Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.80 average.
Old Saturday 13th March 2010, 21:40   #101
June Atkinson

Red face Wt16

Now this is one you'll be proud of, Mick - beautiful shot!!
I had only today switched your image on the FoRK website, but if you'd like this one on, please send me a high res image and I'll change them over.
I work to a 500 pixel width, so you may prefer to do the resizing yourself.....I'm happy either way. Let me know on my OE line,please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickr View Post
I've had another good day at the Derwent, Kites are actually carrying non food items so the change in weather has them thinking about increasing our population. The attached photograph isn't a crop its a full sized image of WT16 which has had the quality reduced to display it on here.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 13th March 2010, 23:09   #102
Mickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by June Atkinson View Post

Now this is one you'll be proud of, Mick - beautiful shot!!
I had only today switched your image on the FoRK website, but if you'd like this one on, please send me a high res image and I'll change them over.
I work to a 500 pixel width, so you may prefer to do the resizing yourself.....I'm happy either way. Let me know on my OE line,please.
I know I'm starting to sound like a Fisherman but again, I missed the best shot. I was watching two Red Kites in the valley while changing batteries in the camera. I turned around to see a Red Kite just about to land on a fence post which was 3 or 4 metres away, it noticed me and flew away before I could get anything.

I'll have a look through all of my photographs which were taken on Saturday and will send you the originals and then you can do what you want with them.
Old Saturday 13th March 2010, 23:18   #103
Mickr

Has the Northern Kites website closed down? I haven't been able to access it for a few days now. If it has closed down, would it be possible to put a list of the introduced Red Kites on the FoRK website and have it updated when Red Kites are spotted so that we know where they are?
Old Sunday 14th March 2010, 00:48   #104
Mickr

This one should brighten up in Photoshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown reduced.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	247809  
Old Sunday 14th March 2010, 07:37   #105
Helen O

Here's one for you June!

A kite with half a tree....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KitewithStick.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	247835  
Old Sunday 14th March 2010, 21:45   #106
Mickr

Here's a poor photograph of a Red Kite carrying what looked like a clump of grass or possibly a root.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kite Carrying Something.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	248014  
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 07:40   #107
June Atkinson

Red face Northern Kites link

Thanks for alerting us to this, Mick.
I have tried accessing it both from our own FoRK links and independently, and so far - zilch. I'm seeing Ken this morning - going monitoring - so I'll mention it to him. It could just be down for a reason.

Quote:
Has the Northern Kites website closed down? I haven't been able to access it for a few days now. If it has closed down, would it be possible to put a list of the introduced Red Kites on the FoRK website and have it updated when Red Kites are spotted so that we know where they are?

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 15th March 2010, 20:14   #108
Mouldy
skywatcher, dragonhunter

Strange behaviour?

Hi June,

living at the centre of red kite country as I do, I thought Iíd seen it all, but on going out the back this morning I was greeted by the sight of two kites tumbling out of the sky just beyond the row of houses over the back lane (maybe 30-35 yds in front of me), joined together by the talons as they spun round, disappearing just behind the rooftops in a vertical drop, only to reappear moments later flying upwards and off in opposite directions, both flapping away non-stop Ďtil they had disappeared out of sight.

Now Iíve seen talon grappling many times before in the kites, also in buzzards and sparrowhawks locally as a part of the courtship display, but this has always been momentary and more gentle, this behaviour was more akin to the footage Iíve seen on TV of some species of eagle whose name escapes me which take part in these tumbling displays for more aggressive reasons, like a test of nerve with a rival, (a game of chicken so to speak) dropping out of the sky locked together, and in some cases if they refuse to let go in time can result in one or both parties plummeting to their deaths.
I can honestly say Iíve never seen red kites behaving aggressively towards each other but this behaviour seemed more akin to aggression than courtship, with the two involved birds departing the scene quickly and in virtually opposite directions.
Any one reported anything like it? Certainly a new one to me.

cheers

Alan M
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 14:36   #109
June Atkinson

Red face Aggressive kite behaviour

I have never seen this kind of behaviour myself, but know, from seeing photographs taken by other folk, that this can occur. I suppose it's especially likely at the time they kites are establishing their territory!

June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post
Hi June,

living at the centre of red kite country as I do, I thought Iíd seen it all, but on going out the back this morning I was greeted by the sight of two kites tumbling out of the sky just beyond the row of houses over the back lane (maybe 30-35 yds in front of me), joined together by the talons as they spun round, disappearing just behind the rooftops in a vertical drop, only to reappear moments later flying upwards and off in opposite directions, both flapping away non-stop Ďtil they had disappeared out of sight.

Now Iíve seen talon grappling many times before in the kites, also in buzzards and sparrowhawks locally as a part of the courtship display, but this has always been momentary and more gentle, this behaviour was more akin to the footage Iíve seen on TV of some species of eagle whose name escapes me which take part in these tumbling displays for more aggressive reasons, like a test of nerve with a rival, (a game of chicken so to speak) dropping out of the sky locked together, and in some cases if they refuse to let go in time can result in one or both parties plummeting to their deaths.
I can honestly say Iíve never seen red kites behaving aggressively towards each other but this behaviour seemed more akin to aggression than courtship, with the two involved birds departing the scene quickly and in virtually opposite directions.

cheers

Alan M

Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 18:14   #110
June Atkinson

Red face Aggressive kites

Have a look here, Alan.
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/9250994-md.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post
Hi June,

living at the centre of red kite country as I do, I thought I’d seen it all, but on going out the back this morning I was greeted by the sight of two kites tumbling out of the sky just beyond the row of houses over the back lane (maybe 30-35 yds in front of me), joined together by the talons as they spun round, disappearing just behind the rooftops in a vertical drop, only to reappear moments later flying upwards and off in opposite directions, both flapping away non-stop ‘til they had disappeared out of sight.

Now I’ve seen talon grappling many times before in the kites, also in buzzards and sparrowhawks locally as a part of the courtship display, but this has always been momentary and more gentle, this behaviour was more akin to the footage I’ve seen on TV of some species of eagle whose name escapes me which take part in these tumbling displays for more aggressive reasons, like a test of nerve with a rival, (a game of chicken so to speak) dropping out of the sky locked together, and in some cases if they refuse to let go in time can result in one or both parties plummeting to their deaths.
I can honestly say I’ve never seen red kites behaving aggressively towards each other but this behaviour seemed more akin to aggression than courtship, with the two involved birds departing the scene quickly and in virtually opposite directions.

cheers

Alan M

Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 22:17   #111
Mouldy
skywatcher, dragonhunter

Quote:
Crackin' photo that June, though I can't really tell whats going on.

Have had messages saying its quite common behaviour and in other species of raptor too, mostly territorial disputes in spring but can be seen any time of year.
Just shows there's always something new to discover, you live and learn.

cheers

Alan M
Old Saturday 20th March 2010, 09:49   #112
June Atkinson

Red face Successful Safari Wednesday, 17 March

FoRK Volunteers welcomed a large group of birdwatchers/walkers to the Derwent Valley.
A full account can be found here:
http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page6.htm

Old Saturday 27th March 2010, 18:55   #113
Mickr

I went up to Kielder today and watched 3 Red Kites flying around Acomb.
Old Monday 10th May 2010, 10:29   #114
June Atkinson

Red face Advance notice of Red Kite Event

Our FoRK Health Walks are continuing from now until August. Everyone is welcome to come along. As you see from the programme, the walks are varied.

Friends of Red Kites are working alongside Gateshead Council Rangers in this Event which will run this summer.

Visit the FoRK website to keep in touch as this year's breeding season gets underway.

www.friendsofredkites.org.uk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HealthWalkprogmayaug10-copy.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	258585  Click image for larger version

Name:	KiteWatching2010-copy.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	258586  

Old Sunday 20th June 2010, 22:02   #115
Mickr

It looks like the Red Kites are having a good breeding season, the link has this story plus what looks like one of this years young.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/10357906.stm

Red kite project on Tyneside breeds success

Experts say a scheme to reintroduce endangered red kites to the North East is continuing to prove a success.

The Northern Kites project released almost 100 of the birds of prey into the lower Derwent Valley in Gateshead between 2004 and 2006.

A fresh clutch of chicks are being ringed and wing tagged at a secret location near Gibside, where some of the birds have settled.

The National Trust said the birds had established "sustainable territories".

Red kites have also been reported at nest sites at Blaydon, Hamsterley Hill, Rowlands Gill and Chopwell.

Two years ago the number of red kite chicks born in the Derwent Valley was 15. The National Trust says that figure has now risen to 20.

A spokesman said: "It is fantastic news and the hope is that they continue to expand across the North East."

The birds used to be a common sight in the UK, but human interference meant they were extinct by the 19th Century.
Old Wednesday 23rd June 2010, 16:24   #116
June Atkinson

Red face Birdforum member's work

Here are our two Pop-up Banners. Ian Curran kindly donated his photographs to FoRK and the firm who produced them said that the images were superb!

Thank you again, Ian.

June
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pop-ups.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	268301  

Old Saturday 26th June 2010, 16:14   #117
June Atkinson

Red face Our first 13 chicks of 2010

The first thirteen chicks in the North East have been located ( with great difficulty in some instances) and then Wing Tagged and Ringed.
We hope there are more nests to be found. The help of local residents was especially appreciated.

June
Press & Publicity
FoRK

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010-chicks-D0-E2-copy.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	268837  

Old Saturday 26th June 2010, 21:26   #118
Mickr

Quote:
The first thirteen chicks in the North East have been located ( with great difficulty in some instances) and then Wing Tagged and Ringed.
We hope there are more nests to be found. The help of local residents was especially appreciated.

June
Press & Publicity
FoRK

June,

This is probably a stupid question but here goes, why are the Kites being tagged with different letters?
Old Sunday 27th June 2010, 08:35   #119
June Atkinson

Red face Tags with letters

This is the series for our very own babies, Mick............... starting of course with A, then working each year to this year, when we need to start with D1 - D9 , not D10 apparently, and then the E sequence. Any more chicks we find will be E3-E9, then next year, all being well, it will be F and G perhaps.

The kites have led everybody on the Monitoring Team, and especially Ken, a merry dance!!

I'll be putting up a series of images following the process in the next couple of days.
June
FoRK

Quote:
June,

This is probably a stupid question but here goes, why are the Kites being tagged with different letters?

Old Sunday 27th June 2010, 08:51   #120
Mickr

Quote:
This is the series for our very own babies, Mick............... starting of course with A, then working each year to this year, when we need to start with D1 - D9 , not D10 apparently, and then the E sequence. Any more chicks we find will be E3-E9, then next year, all being well, it will be F and G perhaps.

The kites have led everybody on the Monitoring Team, and especially Ken, a merry dance!!

I'll be putting up a series of images following the process in the next couple of days.
June
FoRK
I understand, so they are keeping it to one letter and one number regardless of when they were born. I originally thought that maybe a letter was being used for each year.
Old Sunday 27th June 2010, 09:15   #121
June Atkinson

Red face Tagging history

Have a look here, Mick http://www.northernkites.org.uk/updates2007.htm

If you follow through the history here, I think you'll get the gist of how it works.

June

Quote:
I understand, so they are keeping it to one letter and one number regardless of when they were born. I originally thought that maybe a letter was being used for each year.

Old Sunday 27th June 2010, 22:21   #122
Mickr

Quote:

Have a look here, Mick http://www.northernkites.org.uk/updates2007.htm

If you follow through the history here, I think you'll get the gist of how it works.

June
Some idiot (I assume) has removed the sign which was on the viaduct to let people know that it was a good place to view Red Kites.
Old Monday 28th June 2010, 09:50   #123
June Atkinson

Red face Notice for Viewing the Red kites

I'm surprised that it wasn't noticed and replaced - yesterday was another Kitewatch. I'll mention it to someone. Kitewatch is run officially by Gateshead Council, with the support of Friends of Red Kites.
There is a page on our FoRK site http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page10.htm

Quote:
Some idiot (I assume) has removed the sign which was on the viaduct to let people know that it was a good place to view Red Kites.

Old Tuesday 29th June 2010, 15:34   #124
June Atkinson

Red face Wing tagging and ringing our new chicks

Go to http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page8.htm for a step-by-step account of the procedures and people involved in this year's tagging and ringing.

Look at ITV 6-6.30pm this evening - a possible chat between RSPB and a member of FoRK. This is in relation to the proposed re-introduction of red kites into Cumbria.

Old Friday 2nd July 2010, 15:37   #125
June Atkinson

Unhappy Newsflash Police press release on two red kites found dead.

A press release today highlights the plight of our red kites in some areas. Northumbria Police have today confirmed that the two kites found near Steel, Hexham, were poisoned. For further details go to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/10490567.stm

and
http://www.hawick-news.co.uk/latest-...ite.6398252.jp

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: