Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.80 average.
Old Saturday 13th March 2010, 21:40   #101
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Red face Wt16


Now this is one you'll be proud of, Mick - beautiful shot!!
I had only today switched your image on the FoRK website, but if you'd like this one on, please send me a high res image and I'll change them over.
I work to a 500 pixel width, so you may prefer to do the resizing yourself.....I'm happy either way. Let me know on my OE line,please.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickr View Post
I've had another good day at the Derwent, Kites are actually carrying non food items so the change in weather has them thinking about increasing our population. The attached photograph isn't a crop its a full sized image of WT16 which has had the quality reduced to display it on here.
June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 13th March 2010, 23:09   #102
Mickr
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Home
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by June Atkinson View Post

Now this is one you'll be proud of, Mick - beautiful shot!!
I had only today switched your image on the FoRK website, but if you'd like this one on, please send me a high res image and I'll change them over.
I work to a 500 pixel width, so you may prefer to do the resizing yourself.....I'm happy either way. Let me know on my OE line,please.
I know I'm starting to sound like a Fisherman but again, I missed the best shot. I was watching two Red Kites in the valley while changing batteries in the camera. I turned around to see a Red Kite just about to land on a fence post which was 3 or 4 metres away, it noticed me and flew away before I could get anything.

I'll have a look through all of my photographs which were taken on Saturday and will send you the originals and then you can do what you want with them.
Mickr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 13th March 2010, 23:18   #103
Mickr
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Home
Posts: 380
Has the Northern Kites website closed down? I haven't been able to access it for a few days now. If it has closed down, would it be possible to put a list of the introduced Red Kites on the FoRK website and have it updated when Red Kites are spotted so that we know where they are?
Mickr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 14th March 2010, 00:48   #104
Mickr
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Home
Posts: 380
This one should brighten up in Photoshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown reduced.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	247809  
Mickr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 14th March 2010, 07:37   #105
Helen O
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oxon
Posts: 311
Here's one for you June!

A kite with half a tree....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KitewithStick.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	247835  
__________________
http://www.redkites.net
Helen O is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 14th March 2010, 21:45   #106
Mickr
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Home
Posts: 380
Here's a poor photograph of a Red Kite carrying what looked like a clump of grass or possibly a root.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kite Carrying Something.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	248014  
Mickr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 07:40   #107
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Red face Northern Kites link

Thanks for alerting us to this, Mick.
I have tried accessing it both from our own FoRK links and independently, and so far - zilch. I'm seeing Ken this morning - going monitoring - so I'll mention it to him. It could just be down for a reason.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickr View Post
Has the Northern Kites website closed down? I haven't been able to access it for a few days now. If it has closed down, would it be possible to put a list of the introduced Red Kites on the FoRK website and have it updated when Red Kites are spotted so that we know where they are?
June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 15th March 2010, 20:14   #108
Mouldy
skywatcher, dragonhunter
 
Mouldy's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Rowlands Gill
Posts: 771
Strange behaviour?

Hi June,

living at the centre of red kite country as I do, I thought Iíd seen it all, but on going out the back this morning I was greeted by the sight of two kites tumbling out of the sky just beyond the row of houses over the back lane (maybe 30-35 yds in front of me), joined together by the talons as they spun round, disappearing just behind the rooftops in a vertical drop, only to reappear moments later flying upwards and off in opposite directions, both flapping away non-stop Ďtil they had disappeared out of sight.

Now Iíve seen talon grappling many times before in the kites, also in buzzards and sparrowhawks locally as a part of the courtship display, but this has always been momentary and more gentle, this behaviour was more akin to the footage Iíve seen on TV of some species of eagle whose name escapes me which take part in these tumbling displays for more aggressive reasons, like a test of nerve with a rival, (a game of chicken so to speak) dropping out of the sky locked together, and in some cases if they refuse to let go in time can result in one or both parties plummeting to their deaths.
I can honestly say Iíve never seen red kites behaving aggressively towards each other but this behaviour seemed more akin to aggression than courtship, with the two involved birds departing the scene quickly and in virtually opposite directions.
Any one reported anything like it? Certainly a new one to me.

cheers

Alan M
Mouldy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 14:36   #109
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Red face Aggressive kite behaviour


I have never seen this kind of behaviour myself, but know, from seeing photographs taken by other folk, that this can occur. I suppose it's especially likely at the time they kites are establishing their territory!


June


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post
Hi June,

living at the centre of red kite country as I do, I thought Iíd seen it all, but on going out the back this morning I was greeted by the sight of two kites tumbling out of the sky just beyond the row of houses over the back lane (maybe 30-35 yds in front of me), joined together by the talons as they spun round, disappearing just behind the rooftops in a vertical drop, only to reappear moments later flying upwards and off in opposite directions, both flapping away non-stop Ďtil they had disappeared out of sight.

Now Iíve seen talon grappling many times before in the kites, also in buzzards and sparrowhawks locally as a part of the courtship display, but this has always been momentary and more gentle, this behaviour was more akin to the footage Iíve seen on TV of some species of eagle whose name escapes me which take part in these tumbling displays for more aggressive reasons, like a test of nerve with a rival, (a game of chicken so to speak) dropping out of the sky locked together, and in some cases if they refuse to let go in time can result in one or both parties plummeting to their deaths.
I can honestly say Iíve never seen red kites behaving aggressively towards each other but this behaviour seemed more akin to aggression than courtship, with the two involved birds departing the scene quickly and in virtually opposite directions.
Any one reported anything like it? Certainly a new one to me.

cheers

Alan M
June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 18:14   #110
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Red face Aggressive kites

Have a look here, Alan.
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/9250994-md.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post
Hi June,

living at the centre of red kite country as I do, I thought I’d seen it all, but on going out the back this morning I was greeted by the sight of two kites tumbling out of the sky just beyond the row of houses over the back lane (maybe 30-35 yds in front of me), joined together by the talons as they spun round, disappearing just behind the rooftops in a vertical drop, only to reappear moments later flying upwards and off in opposite directions, both flapping away non-stop ‘til they had disappeared out of sight.

Now I’ve seen talon grappling many times before in the kites, also in buzzards and sparrowhawks locally as a part of the courtship display, but this has always been momentary and more gentle, this behaviour was more akin to the footage I’ve seen on TV of some species of eagle whose name escapes me which take part in these tumbling displays for more aggressive reasons, like a test of nerve with a rival, (a game of chicken so to speak) dropping out of the sky locked together, and in some cases if they refuse to let go in time can result in one or both parties plummeting to their deaths.
I can honestly say I’ve never seen red kites behaving aggressively towards each other but this behaviour seemed more akin to aggression than courtship, with the two involved birds departing the scene quickly and in virtually opposite directions.
Any one reported anything like it? Certainly a new one to me.

cheers

Alan M
June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 22:17   #111
Mouldy
skywatcher, dragonhunter
 
Mouldy's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Rowlands Gill
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by June Atkinson View Post
Crackin' photo that June, though I can't really tell whats going on.

Have had messages saying its quite common behaviour and in other species of raptor too, mostly territorial disputes in spring but can be seen any time of year.
Just shows there's always something new to discover, you live and learn.

cheers

Alan M
Mouldy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 20th March 2010, 09:49   #112
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Red face Successful Safari Wednesday, 17 March

FoRK Volunteers welcomed a large group of birdwatchers/walkers to the Derwent Valley.
A full account can be found here:
http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page6.htm



June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 27th March 2010, 18:55   #113
Mickr
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Home
Posts: 380
I went up to Kielder today and watched 3 Red Kites flying around Acomb.
Mickr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 10th May 2010, 10:29   #114
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Red face Advance notice of Red Kite Event



Our FoRK Health Walks are continuing from now until August. Everyone is welcome to come along. As you see from the programme, the walks are varied.


Friends of Red Kites are working alongside Gateshead Council Rangers in this Event which will run this summer.

Visit the FoRK website to keep in touch as this year's breeding season gets underway.

www.friendsofredkites.org.uk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HealthWalkprogmayaug10-copy.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	258585  Click image for larger version

Name:	KiteWatching2010-copy.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	258586  
June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 20th June 2010, 22:02   #115
Mickr
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Home
Posts: 380
It looks like the Red Kites are having a good breeding season, the link has this story plus what looks like one of this years young.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/10357906.stm

Red kite project on Tyneside breeds success


Experts say a scheme to reintroduce endangered red kites to the North East is continuing to prove a success.

The Northern Kites project released almost 100 of the birds of prey into the lower Derwent Valley in Gateshead between 2004 and 2006.

A fresh clutch of chicks are being ringed and wing tagged at a secret location near Gibside, where some of the birds have settled.

The National Trust said the birds had established "sustainable territories".

Red kites have also been reported at nest sites at Blaydon, Hamsterley Hill, Rowlands Gill and Chopwell.

Two years ago the number of red kite chicks born in the Derwent Valley was 15. The National Trust says that figure has now risen to 20.

A spokesman said: "It is fantastic news and the hope is that they continue to expand across the North East."

The birds used to be a common sight in the UK, but human interference meant they were extinct by the 19th Century.
Mickr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 23rd June 2010, 16:24   #116
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Red face Birdforum member's work

Here are our two Pop-up Banners. Ian Curran kindly donated his photographs to FoRK and the firm who produced them said that the images were superb!

Thank you again, Ian.


June
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pop-ups.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	268301  
June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th June 2010, 16:14   #117
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Red face Our first 13 chicks of 2010

The first thirteen chicks in the North East have been located ( with great difficulty in some instances) and then Wing Tagged and Ringed.
We hope there are more nests to be found. The help of local residents was especially appreciated.

June
Press & Publicity
FoRK

www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-chicks-D0-E2-copy.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	268837  
June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th June 2010, 21:26   #118
Mickr
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Home
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by June Atkinson View Post
The first thirteen chicks in the North East have been located ( with great difficulty in some instances) and then Wing Tagged and Ringed.
We hope there are more nests to be found. The help of local residents was especially appreciated.

June
Press & Publicity
FoRK

www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

June,

This is probably a stupid question but here goes, why are the Kites being tagged with different letters?
Mickr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 27th June 2010, 08:35   #119
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Red face Tags with letters

This is the series for our very own babies, Mick............... starting of course with A, then working each year to this year, when we need to start with D1 - D9 , not D10 apparently, and then the E sequence. Any more chicks we find will be E3-E9, then next year, all being well, it will be F and G perhaps.

The kites have led everybody on the Monitoring Team, and especially Ken, a merry dance!!

I'll be putting up a series of images following the process in the next couple of days.
June
FoRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickr View Post
June,

This is probably a stupid question but here goes, why are the Kites being tagged with different letters?
June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th June 2010, 08:51   #120
Mickr
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Home
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by June Atkinson View Post
This is the series for our very own babies, Mick............... starting of course with A, then working each year to this year, when we need to start with D1 - D9 , not D10 apparently, and then the E sequence. Any more chicks we find will be E3-E9, then next year, all being well, it will be F and G perhaps.

The kites have led everybody on the Monitoring Team, and especially Ken, a merry dance!!

I'll be putting up a series of images following the process in the next couple of days.
June
FoRK
I understand, so they are keeping it to one letter and one number regardless of when they were born. I originally thought that maybe a letter was being used for each year.
Mickr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 27th June 2010, 09:15   #121
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Red face Tagging history


Have a look here, Mick http://www.northernkites.org.uk/updates2007.htm

If you follow through the history here, I think you'll get the gist of how it works.

June


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickr View Post
I understand, so they are keeping it to one letter and one number regardless of when they were born. I originally thought that maybe a letter was being used for each year.
June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th June 2010, 22:21   #122
Mickr
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Home
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by June Atkinson View Post

Have a look here, Mick http://www.northernkites.org.uk/updates2007.htm

If you follow through the history here, I think you'll get the gist of how it works.

June
Some idiot (I assume) has removed the sign which was on the viaduct to let people know that it was a good place to view Red Kites.
Mickr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 28th June 2010, 09:50   #123
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Red face Notice for Viewing the Red kites


I'm surprised that it wasn't noticed and replaced - yesterday was another Kitewatch. I'll mention it to someone. Kitewatch is run officially by Gateshead Council, with the support of Friends of Red Kites.
There is a page on our FoRK site http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page10.htm


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickr View Post
Some idiot (I assume) has removed the sign which was on the viaduct to let people know that it was a good place to view Red Kites.
June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 29th June 2010, 15:34   #124
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Red face Wing tagging and ringing our new chicks

Go to http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page8.htm for a step-by-step account of the procedures and people involved in this year's tagging and ringing.


Look at ITV 6-6.30pm this evening - a possible chat between RSPB and a member of FoRK. This is in relation to the proposed re-introduction of red kites into Cumbria.
June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 2nd July 2010, 15:37   #125
June Atkinson
Registered User
 
June Atkinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,934
Unhappy Newsflash Police press release on two red kites found dead.

A press release today highlights the plight of our red kites in some areas. Northumbria Police have today confirmed that the two kites found near Steel, Hexham, were poisoned. For further details go to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/10490567.stm

and
http://www.hawick-news.co.uk/latest-...ite.6398252.jp

June Atkinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Kites in the East Midlands Carless Leicestershire 8 Friday 1st June 2012 17:46
Red Kites in North East England rayl Birds Of Prey 19 Sunday 7th November 2004 21:42
Red Kites May Soar Again In North East Skies: Plans Unveiled to Bring Rare Birds Back Chris Monk Birds Of Prey 31 Saturday 20th December 2003 22:31



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.23913503 seconds with 36 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:41.