we are back from our holidays in Menorca 2012, we have loads of plans to go out bird watching, and catch up with peoples news. There are a few RSPB Reserves we have in mind too. and to met up with the volunteers for a few chats.

Just want to say hello most of all, and have a walk about all of our planned areas.

Any suggestions from yourself will be useful for us too...to see your local Kites anyday

Still remember the Kite sightings from Stirlingshire, Scotland all those years ago (2003), and more recent Otmoor RSPB Reserve, Oxford where Kites flew low to get a couple of good photos.

Regards
Kathy
x
Your plans sound exciting, Kathy! We have spent three holidays on Mallorca - great for the Eleanora Falcons at Formentor, beyond Puerto Pollença, and the Black vultures at the Cuba Dam. We haven't been to Menorca.

If you were to come north, we would arrange a Safari for you - great chances of seeing the kites and if you are keen on photography, plenty of
opportunities.

Enjoy your stay in the Balearics!!

Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 14:33   #238
Peewit

Smile

Quote:
Your plans sound exciting, Kathy! We have spent three holidays on Mallorca - great for the Eleanora Falcons at Formentor, beyond Puerto Pollença, and the Black vultures at the Cuba Dam. We haven't been to Menorca.

If you were to come north, we would arrange a Safari for you - great chances of seeing the kites and if you are keen on photography, plenty of
opportunities.

Enjoy your stay in the Balearics!!
Thank you June for your good wishes.

Menorca is a fabulous place, and it is so peaceful away from the mainstream holiday makers.

Hopefully the weather is up to scratch. May-time is a great time for it being warm but not to hot...and not to busy either.

We have seen Red Kites in the area, close to where we sail, and they are easily seen. One year we glimpsed Black Kites with a 'Menorcan' birder along beside us. They are just as spectacular to watch.

Yes, a trip up north in the UK is well overdue, and we will arrange something no-doubt.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited by Peewit : Tuesday 8th May 2012 at 14:37.

Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 16:46   #239
June Atkinson

Red face

Quote:
Thank you June for your good wishes.

Menorca is a fabulous place, and it is so peaceful away from the mainstream holiday makers.

Hopefully the weather is up to scratch. May-time is a great time for it being warm but not to hot...and not to busy either.

We have seen Red Kites in the area, close to where we sail, and they are easily seen. One year we glimpsed Black Kites with a 'Menorcan' birder along beside us. They are just as spectacular to watch.

Yes, a trip up north in the UK is well overdue, and we will arrange something no-doubt.

Regards
Kathy
x
In France, in the Dordogne and the Auvergne we have seen both Red and Black Kites. They are both interesting to watch. Certainly the French ones love swooping down onto the farm manure heaps!! Looking for worms no doubt! :-) I envy you your sailing.......................

Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 18:47   #240
Mickr

The Kites were very active around Beamish today, it's almost as good as going to the Derwent for sightings.
Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 19:16   #241
June Atkinson

Red face

Quote:
The Kites were very active around Beamish today, it's almost as good as going to the Derwent for sightings.
They were active when we went to have lunch at the Black Horse. One was just floating over the garden with a long stick in its talons.
Any evidence of nesting?

Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 20:11   #242
Mickr

Quote:
They were active when we went to have lunch at the Black Horse. One was just floating over the garden with a long stick in its talons.
Any evidence of nesting?
One of the Kites was interested in a tree, I think it was after a free lunch as the tree looks as if it gives good views of the Black Horse. The Kite was being chased by a couple of Crows so maybe they had a nest in the tree and the Kite may have been after the contents.

This went on for over an hour, on and off.

A Whitethroat was singing in the bushes next to where I was parked so I turned the radio off and listened to the song while watching Kites, it was perfection.
Old Wednesday 6th June 2012, 20:32   #243
June Atkinson

Red face A Grizedale (Cumbria) Red Kite has joined our red kites!

One of our members, Mick Render, sent me several photographs of three red kites he has seen up on the Pennines near the Derwent Reservoir.

I noticed on one of them the tag looked different, certainly not one of ours, but whose?
Our Home tags are pink, whereas this one sported an orange tag. I know that Yorkshire kites have orange tags, but this one looked too "new" to be one of their birds. Could it be a Cumbrian kite - they use orange as their Home colour.

I sent an email to Doug Simpson of the Yorkshire Kites and he replied saying it was undoubtedly a 2011 Grizedale kite.

We hope it will stay and possibly pair up with one of our kites next year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WT3flying_MR_DS.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	389040  

Old Wednesday 6th June 2012, 20:39   #244
Peewit

Quote:
In France, in the Dordogne and the Auvergne we have seen both Red and Black Kites. They are both interesting to watch. Certainly the French ones love swooping down onto the farm manure heaps!! Looking for worms no doubt! :-) I envy you your sailing.......................
Thank you June

Great news to hear that you have seen both Red and Black Kites in the same area of France. It shows that Kites will go to any lengths to find food stuff, and worms might be a little snack for them but still it is protein and that is waht they want.

Yes, we did see Red Kites but sadly no Black kites in our case in Menorca. We saw a few flying together and thought it may be a family of adults and juvs together.

The sailing was fabulous as always - and the good thing is that it givesd you another dimension into seeing 'waders' and 'birds' out at sea (the bay in my case) and we are thrilled to see Shags up close and personal each and every time.

Regards
Kathy
x

Old Wednesday 6th June 2012, 20:55   #245
June Atkinson

Red face

Quote:
Thank you June

Great news to hear that you have seen both Red and Black Kites in the same area of France. It shows that Kites will go to any lengths to find food stuff, and worms might be a little snack for them but still it is protein and that is waht they want.

Yes, we did see Red Kites but sadly no Black kites in our case in Menorca. We saw a few flying together and thought it may be a family of adults and juvs together.

The sailing was fabulous as always - and the good thing is that it givesd you another dimension into seeing 'waders' and 'birds' out at sea (the bay in my case) and we are thrilled to see Shags up close and personal each and every time.

Regards
Kathy
x
Glad you had a lovely holiday, Kathy. I envy you the sailing.....years ago, I taught sailing - we used Enterprise 16-footers, which were quite lively.
I still have vivid memories of crewing in the National Championships off Anglesey.
Do read the preceding entry - all about our Cumbrian kite coming to join ours!! Very exciting!

Old Wednesday 6th June 2012, 21:14   #246
Peewit

Smile

Quote:
Glad you had a lovely holiday, Kathy. I envy you the sailing.....years ago, I taught sailing - we used Enterprise 16-footers, which were quite lively.
I still have vivid memories of crewing in the National Championships off Anglesey.
Do read the preceding entry - all about our Cumbrian kite coming to join ours!! Very exciting!
Great to hear from a like-minded sailer, and that you like regattas

I have not heard of a enterprise 16-footers at all. i have only sailed in the past 5 years or so - so it might have been before my time.

At this moment of time, we sail in the Laser 2000, and hope to upgrade to a RS 200 next year. We tried the RS 400 and did not like it.
So it is getting a boat which is not as solid/robust as a Laser 2000, and has a bit more speed in it - so we will see what next year brings - a RS200 is in our sights now.

I will catch up on this thread about Kites as much as i can (just love them). The last best experience was seeing Red Kites at Otmoor Reserve, Oxford as they flew low enough for a couple of good photos or two.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited by Peewit : Wednesday 6th June 2012 at 21:28.

Old Monday 11th June 2012, 20:09   #247
June Atkinson

Red face Red Kite watching in Gateshead's Derwent Valley

The attached poster gives all the information about our two kite watching events.
If the weather is bad, please consult this thread here on Birdforum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FoRK Kite watching poster.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	389778  

Old Tuesday 12th June 2012, 10:26   #248
June Atkinson

Red face Red Kite watching in Gateshead's Derwent Valley

Attached is a map showing the access and designated route from Winlaton Mill to Kite Hill, overlooking the Nine Arches Viaduct.

The Red Kite buses run frequently between Newcastle City Centre and Consett.

Do come along and find out more about our beautiful Red Kites.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kitewatch 2012 final.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	389860  

Old Tuesday 12th June 2012, 12:12   #249
Mickr

Quote:
Attached is a map showing the access and designated route from Winlaton Mill to Kite Hill, overlooking the Nine Arches Viaduct.

The Red Kite buses run frequently between Newcastle City Centre and Consett.

Do come along and find out more about our beautiful Red Kites.
It should be a good couple of days with so many Kites in that area.
Old Saturday 16th June 2012, 09:30   #250
June Atkinson

Red face First red kite chick of 2012

Mick kindly sent in this lovely image of the first red kite chick to be ringed and tagged this year - F2 in Causey Gill, near Beamish in Co. Durham.

For all the news about this year's breeding go to:
http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page10.htm

Image courtesy of Mick Render
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F2_12_MickR_27.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	390427  

Last edited by June Atkinson : Saturday 16th June 2012 at 09:34.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: