Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.80 average.
Old Sunday 21st February 2010, 17:25   #76
john1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by June Atkinson View Post

This is sickening news, Alan. Apart from Flash, Wing Tag 10, who was poisoned in the early days of the project, we have had no other trouble.
Clearly someone in the Hexham area doesn't share our love for these majestic birds of prey. Their ignorance beggars belief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post

Sad news today that two of our red kites have been found dead in suspicious circumstances in Northumberland, nothing definite but I for one expect human intervention to be the reason.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/8524689.stm
Hi June,
This is very sad indeed,i live near to the Rockingham forest where recently a
Red Kite was found dead.After the initial post mortem ,it was found out to have been shot.
Old Sunday 21st February 2010, 18:34   #77
June Atkinson

Angry Red kites facing danger

Thank you for your message. It seems that, despite all our best efforts, every area in the UK still faces a minority of mindless, ignorant people who are killing these beautiful birds of prey, depriving future generations through their crass and deliberate criminal activity.

Sadly, even if our Wildlife Police Officers bring a case to court, any punishment is not severe enough to deter these people.

Attached are the sad remains of Flash our first year Kite, killed in 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1960 View Post
Hi June,
This is very sad indeed,i live near to the Rockingham forest where recently a
Red Kite was found dead.After the initial post mortem ,it was found out to have been shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flash---tags-copy.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	244244  

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 22nd February 2010, 16:01   #78
john1960

Quote:

Thank you for your message. It seems that, despite all our best efforts, every area in the UK still faces a minority of mindless, ignorant people who are killing these beautiful birds of prey, depriving future generations through their crass and deliberate criminal activity.

Sadly, even if our Wildlife Police Officers bring a case to court, any punishment is not severe enough to deter these people.

Attached are the sad remains of Flash our first year Kite, killed in 2004.
Thanks for your reply June.So sorry to read about Flash.
I,m glad your new group is doing so well and the membership seems to be blossoming,its through groups like yours that people get the right message about these wonderful birds.Some people have got the wrong idea about these birds,i was once stopped by a woman,while viewing a red kite near my home,asking what the bird was,i informed her it was a Red Kite,her reply was look at the size of it, wont it eat my cat!!

I would like to see something similar to your group set up in the Rockingham forest area,however i do not know where or how to start to get the ball rolling? or if their is any group already in existence.
Any ideas would be welcome.
Old Monday 22nd February 2010, 18:03   #79
June Atkinson

Red face Red Kite support group

I had a look at various websites for the Rockingham area - in 2007 there were 400 kites, which is amazing!
But I couldn't find any actual amateur support groups. Our group was initiated when the Northern Kites Project ended in 2009, having had five extremely successful years. We are all volunteers - if you have a look at our website, especially at the Newsletters on the Up-date page, you will see how we have got established and who does what :-)
http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

But it's not easy, setting up a Friends Group - you need people with skills in different areas e.g. someone as a Chair, another with finance experience, volunteers with expertise in doing Presentations, dealing with the publicity and press side of things and everyone being prepared to go the extra mile.
Monitoring, keeping a database and forwarding the data to groups such as BTO - you can see how the jobs need willing and reliable folk!

Even setting up our Constitution took a long time and then we applied for funding, with all of the requirements that demands. We did in fact get funding from the Lottery fund. That brings with it certain demands e.g. how and where to use their logo.

Only if you already have a group of dedicated people would it appear safe to consider establishing a group.

RSPB talks of the Rockingham area with enthusiasm - maybe this could be a place to begin looking for like-minded bird-lovers?
http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/Re...ing.3460741.jp
http://www.northamptonshire.co.uk/archives/00000632.htm

Hope this helps.

June

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1960 View Post
Thanks for your reply June.So sorry to read about Flash.
I,m glad your new group is doing so well and the membership seems to be blossoming,its through groups like yours that people get the right message about these wonderful birds.Some people have got the wrong idea about these birds,i was once stopped by a woman,while viewing a red kite near my home,asking what the bird was,i informed her it was a Red Kite,her reply was look at the size of it, wont it eat my cat!!

I would like to see something similar to your group set up in the Rockingham forest area,however i do not know where or how to start to get the ball rolling? or if their is any group already in existence.
Any ideas would be welcome.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 21:18   #80
Mouldy
skywatcher, dragonhunter

Northern Kites on TV

Animal 24:7 this morning showed a piece from the end of the project last summer. Don't know if it's a repeat or not but I hadn't seen it before.

Here is the link if anyone wants to view on BBCi, the article concerned starts 15 mins 40 secs in and last about 6 mins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s_6_Episode_4/

cheers

Alan M
Old Thursday 25th February 2010, 21:43   #81
June Atkinson

Red face Release of Wing Tag C6

This is a new clip, Alan. This was the final release before the Project ended in July. Tom Heap came with the film unit - I was there on the mound opposite the Nine Arches Viaduct - and took footage of this last memorable release.
Keith Bowey has now set up his own Agency "Glead Ecological and Environmental Services (GEES).

Attached is a shot of C6 flying free........................

June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post
Animal 24:7 this morning showed a piece from the end of the project last summer. Don't know if it's a repeat or not but I hadn't seen it before.

Here is the link if anyone wants to view on BBCi, the article concerned starts 15 mins 40 secs in and last about 6 mins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s_6_Episode_4/

cheers

Alan M
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C6-_flying-3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	245031  

Old Friday 26th February 2010, 22:34   #82
Helen O

John1960, the kites are actively monitored in Northants, if you are interested, please PM me.
Old Saturday 27th February 2010, 15:13   #83
June Atkinson

Red face Rockingham Red Kites

Thanks for picking up this enquiry from John, Helen.
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen O View Post
John1960, the kites are actively monitored in Northants, if you are interested, please PM me.

Old Sunday 7th March 2010, 18:21   #84
Mickr

I've been out today and was lucky enough to see and hear some of the Red kites displaying. Today has probably been the best day that I've ever had watching and listening to them, it was brilliant.

I hope to have one or two good photos.
Old Sunday 7th March 2010, 21:51   #85
June Atkinson

Red face

It's really good at present Mick - Leonard and I were out last Monday and saw ten in various places, including a pair in Barlow and another pair from the Rowlands Gill Viaduct. They flew so low............. I was doing a video of them when, horror of horrors, my battery went flat !

But any possible pics (please not more than half a dozen, 'cos I'm snowed under with other stuff at present) would be really welcome. You have a designated Folder on my FoRK Folder!!

BFN
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickr View Post
I've been out today and was lucky enough to see and hear some of the Red kites displaying. Today has probably been the best day that I've ever had watching and listening to them, it was brilliant.

I hope to have one or two good photos.

Old Tuesday 9th March 2010, 22:34   #86
Mickr

I didn't get too many good photos by the looks of things, these are crops from the first few that I have looked at and I will probably not get a chance to have another look until the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Red Kite.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	247197  Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Red Kites.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	247198  Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Red Kites 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	247201  Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Red Kites.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	247210  
Old Wednesday 10th March 2010, 09:02   #87
June Atkinson

Red face Photographer's luck!

I sympathise, Mick. Last week, I was out and about, and did some videoing in the Barlow Burn. Not wonderful.
But later we went onto the Rowlands Gill viaduct and there, the pair came and were displaying really low above our heads. So, I tried to video them - horror of horrors "Battery flat" came up on the camera viewer!!! And my other set of batteries had already been used.
A wonderful chance lost!

Quote:
I didn't get too many good photos by the looks of things, these are crops from the first few that I have looked at and I will probably not get a chance to have another look until the weekend.

Old Wednesday 10th March 2010, 17:25   #88
Mickr

Quote:
I sympathise, Mick. Last week, I was out and about, and did some videoing in the Barlow Burn. Not wonderful.
But later we went onto the Rowlands Gill viaduct and there, the pair came and were displaying really low above our heads. So, I tried to video them - horror of horrors "Battery flat" came up on the camera viewer!!! And my other set of batteries had already been used.
A wonderful chance lost!
My main problem was that I was seeing Kites so quick and for so long that I was watching the birds instead of taking notice of what I was doing. I use manual settings and just didn't pay any attention to what I was doing as I was constantly taking photographs and not looking at what I was doing.

Normally I'll keep the sun at my back and that makes most of the photographs sorted once I find a setting that works, on Sunday the sun was behind me one minute then the next I was facing it and just clicking away. I have filled a full 8gb memory card for the first time in two years.
Old Wednesday 10th March 2010, 22:58   #89
Mickr

This should have been one of my best photographs ever, I'm gutted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Red Kites Displaying 16.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	247345  
Old Thursday 11th March 2010, 09:32   #90
June Atkinson

Red face Gutted!

Oh, commiserations, Mick!!! Yes, it would have been a brilliant shot. Never mind, you may have another chance sometime.

I hope you enjoyed last evening's Kite Night. Chaplin's as a venue was much better, I think, than the previous one.
Hope to see you around sometime. But do go to the Rowlands Gill viaduct, because there is definitely a pair not far along, and you might get some good views.

Have a look on the FoRK website for Colin Crowdey's images - and his Gallery, for which I've given the url. Kind of him to allow us to have two images - I only asked for one:-)

Quote:
This should have been one of my best photographs ever, I'm gutted.

Old Thursday 11th March 2010, 19:13   #91
Cartman

I was at Galloway last week and went to the Red Kite feeding station, never seen as many Kites in all of my life, there must have been over a hundred.

Took a few photos too
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rk5.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	247456  Click image for larger version

Name:	rk12.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	247458  Click image for larger version

Name:	rk21.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	247459  
Old Thursday 11th March 2010, 20:42   #92
Mickr

Quote:
Oh, commiserations, Mick!!! Yes, it would have been a brilliant shot. Never mind, you may have another chance sometime.

I hope you enjoyed last evening's Kite Night. Chaplin's as a venue was much better, I think, than the previous one.
Hope to see you around sometime. But do go to the Rowlands Gill viaduct, because there is definitely a pair not far along, and you might get some good views.

Have a look on the FoRK website for Colin Crowdey's images - and his Gallery, for which I've given the url. Kind of him to allow us to have two images - I only asked for one:-)
Yes I did enjoy last night, I was a bit surprised that so many people attended. I would think that the venue will struggle if the numbers get any higher. The popularity of FoRK just shows how people have taken to the Red Kites.
Old Thursday 11th March 2010, 21:19   #93
June Atkinson

Red face Kite Night

Glad you and Lynn enjoyed the get-together last night. It's good that our membership is growing steadily; we'll just play it by ear with regard to where we can meet. Chaplin's is where we hold our Committee meetings and where the walkers have a bite to eat sometimes. But, yes, we just about filled it to capacity, didn't we!
Leonard and I did the quiz, and considering we were on our own, I think our 21 score was pretty good!!

Quote:
Yes I did enjoy last night, I was a bit surprised that so many people attended. I would think that the venue will struggle if the numbers get any higher. The popularity of FoRK just shows how people have taken to the Red Kites.

Old Thursday 11th March 2010, 21:23   #94
June Atkinson

Red face Galloway Kites

You did well to be there for the actual feeding session. It is a great spectacle!
The last time we went, they had just been fed, so we saw very few. The kites still need to forage for themselves. The little Visitor Centre is improving, too. Lovely images, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
I was at Galloway last week and went to the Red Kite feeding station, never seen as many Kites in all of my life, there must have been over a hundred.

Took a few photos too

Old Friday 12th March 2010, 05:39   #95
Cartman

Quote:
You did well to be there for the actual feeding session. It is a great spectacle!
The last time we went, they had just been fed, so we saw very few. The kites still need to forage for themselves. The little Visitor Centre is improving, too. Lovely images, too.
even managed to get interviewed by Border tv as they were doing a piece on the illegal poisoning of BoP, apparently I went off on one using the word appalling a lot. I haven't seen it but my friends did on the internet, very embarrassing.

It is a lovely area though, we drove a few miles down the Red Kite trail and within minutes we had seen 6 Kites.

Also I have never seen as many Buzzards in all my life, they were everywhere. Must have seen over a hundred in the week we were there.
Old Friday 12th March 2010, 09:36   #96
June Atkinson

Red face Buzzards and kites

Happily kites and buzzards interact very well, almost to the point sometimes of appearing to be buddies, unlike the Corvids which delight in taunting and attacking the kites!
Buzzards are definitely more numerous; on one occasion, between Hexham and Haltwhistle, on a lovely bright day with lots of thermals and fluffy clouds we saw ten buzzards!!
On the way beack from Hexham to Ponteland on Tuesday, just approaching the slip-road off to Throckley, there was a handsome buzzard, just sitting on the fence. Big, brown and oh, for my camera!!

QUOTE=Cartman;1757669]even managed to get interviewed by Border tv as they were doing a piece on the illegal poisoning of BoP, apparently I went off on one using the word appalling a lot. I haven't seen it but my friends did on the internet, very embarrassing.

It is a lovely area though, we drove a few miles down the Red Kite trail and within minutes we had seen 6 Kites.

Also I have never seen as many Buzzards in all my life, they were everywhere. Must have seen over a hundred in the week we were there.[/quote]

Old Friday 12th March 2010, 16:13   #97
June Atkinson

Red face Northern Kites on BBC

Apparently the ONE Show coverage of Northern Kites is now on next Monday evening, 7pm on 15th March (if they donít switch it at the last minute again!).

Old Friday 12th March 2010, 18:28   #98
Mickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
even managed to get interviewed by Border tv as they were doing a piece on the illegal poisoning of BoP, apparently I went off on one using the word appalling a lot. I haven't seen it but my friends did on the internet, very embarrassing.

Also I have never seen as many Buzzards in all my life, they were everywhere. Must have seen over a hundred in the week we were there.
I wouldn't worry about being embarrassed, and the words which I would have used might not have been as kind as the word you seem to have used a lot.

If your interview stops one poisoning then itís job done.
Old Friday 12th March 2010, 18:51   #99
Cartman

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about being embarrassed, and the words which I would have used might not have been as kind as the word you seem to have used a lot.

If your interview stops one poisoning then itís job done.
Cheers mate, what a nice way to look at it
Old Saturday 13th March 2010, 17:13   #100
Mickr

I've had another good day at the Derwent, Kites are actually carrying non food items so the change in weather has them thinking about increasing our population. The attached photograph isn't a crop its a full sized image of WT16 which has had the quality reduced to display it on here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WT16reduced.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	247718  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: