Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.80 average.
Old Friday 2nd July 2010, 22:44   #126
Mickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by June Atkinson View Post
A press release today highlights the plight of our red kites in some areas. Northumbria Police have today confirmed that the two kites found near Steel, Hexham, were poisoned. For further details go to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/10490567.stm

and
http://www.hawick-news.co.uk/latest-...ite.6398252.jp

And I was informed at school that the Amoeba was the lowest form of life, how wrong that was. It's way past the time when they should start locking these people up.

Any land owner who kills a protected animal or allows a protected animal to be killed on his or her land should have it confiscated. A poacher can have his equipment confiscated or a cigarette smuggler can have his house confiscated if he stores contraband at home so why not do the same to these people?

It’s a pity that a few people can spoil so much enjoyment for so many people and keep getting away with it.
Old Friday 2nd July 2010, 23:43   #127
Irish Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickr View Post
And I was informed at school that the Amoeba was the lowest form of life, how wrong that was. It's way past the time when they should start locking these people up.

Any land owner who kills a protected animal or allows a protected animal to be killed on his or her land should have it confiscated. A poacher can have his equipment confiscated or a cigarette smuggler can have his house confiscated if he stores contraband at home so why not do the same to these people?

It’s a pity that a few people can spoil so much enjoyment for so many people and keep getting away with it.
+1

Its about time a zero tolerance policy was implemented to deal with these scumbags
Old Saturday 3rd July 2010, 09:56   #128
June Atkinson

Unhappy Kite deaths

Sadly, we are not the only area suffering from persecution. Yorkshire has had several suspicious deaths, and of course, despite huge efforts by volunteers within Groups, Scotland still persecutes the kites in some areas.

Problems have arisen after the reintroduction in Northern Ireland.

"A bird of prey extinct in Northern Ireland for at least two centuries is making a spectacular recovery as the first phase of a red kite reintroduction project began in southern County Down earlier today.

Northern Ireland Red Kites is the first species reintroduction in Northern Ireland and part of an All-Ireland project to bring back these exciting birds of prey to Northern Ireland. Project partners are the Welsh Kite Trust, the Golden Eagle Trust and the RSPB.

The project, which will release 27 kites this year, hopes to see these birds of global conservation concern become permanent residents in the rolling countryside of south Co Down."

(Quote RSPB)

June Atkinson
Press & Publicity
Friends of Red Kites
in the North East of England

www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Kite View Post
+1

Its about time a zero tolerance policy was implemented to deal with these scumbags

Last edited by June Atkinson : Saturday 3rd July 2010 at 10:00.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 11th July 2010, 09:02   #129
June Atkinson

Red face Happier news

Mick R and I were privileged to be part of the FoRK Team which went in search of what might be the last of this season's nests to be located.
The nest was high in a very slim tree and the climber had great difficulty in reaching it. Unlike the often platform-type nest, this one was tightly built into the deep fork of the tree.
Reaching it, two eggs were found and one very lively but young chick. Keith Bowey ringed it but advised against tagging it, as it was not developed enough.

More pics on our website www.friendsofredkites.org.uk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Causey-nest61.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	271916  Click image for larger version

Name:	P7100187_xedited-1-copy.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	272048  

Last edited by June Atkinson : Sunday 11th July 2010 at 21:22.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 18th July 2010, 21:18   #130
Mickr

I have finally identified the second parent and it isn't a Northern Kite.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	273133  
Old Sunday 18th July 2010, 22:20   #131
June Atkinson

Red face Mixing the genes!

This is great detective work, Mick! You have enabled Ken to identify this parent kite at Causey Gill as one from the Central Scotland area.

The red tag T2 on the left wing denotes Central Scotland, and the blue tag on the right wing denotes a 2001 bird.
But to have this pair - our Wing Tag 83 "Red Saint" and the Scottish bird succeeding in raising a chick is excellent news! The two eggs which failed to hatch will be sent for analysis as to why they failed.

Our thanks to Mick for all his time and effort in helping to establish the facts of the nest in Causey Gill.

Quote:
I have finally identified the second parent and it isn't a Northern Kite.

Old Sunday 18th July 2010, 23:42   #132
Mickr

Quote:

This is great detective work, Mick! You have enabled Ken to identify this parent kite at Causey Gill as one from the Central Scotland area.

The red tag T2 on the left wing denotes Central Scotland, and the blue tag on the right wing denotes a 2001 bird.
But to have this pair - our Wing Tag 83 "Red Saint" and the Scottish bird succeeding in raising a chick is excellent news! The two eggs which failed to hatch will be sent for analysis as to why they failed.

Our thanks to Mick for all his time and effort in helping to establish the facts of the nest in Causey Gill.
Here's a further puzzle, these were taken within a couple of minutes of the other photograph and at the same place. T2 was taken at 17:51 and the others were taken at 17:53. T2 landed in the tree which contained the nest while the other Red Kite was circling the tree and kept flying away for a few minutes then kept coming back. The last time I was able to watch the second Red Kite was when it was above the Bird of Prey centre at Beamish which is probably no more than 500 yards in a direct line from where I was parked originally and taking the photographs.

Do we know if T2 is a male or female?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WT84 or B4.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	273153  Click image for larger version

Name:	WTB4 or 84.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	273154  
Old Monday 19th July 2010, 10:43   #133
June Atkinson

Red face T2 at Causey Gill

WT 83 is Red Saint, a male, so this would imply that T2 is the female.
I think we need verification from our Monitoring Team as to which two pairs are nesting and producing young in Causey Gill.

I was under the impression that T2 and WT83 were a pair, but your second image shows wing Tag 84, which is a female kite from 2006.

It will all become clear, in time. Again, Mick, although I know you will ahve enjoyed getting these shots, we are grateful for your willingness to devote time to helping solve the puzzle of Causey Gill!!

Quote:
Here's a further puzzle, these were taken within a couple of minutes of the other photograph and at the same place. T2 was taken at 17:51 and the others were taken at 17:53. T2 landed in the tree which contained the nest while the other Red Kite was circling the tree and kept flying away for a few minutes then kept coming back. The last time I was able to watch the second Red Kite was when it was above the Bird of Prey centre at Beamish which is probably no more than 500 yards in a direct line from where I was parked originally and taking the photographs.

Do we know if T2 is a male or female?

Old Wednesday 21st July 2010, 09:47   #134
June Atkinson

Red face T2 identity

It's now been confirmed by Ken that T2 is, in fact a 2007 Scottish kite, not 2001 as at first thought.

It's still not absolutely clear which pair are the chick's parents, but most probably WT83 and T2.
Where WT84 fits in, I'm not sure.

Quote:

WT 83 is Red Saint, a male, so this would imply that T2 is the female.
I think we need verification from our Monitoring Team as to which two pairs are nesting and producing young in Causey Gill.

I was under the impression that T2 and WT83 were a pair, but your second image shows wing Tag 84, which is a female kite from 2006.

It will all become clear, in time. Again, Mick, although I know you will ahve enjoyed getting these shots, we are grateful for your willingness to devote time to helping solve the puzzle of Causey Gill!!

Old Friday 23rd July 2010, 15:42   #135
June Atkinson

Unhappy Breaking news

Look out for an article in tomorrow's Journal and also in the Chronicle - more bad news, I'm afraid!!

Old Friday 23rd July 2010, 15:53   #136
Irish Kite

Quote:
Look out for an article in tomorrow's Journal and also in the Chronicle - more bad news, I'm afraid!!
Details???
Old Friday 23rd July 2010, 20:58   #137
Mickr

Quote:
I'm not looking forward to reading that. On a brighter note I was at the nest site where the last Kite was ringed this year and managed to take the attached photograph of an un-tagged Kite.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untagged Red Kite.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	274105  
Old Saturday 24th July 2010, 09:40   #138
Mickr

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26920795/

Nesting pair of red kites found dead near Stocksfield

Jul 24 2010 by Paul Tully, The Journal

A PAIR of red kites who became well-known to tourists and animal lovers have been found dead.

Numerous visitors travelled to the kites’ nesting site near Whittonstall, Northumberland, last year, where they were clearly visible at long-range for several months.

But now their bodies have been discovered in the same vicinity of woodland at Hindley, near Stocksfield, Northumberland.

The bird carcasses have now been sent to the London Institute of Zoology for forensic analysis to determine how they died.

The find comes just a few weeks after another pair of red kites were found dead at Steel, near Hexham. It is believed they died after eating carrion illegally laced with poison.

Ken Sanderson, chairman of Friends of Red Kites, said the latest pair were discovered at different times but in the same wooded area. “The birds were wing-tagged, so we have been able to identify them,” he said.

“One is Ziggy, who nested with another kite, Jammy Dodger, near the Highland Cattle Centre close to Whittonstall last year.

“The other is Ponteland Sunrise, who had nested there this year after the first kite, Jammy Dodger, left.

“At least one chick will, inevitably, also have perished. We were not sure how many chicks were in the nest but we believe one had hatched and possibly more.

“The tree-climbers have not gone up to see yet. I have asked for the forensic investigation to be fast-tracked and we are now awaiting the results.”

The dead kites, among dozens of others, had been adopted and named by local schools as part of a development programme run by the Friends of Red Kites. After Ziggy and Jammy Dodger nested at Whittonstall in spring last year, numerous visitors used the vantage point provided by the Highland Cattle Centre on the opposite side of a small valley to view the isolated nest high in trees.

James Leonard, RSPB Investigations Officer, said: “It is another unfortunate and tragic incident. If anyone knows anything at all about how these birds died, please contact us.

“The kites are an essential part of the heritage of Northumberland and it is essential that we understand why they have died.

“It would be unusual for a pair of healthy birds with a newly-hatched chick to have died naturally but we will know more when we receive the results of the forensic tests.”

Northumbria Police wildlife co-ordinator Don Churchill said: “We ask anyone who can help with information to contact us on 0345 604 3043.”
Old Saturday 24th July 2010, 10:05   #139
June Atkinson

Unhappy A significant loss

You may remember that last year the Highland Cattle Centre enjoyed great publicity and its visitor numbers soared after the arrival of the first pair of kites, Ziggy WT40, adopted by Emmanuel College, Gateshead and Jammy Dodger, WT74, adopted by St. Joseph's School Gateshead. They were successful in rearing a chick.

The death of this new pair, Ziggy, and WTA5 Ponteland Sunrise, adopted by Ponteland High School, deprives hundreds of people of the same opportunity this summer. It is all very sad. Ziggy was a star, always around at Roost Watches and at Kitewatch. She stayed in the area after being released in 2005 and gave pleasure to us all.

With the death of the previous two birds, found earlier this year at Steel near Hexham, it is a matter of grave concern. We await the outcome of the postmortems which will be carried out by London Zoo.

Attached is a photo of some children being shown where to look for the nest last year, by the previous owner of the Highland Cattle Centre. Also attached are photos of Ziggy and Ponteland Sunrise.

Friends of Red Kites will co-operate with the Police and the RSPB in the hope that such deaths can be prevented in the future.

Quote:
http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26920795/

Nesting pair of red kites found dead near Stocksfield

Jul 24 2010 by Paul Tully, The Journal

A PAIR of red kites who became well-known to tourists and animal lovers have been found dead.

Numerous visitors travelled to the kites’ nesting site near Whittonstall, Northumberland, last year, where they were clearly visible at long-range for several months.

But now their bodies have been discovered in the same vicinity of woodland at Hindley, near Stocksfield, Northumberland.

The bird carcasses have now been sent to the London Institute of Zoology for forensic analysis to determine how they died.

The find comes just a few weeks after another pair of red kites were found dead at Steel, near Hexham. It is believed they died after eating carrion illegally laced with poison.

Ken Sanderson, chairman of Friends of Red Kites, said the latest pair were discovered at different times but in the same wooded area. “The birds were wing-tagged, so we have been able to identify them,” he said.

“One is Ziggy, who nested with another kite, Jammy Dodger, near the Highland Cattle Centre close to Whittonstall last year.

“The other is Ponteland Sunrise, who had nested there this year after the first kite, Jammy Dodger, left.

“At least one chick will, inevitably, also have perished. We were not sure how many chicks were in the nest but we believe one had hatched and possibly more.

“The tree-climbers have not gone up to see yet. I have asked for the forensic investigation to be fast-tracked and we are now awaiting the results.”

The dead kites, among dozens of others, had been adopted and named by local schools as part of a development programme run by the Friends of Red Kites. After Ziggy and Jammy Dodger nested at Whittonstall in spring last year, numerous visitors used the vantage point provided by the Highland Cattle Centre on the opposite side of a small valley to view the isolated nest high in trees.

James Leonard, RSPB Investigations Officer, said: “It is another unfortunate and tragic incident. If anyone knows anything at all about how these birds died, please contact us.

“The kites are an essential part of the heritage of Northumberland and it is essential that we understand why they have died.

“It would be unusual for a pair of healthy birds with a newly-hatched chick to have died naturally but we will know more when we receive the results of the forensic tests.”

Northumbria Police wildlife co-ordinator Don Churchill said: “We ask anyone who can help with information to contact us on 0345 604 3043.”
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WT40 Ziggy.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	274173  Click image for larger version

Name:	Ponteland Sunrise_edited-3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	274174  Click image for larger version

Name:	High-Cattle-Centre_nest09.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	274175  

Last edited by June Atkinson : Saturday 24th July 2010 at 10:13.

Old Monday 26th July 2010, 21:50   #140
Mouldy
skywatcher, dragonhunter

Ziggy - A personal obituary

I am particularly saddened by this latest piece of news, having been present at the release of Ziggy back in 2005, though she only flew a few yards into the trees above us, allowing me to take the attached photo.
Since then I've followed her fortunes as my own adopted kite, not too difficult as she was regularly spotted at either Barlow Fell or Sherburn Towers Farm where she would perch on the pylons allowing easy recognition, and I even ID'd her over my garden on a couple of occasions which were cracking moments.
Local sightings obviously stopped after she paired up last year, indeed up until then I don't think anyone even knew what sex she was, but even though I was chuffed when she successfully became a parent, I have to add that even then I wished she had chosen somewhere a bit 'safer' to nest.
I wasn't aware the pair were back in the same area this year so just reading the above postings telling of the discovery of the corpses is a bit of a shocker to say the least.

OK, cause of death unknown but I doubt anyone will be surprised at the verdict, and there was me complaining when the neighbours put ant powder down....

RIP Ziggy and Ponteland Sunrise

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40b.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	274621  
Old Monday 26th July 2010, 22:03   #141
Irish Kite

Terribly sad and depressing news. I feel the pain of the good people who work with these magnficient birds after a torrid spring over here in ireland when we lost more birds to this sort of wilfull ignorance

Last edited by Irish Kite : Monday 26th July 2010 at 22:09.
Old Monday 26th July 2010, 22:30   #142
June Atkinson

Unhappy Mouldy's memory of Ziggy

Thank you for posting this lovely remembrance, Alan. Like you, I always had a special affection for Ziggy. when we did Roost Watches, you could bet your bottom dollar that she would be there. I took great pleasure in saying "That's Ziggy, adopted by Emmanuel College, Gateshead."

This toll of four dead kites this year is extremely worrying. We hope that London Zoo will fast track the recent two cases, as they were a nesting pair and found close together. We are all saddened by these deaths.

June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post
I am particularly saddened by this latest piece of news, having been present at the release of Ziggy back in 2005, though she only flew a few yards into the trees above us, allowing me to take the attached photo.
Since then I've followed her fortunes as my own adopted kite, not too difficult as she was regularly spotted at either Barlow Fell or Sherburn Towers Farm where she would perch on the pylons allowing easy recognition, and I even ID'd her over my garden on a couple of occasions which were cracking moments.
Local sightings obviously stopped after she paired up last year, indeed up until then I don't think anyone even knew what sex she was, but even though I was chuffed when she successfully became a parent, I have to add that even then I wished she had chosen somewhere a bit 'safer' to nest.
I wasn't aware the pair were back in the same area this year so just reading the above postings telling of the discovery of the corpses is a bit of a shocker to say the least.

OK, cause of death unknown but I doubt anyone will be surprised at the verdict, and there was me complaining when the neighbours put ant powder down....

RIP Ziggy and Ponteland Sunrise

Old Monday 26th July 2010, 22:35   #143
June Atkinson

Unhappy Thanks for your sympathy

Thanks so much for offering your sympathy and commiseration; it is upsetting.

These kites have not only brought a huge degree of pleasure to people - they do lift one's spirits - but the re-introduction project brought in £1.72 million to the local economy.
It was a million pound Project, with thousands of hours spent by dedicated Staff and Volunteers over five years. The Friends of Red Kites are determined to continue work in accepting the important legacy left to us.
June
FoRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Kite View Post
Terribly sad and depressing news. I feel the pain of the good people who work with these magnficient birds after a torrid spring over here in ireland when we lost more birds to this sort of wilfull ignorance

Last edited by June Atkinson : Monday 26th July 2010 at 22:40.

Old Sunday 15th August 2010, 20:06   #144
Mouldy
skywatcher, dragonhunter

Just back from a week in Dumfries and Galloway (a bit of a busmans holiday with all the red kites around up there) so got my first sighting of some of the 'class of 2010' today with two pristine juvs soaring in the sunshine over the village along with two very ragged looking adults.
Only one of the youngsters was sporting this years pink and blue tags, the other untagged.
The adults were both yellow tag birds from 2004, one of which kindly perched in the trees opposite the house briefly to be ID'd as no 6, the other I think 19 but not certain.

cheers
Old Tuesday 7th September 2010, 21:43   #145
June Atkinson

Red face Friends of Red Kites ~ Health Walks Programme

September -December 2010

Here is the new Health Walks programme for everyone to enjoy!

June

Press & Publicity
Friends of Red Kites
in the North East of England

www.friendsofredkites.org.uk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FoRKHWalks_sep-dec10.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	282605  

Old Wednesday 8th September 2010, 18:52   #146
Cartman

Hi June, I have family in Consett and on my last 3 visits I have seen a Red Kite in the same location on my drive home. It is in the fields opposite the school just outside of Byermoor near the campervan garage.

It happened 3 weeks in a row and I couldn't believe my luck, each time it appeared to be hunting but flying very low.

Saw one above the gardens opposite the shops in Rowlands Gill on Monday too
Old Wednesday 8th September 2010, 19:17   #147
Cartman

Quote:

Until the laws start to get tougher it will always happen, it is usually the junior gamekeeper who takes the rap but the landowner will make sure he is 'looked after' for this....allegedly of course

This winds me up like nothing else but at least the Police appear to be taking it a lot more seriously than ever before with dedicated wildlife Police in certain areas now.
Old Wednesday 8th September 2010, 21:26   #148
June Atkinson

Red face Kite sighting

Yes, they are in the Rowlands Gill area all the time. We have 24 chicks this year, so the youngsters are just beginning to explore their locality.

The Byermoor sighting is interesting, too. If you see it again, would you please report it using our sightings sheet on the Friends website/Webmail, then we can pass it on to the two monitoring Teams?
http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page3.htm

Scroll down until you come to Report sightings

Either Ken Sanderson or I deal with incoming mail, but it's a useful way of recording kites' whereabouts.

I come from Consett and know the Derwent Valley well!

June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Hi June, I have family in Consett and on my last 3 visits I have seen a Red Kite in the same location on my drive home. It is in the fields opposite the school just outside of Byermoor near the campervan garage.

It happened 3 weeks in a row and I couldn't believe my luck, each time it appeared to be hunting but flying very low.

Saw one above the gardens opposite the shops in Rowlands Gill on Monday too

Old Thursday 9th September 2010, 05:44   #149
Cartman

Quote:
Yes, they are in the Rowlands Gill area all the time. We have 24 chicks this year, so the youngsters are just beginning to explore their locality.

The Byermoor sighting is interesting, too. If you see it again, would you please report it using our sightings sheet on the Friends website/Webmail, then we can pass it on to the two monitoring Teams?
http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page3.htm

Scroll down until you come to Report sightings

Either Ken Sanderson or I deal with incoming mail, but it's a useful way of recording kites' whereabouts.

I come from Consett and know the Derwent Valley well!

June
no problem, it was weird in that it was in the same place 3 times in a row at about the same time 17:30ish
Old Thursday 9th September 2010, 13:32   #150
Harrierman

Red Kite Breeding seaon (NE)

June, i believe that no pairs raised young outside of the core area this year i do see birds around a number of localities im sure you are aware of these after speaking to Keith on a number of occasions i presume these all failed.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: