Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.80 average.
Old Sunday 4th October 2009, 19:22   #26
Mickr

I managed to take a few before the light was too bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WT6 reduced.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	222035  Click image for larger version

Name:	WT6.1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	222036  Click image for larger version

Name:	WT6.2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	222039  Click image for larger version

Name:	WT6.4.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	222052  
Old Sunday 4th October 2009, 19:32   #27
June Atkinson

Red face Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickr View Post
I managed to take a few before the light was too bad.
Well done, Mick! No. 6 is a 2004 first year release, adopted by Highfield Community Primary School, Gateshead, and is called Flame.
Read all the latest news of Flame here: http://www.northernkites.org.uk/updates2004.htm

The others are good, too. Interesting how the last one is very similar in silhouette to the one which I took, and added in a previous post.

May I send in your image to Gateshead Council, with today's date, so that the report can be up-dated to include your sighting on the Northern Kites website, now being done by G.C.? Of course, your name will be added. Can't promise it will be used, but we'll use it on our website, when we have got it more clearly established. I may even be able to include one in our next Friends ' Newsletter, if you allow me?

It would be a huge help if you could send me these four at a higher resolution - to my virgin.net address. TIA.

Last edited by June Atkinson : Sunday 4th October 2009 at 19:37.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 4th October 2009, 21:00   #28
Mickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by June Atkinson View Post
Well done, Mick! No. 6 is a 2004 first year release, adopted by Highfield Community Primary School, Gateshead, and is called Flame.
Read all the latest news of Flame here: http://www.northernkites.org.uk/updates2004.htm

The others are good, too. Interesting how the last one is very similar in silhouette to the one which I took, and added in a previous post.

May I send in your image to Gateshead Council, with today's date, so that the report can be up-dated to include your sighting on the Northern Kites website, now being done by G.C.? Of course, your name will be added. Can't promise it will be used, but we'll use it on our website, when we have got it more clearly established. I may even be able to include one in our next Friends ' Newsletter, if you allow me?

It would be a huge help if you could send me these four at a higher resolution - to my virgin.net address. TIA.
I think I also managed to get a photograph of WT76 although I couldn't get a clear single WT. I could see a 7 on one wing and what looked like a 6 on the other.

I'll upload them somewhere and let you have a link.

Last edited by Mickr : Sunday 4th October 2009 at 22:29.
Old Friday 16th October 2009, 18:43   #29
Mickr

WTA2 was at Sherburn Towers tonight, it was late so the light was poor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	224051  
Old Saturday 17th October 2009, 11:51   #30
June Atkinson

Red face Wing Tag A2 at Sherburn Towers

Thanks very much for catching this lovely shot of A2, albeit, as you say, in the fading light.
Ken has just sent me an up-date for our local Kites, to which I can add this sighting for the next Newsletter.

June

Quote:
WTA2 was at Sherburn Towers tonight, it was late so the light was poor.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd October 2009, 22:45   #31
June Atkinson

Red face Red Kite Safari

Come and join our ‘Red Kite Safari’ from the Black Horse Pub at Barlow on Saturday, 7th November, at 10.30 a.m. It’s a chance to meet new friends, explore the lower Derwent Valley and enjoy wildlife in the company of enthusiastic members of FoRK.

The kites are becoming more active, and if you're a photographer, you could have a good chance to get some lovely images.

Old Sunday 25th October 2009, 19:28   #32
Mickr

Quote:
Come and join our ĎRed Kite Safarií from the Black Horse Pub at Barlow on Saturday, 7th November, at 10.30 a.m. Itís a chance to meet new friends, explore the lower Derwent Valley and enjoy wildlife in the company of enthusiastic members of FoRK.

The kites are becoming more active, and if you're a photographer, you could have a good chance to get some lovely images.
June,

Do you have the use of the pub car park for this or is it on foot only?
Old Sunday 25th October 2009, 20:36   #33
Ptarmi
Ptarmigan

Angry

It looks like Red Kites need all the friends they can get, up there in the North of England!

Rare bird of prey found poisoned

This unfortunate bird had actually survived being shot, only to later be poisoned.

Perhaps Yorkshire folk don't want rare birds ... or Tourists!

Dick

"Take nothing but pictures, Kill nothing but time, Leave nothing but footprints." Alfred Wainwright
Old Sunday 25th October 2009, 22:18   #34
June Atkinson

Red face Kite Safari

Quote:
June,

Do you have the use of the pub car park for this or is it on foot only?
I'll double check this, Mick, but normally we are welcome to park our cars there- Steve the Landlord only opens the pub at week-ends, so you should be fine.
We're off to Yorkshire tomorrow until Wednesday, so look for an answer on Thursday.

Not sure I can make this one, as we are due to go to our Health Centre for flu jabs - that very morning, unless I can change to another date.

Sad to hear of the Yorkshire kite being poisoned..... hope we might see something of their birds this week. Camera at the ready!

June

Old Sunday 25th October 2009, 22:27   #35
Peewit
Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover

Smile

hi June

I thought I would say hello to you as it has been a while now. Hope all is well with yourself

I have just noticed your thread here. I really enjoyed reading all the events as they have unfolded here.

The pictures are fabulous too.

I was at Inverness last weekend, and a Red Kite was noted flying close to the Kessock bridge. It noted by other birders at the time.
Wish we saw it too - but there will be other times I am sure of that.

Anyway I will read this thread with interest.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited by Peewit : Monday 26th October 2009 at 12:46.

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 26th October 2009, 09:03   #36
June Atkinson

Red face Good to hear from you, Kathy

This is a nice surprise! It's kind of you to contribute to our new thread for the Friends of Red Kites here in the North East.
Glad you have the chance of seeing kites in your area.
Keep in touch, and hope all is well with you.
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewit View Post
hi June

I thought I would say hello to you as it has been a while now. Hope all is well with yourself

I have just noticed your thread here. I really enjoyed readijg all the events as they have unfolded here.

The pictures are fabulous too.

I was at Inverness last weekend, and a Red Kite was noted flying close to the Kessock bridge. It noted by other birders at the time.
Wish we saw it too - but there will be other times I am sure of that.

Anyway I will read this thread with interest.

Regards
Kathy
x

Old Monday 26th October 2009, 12:45   #37
Peewit

Smile

Quote:
This is a nice surprise! It's kind of you to contribute to our new thread for the Friends of Red Kites here in the North East.
Glad you have the chance of seeing kites in your area.
Keep in touch, and hope all is well with you.
June
Hi June

Thank for your 'kind' reply.

Love your threads, and it is a good ideas to keep all Red Kite people well informed here.

We have seen no Kites in the Bedford area yet (unless you know different) but we wil carry on wishing.

Love to know your thoughts about Red Kites in my area?

Regards
Kathy
x

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 26th October 2009, 18:30   #38
Helen O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewit View Post
Hi June

We have seen no Kites in the Bedford area yet (unless you know different) but we wil carry on wishing.
Peewit, just to let you know, I receive emails of kite sightings all over the UK, and Beds is one where several sightings have been reported to me.
Old Monday 26th October 2009, 18:39   #39
Peewit

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen O View Post
Peewit, just to let you know, I receive emails of kite sightings all over the UK, and Beds is one where several sightings have been reported to me.
hi Helen

Thank you for letting me know.

I would love to know where the birds where seen. If a PM is more appropriate I will be happy to find out that way too.

We are in the Bedford Group for your information.

Regards
Kathy
x

Old Thursday 29th October 2009, 17:20   #40
June Atkinson

Red face Trip to see our Yorkshire cousins

Leonard and I had a couple of days in Harrogate. Doug Simpson of the Yorkshire Kite re-introduction scheme, based at Harewood House, kindly gave us instructions as to where we might best see any kites.
Since two of our Northern Kites, Speedy WT1 and Scarlet WT2 decided to abscond and find partners in Doug's Domaine, we were keen to see if we could find them amongst the other kites. Clever kites... with their respective partners, they have raised at least six chicks!

Yesterday, Tuesday, 28th October was a bright sunny day, so off we went - an attached map shows where we went, and I have marked where we saw the Red Kites. The entrance to the Harewood Estate from the junction to Wike leads you onto a bridle pathway, looking towards Harewood House. Three kites were floating on the thermals just above the near fields looking towards the House.
My best sighting was the northern one near the roundabout. I attach a pic, but, although the kite flew low at first, it then soared high into the sky, and I couldn't do any better than this. At least the silhouette is very kitey!

It was good to see that, despite the recent poisoning in Otley, these kites looked active and well. We saw no tags, so Speedy and Scarlet, if you were there, it was good to meet you again!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Harewood kites x.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	225992  Click image for larger version

Name:	Harewood-kite.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	225993  Click image for larger version

Name:	Harewood-House-4b.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	225994  

Last edited by June Atkinson : Thursday 29th October 2009 at 17:26.

Old Thursday 29th October 2009, 23:59   #41
Peewit

Quote:
Leonard and I had a couple of days in Harrogate. Doug Simpson of the Yorkshire Kite re-introduction scheme, based at Harewood House, kindly gave us instructions as to where we might best see any kites.
Since two of our Northern Kites, Speedy WT1 and Scarlet WT2 decided to abscond and find partners in Doug's Domaine, we were keen to see if we could find them amongst the other kites. Clever kites... with their respective partners, they have raised at least six chicks!

Yesterday, Tuesday, 28th October was a bright sunny day, so off we went - an attached map shows where we went, and I have marked where we saw the Red Kites. The entrance to the Harewood Estate from the junction to Wike leads you onto a bridle pathway, looking towards Harewood House. Three kites were floating on the thermals just above the near fields looking towards the House.
My best sighting was the northern one near the roundabout. I attach a pic, but, although the kite flew low at first, it then soared high into the sky, and I couldn't do any better than this. At least the silhouette is very kitey!

It was good to see that, despite the recent poisoning in Otley, these kites looked active and well. We saw no tags, so Speedy and Scarlet, if you were there, it was good to meet you again!

Hi June

Great report once more. A pity about the silouette of the Red Kite in the sky - and not ID

I hate to hear about the Kite poisonings and I hope that they become less frequent, and fade out at the end of the day.

Six chicks 'is' good going and well done to the parents for all their hard work.

Regards
Kathy
x

Old Wednesday 4th November 2009, 22:53   #42
June Atkinson

Red face Yorkshire Kites - Important correction

Doug Simpson of the Yorkshire Kites Project has kindly contacted me to give us the correct details of the two kites, WT1 Speedy(Yorkshire WT11) and WT 2 Scarlet (Yorkshire WT7) , our two Northern Kites which absconded to Harewood!

I knew they had certainly had six chicks, but that was their total for 2008. I am amazed and thrilled to hear from Doug that we should give them and their respective partners credit for at least 18 chicks since they began breeding!!!

Our thanks to Doug. Mixing and matching our kites must be good for the Gene Pool!

Last edited by June Atkinson : Wednesday 4th November 2009 at 23:11.

Old Wednesday 4th November 2009, 23:12   #43
Peewit

Quote:
Doug Simpson of the Yorkshire Kites Project has kindly contacted me to give us the correct details of the two kites, WT1 Speedy(Yorkshire WT11) and WT 2 Scarlet (Yorkshire WT7) , our two Northern Kites which absconded to Harewood!

I knew they had certainly had six chicks, but I am amazed and thrilled to hear from Doug that we should give them and their respective partners credit for at least 18 chicks!!!

Our thanks to Doug. Mixing and matching our kites must be good for the Gene Pool!
Hi June

Love to hear good news as you have here. It brings a big smile to our faces to hear of Red Kites doing well - and 18 chicks too now that is a good number.

A reshuffle in the gene pool is a good thing all round

Regards
Kathy
x

Old Saturday 7th November 2009, 16:42   #44
June Atkinson

Red face FoRK Red Kite Safari 6th November 09

A beautiful sunny morning, blue skies and yes, lots of kites to be seen, all over the area chosen for the Kite Safari, led by Ken Sanderson, and arranged by Sylvia Jones.
Leonard and I joined the Group at Thornley Woods/Hollinhill Lane. Attached is a group photograph.
I finally met Mick and his wife, who are two new members - you are very welcome! A group of Durham University Students also joined us, making about thirty in all.
My shots of kites are not up to scratch - too high in the sky, and the one shot I'd loved to have got, of a kite swooping over the hedge, within ten feet, wasn't possible, as I was driving at the time!!
But I know that Mick will join us with his impressions of the Safari and some of his superb images!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FoRK-Safari-_6-Nov-09-3.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	227234  

Old Saturday 7th November 2009, 17:07   #45
Mickr

I've got to say that the planning for today was superb, I'd love to know how the weather and kite appearances were booked. I've had a quick look through the photographs and some look very good. So far I've noticed that we've seen WTC3, WTA2, WT79 and WT15 and I'm still checking. We've also got an untagged Kite with feathers out of place on it's left wing and another Kite with feathers out of place on its right wing but I don't know if its tagged or not.

June, I think you'll like some of the photographs. I'll upload some later on as I've got to go out for an hour or two then I'll post more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untagged.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	227239  
Old Saturday 7th November 2009, 21:52   #46
Mickr

I've uploaded a few of my photographs which were taken today. Just a thought about a question which came up. A few people asked if the Red Kites had brought Buzzards in, I thought that they might but couldn't think of a reason why. Maybe it's because the Red Kites have been given good publicity and people are no longer persecuting raptors. The Buzzards were a massive bonus and seemed to get on really well with the Kites, it was as if they enjoyed each others company.

Anyway back to the day, the walk lasted more than 2 hours and from getting out of the car to leaving it was a constant stream of Red Kites. I donít think Iíve seen as many in such a short period of time. They seemed to come from all directions and it was as if they were following us around.

As a kid I would never have believed that I would see what Iíve seen today, so many raptors with a wingspan of more than 5 feet flying over Tyneside, itís amazing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	227333  Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	227334  Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	227335  Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	227338  
Old Sunday 15th November 2009, 01:41   #47
Mickr

Quote:
A beautiful sunny morning, blue skies and yes, lots of kites to be seen, all over the area chosen for the Kite Safari, led by Ken Sanderson, and arranged by Sylvia Jones.
Leonard and I joined the Group at Thornley Woods/Hollinhill Lane. Attached is a group photograph.
I finally met Mick and his wife, who are two new members - you are very welcome! A group of Durham University Students also joined us, making about thirty in all.
My shots of kites are not up to scratch - too high in the sky, and the one shot I'd loved to have got, of a kite swooping over the hedge, within ten feet, wasn't possible, as I was driving at the time!!
But I know that Mick will join us with his impressions of the Safari and some of his superb images!
I've just noticed the website. http://friendsofredkites.org.uk/index.htm
Old Sunday 15th November 2009, 10:16   #48
June Atkinson

Red face FoRK website

Quote:
I've just noticed the website. http://friendsofredkites.org.uk/index.htm
Yes, it has gone live, Mick, but it is still under construction. There are one or two things to sort out, but we are hopeful that it will be a good vehicle for spreading our news and encouraging people from both in and beyond the core area of the Derwent Valley to come and see our glorious kites at first-hand and to become guardians of this growing family of kites!

Old Sunday 15th November 2009, 12:13   #49
Mickr

Quote:
Yes, it has gone live, Mick, but it is still under construction. There are one or two things to sort out, but we are hopeful that it will be a good vehicle for spreading our news and encouraging people from both in and beyond the core area of the Derwent Valley to come and see our glorious kites at first-hand and to become guardians of this growing family of kites!

I guess it will always be under construction, it looks much better than the original format, it looks clearer and is easier on the eye. The site is simple to to get around which is a bonus these days when a lot of sites add content for the sake of it.
Old Monday 16th November 2009, 18:08   #50
PeterK

Hi Kathy We sighted a Red Kite just east of Kettering, this morning, weather conditions were appaling, high winds may have blown it of course. But it was quartering the ground like it was at home there. First Ive seen this far over, and not too far from Bedfordshire.

Yours PeterK

John Ruskin
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: