Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.80 average.
Old Thursday 9th September 2010, 19:57   #151
June Atkinson

Red face Report on Birdguides Webzine

This report just published might help to clarify the situation.

http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=2283

Despite the awful winter and prolonged snowy spell which was testing for the birds, the results are up on last year's.

Do please report any sightings via our site Webmail.

Thanks.
June
Press & publicity
Friends of Red Kites
in the North East of England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrierman View Post
June, i believe that no pairs raised young outside of the core area this year i do see birds around a number of localities im sure you are aware of these after speaking to Keith on a number of occasions i presume these all failed.

Last edited by June Atkinson : Thursday 9th September 2010 at 19:59.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th September 2010, 21:17   #152
June Atkinson

Unhappy Shocking news - Cumbrian red kite shot dead

Only free for five weeks and shot four times in the chest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-11264438

http://raptorpolitics.org.uk/?p=1763

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th September 2010, 22:12   #153
Mickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by June Atkinson View Post
Only free for five weeks and shot four times in the chest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-11264438

http://raptorpolitics.org.uk/?p=1763
I'm unable to put my true feelings into words, it's sickening. People are doing something to make our environment a more interesting and diverse place in which to live and a few morons try to spoil it for everybody. Another senseless killing and probably another criminal who goes without punishment.
Old Tuesday 14th September 2010, 16:56   #154
June Atkinson

Red face Red Kite Walk at Gibside

If you're free on Saturday, do join the Red Kite Walk, at Gibside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R_K Walk_Gibside_18Sept10.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	283704  

Old Wednesday 27th October 2010, 21:13   #155
June Atkinson

Red face Red Kite Safari

Another opportunity to join a Safari. Everyone is welcome!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Red Kite Safari 13 Nov 10.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	290533  

Last edited by June Atkinson : Wednesday 27th October 2010 at 21:17.

Old Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 14:47   #156
June Atkinson

Wing Tag Ziggy - poisoned

Statement by Friends of Red Kites

Ziggy, Wing Tag 40, was a Star! Brought as a Red Kite chick from the Chilterns in 2005, she was released by Northern Kites into the lower Derwent Valley, where she frequently brought pleasure to all who saw her.

In 2009 she found a mate, Jammy Dodger and together they raised a chick at the Highland Cattle Centre near Stocksfield. Visitor numbers soared as people flocked to see the family.

This spring, she again nested at the Centre, with another kite, Ponteland Sunrise. They had at least one chick which was thriving. In June, however, Ziggy was found dead near Hindley, Stocksfield. Her mate was also found dead, two miles away. Their chick perished, having no parent to feed it.

We have just received the results of the post mortem on Ziggy, confirming that she was poisoned as a result of ingesting the illegal substance, carbofuran. In February, two kites were found at Steel, near Hexham; their postmortems revealed the same cause of death.

The Friends of Red Kites, having been formed in 2009 at the end of the Northern Kites Project, are dismayed that, to date, four adult kites and one chick have perished this year in Northumberland. For the Friends, the conservation of our red kites is paramount ; they express their sorrow that schools, which adopted the individual kites, have now lost them in this barbaric way.

Ziggy was adopted by the pupils of Emmanuel College, Gateshead.

The Principal, Mr. Jonathan P. Winch, says,

"It was a privilege for us to adopt Ziggy, the red kite in 2005. The sterling conservation efforts of Friends of Red Kites have brought pleasure to many across the North East, and I'm proud that Emmanuel students are playing their part in this important project. We were naturally distressed to learn of Ziggy's untimely death, but this only strengthens our resolve to support the conservation of these magnificent birds."

Mrs. Linda Whiteley of the Highland Cattle Centre says,

We are very upset at the death of the breeding pair of Red Kites, as they had nested here for a number of years. My visitors, both young and old, are especially upset at the news of their deaths. I have a number of dedicated customers who use my tearoom to sit and watch, totally in awe of these magnificent birds and as a result of the deaths my visitor numbers have fallen. It's a particularly sad crime as they had chicks in the nest and they perished as well. The future of these birds needs to be secured and the person responsible for this crime held responsible.

In order to raise public awareness of the importance of conservation of our red kites, the Friends of Red Kites intend launching a campaign in Tynedale.

It will include presentations and attendance at events. Once again, Go North East has pledged its support and will provide a Red Kite bus to do a Rolling Launch in the near future. Action is needed to safeguard the future of these majestic birds, successfully re-introduced into the region after 170 years. We urge the people of Tynedale to help us in this work.

June Atkinson

Press & Publicity Officer
Friends of Red kites
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WT40-Ziggyx.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	294470  Click image for larger version

Name:	WT A5_Ponteland Sunrisex.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	294471  Click image for larger version

Name:	Kite-chick-HCCentre.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	294472  

Old Thursday 25th November 2010, 06:07   #157
Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by June Atkinson View Post
Statement by Friends of Red Kites

Ziggy, Wing Tag 40, was a Star! Brought as a Red Kite chick from the Chilterns in 2005, she was released by Northern Kites into the lower Derwent Valley, where she frequently brought pleasure to all who saw her.

In 2009 she found a mate, Jammy Dodger and together they raised a chick at the Highland Cattle Centre near Stocksfield. Visitor numbers soared as people flocked to see the family.

This spring, she again nested at the Centre, with another kite, Ponteland Sunrise. They had at least one chick which was thriving. In June, however, Ziggy was found dead near Hindley, Stocksfield. Her mate was also found dead, two miles away. Their chick perished, having no parent to feed it.

We have just received the results of the post mortem on Ziggy, confirming that she was poisoned as a result of ingesting the illegal substance, carbofuran. In February, two kites were found at Steel, near Hexham; their postmortems revealed the same cause of death.

The Friends of Red Kites, having been formed in 2009 at the end of the Northern Kites Project, are dismayed that, to date, four adult kites and one chick have perished this year in Northumberland. For the Friends, the conservation of our red kites is paramount ; they express their sorrow that schools, which adopted the individual kites, have now lost them in this barbaric way.

Ziggy was adopted by the pupils of Emmanuel College, Gateshead.

The Principal, Mr. Jonathan P. Winch, says,

"It was a privilege for us to adopt Ziggy, the red kite in 2005. The sterling conservation efforts of Friends of Red Kites have brought pleasure to many across the North East, and I'm proud that Emmanuel students are playing their part in this important project. We were naturally distressed to learn of Ziggy's untimely death, but this only strengthens our resolve to support the conservation of these magnificent birds."

Mrs. Linda Whiteley of the Highland Cattle Centre says,

We are very upset at the death of the breeding pair of Red Kites, as they had nested here for a number of years. My visitors, both young and old, are especially upset at the news of their deaths. I have a number of dedicated customers who use my tearoom to sit and watch, totally in awe of these magnificent birds and as a result of the deaths my visitor numbers have fallen. It's a particularly sad crime as they had chicks in the nest and they perished as well. The future of these birds needs to be secured and the person responsible for this crime held responsible.

In order to raise public awareness of the importance of conservation of our red kites, the Friends of Red Kites intend launching a campaign in Tynedale.

It will include presentations and attendance at events. Once again, Go North East has pledged its support and will provide a Red Kite bus to do a Rolling Launch in the near future. Action is needed to safeguard the future of these majestic birds, successfully re-introduced into the region after 170 years. We urge the people of Tynedale to help us in this work.

June Atkinson

Friends of Red kites
Hi June,

It really disgusts me that this is happening on my doorstep so to speak, we are used to hearing about in the highlands of Scotland and in Ireland but to think it is happening here appalls me.

I really hope the local Police are taking it seriously and making attempts to locate the poison and the people responsible.

John
Old Thursday 25th November 2010, 09:03   #158
June Atkinson

Unhappy

The really sad fact of this dreadful scenario is that one of the nesting pair, Wing Tag A5, Ponteland Sunrise, was born in 2007, in the Northumberland Tyne Valley just over the Border from Wylam.

He was the first red kite to be raised in Northumberland for around 170 years!

We are doing our utmost and hope that the communities in west Northumberland will rally to our plea for help and become our Eyes to the Skies!

If you have any ideas or comments, please PM to my BF mailbox or to my personal mailbox at june.atkinson@virgin.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Hi June,

It really disgusts me that this is happening on my doorstep so to speak, we are used to hearing about in the highlands of Scotland and in Ireland but to think it is happening here appalls me.

I really hope the local Police are taking it seriously and making attempts to locate the poison and the people responsible.

John

Last edited by June Atkinson : Thursday 25th November 2010 at 14:41.

Old Thursday 25th November 2010, 23:43   #159
Irish Kite

I feel your pain June for your beautifull birds that you got to know so well. It really is terrifying to think how vulnerable they are to the actions of just one idiot with a gun or poison. Same story here in Co.Wicklow. The sight of the 3 poisoned Kites this spring made me ill with rage
Old Friday 26th November 2010, 13:14   #160
John B (not the sloop)
Don't blame me I didn't vote for 'em

Shameful.... Our so called "greenest ever Government" needs to grow a pair and send an abundantly clear message to those who undertake or "encourage to undertake" illegal persecution of birds of prey. The Scottish Parliament has made some moves in the right direction but there's still a long way to go.
Old Friday 26th November 2010, 15:59   #161
Cartman

June I hope you don't mind but I have put the story of the poisoned birds on a Sunderland football forum I visit, everyone who has commented so far is really angry about it. The more people who hear about this the better in my opinion.

If you read it be aware there is bad language involved

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=543711
Old Wednesday 1st December 2010, 11:56   #162
June Atkinson

Red face Our red kites flying into poison black hole

Excellent coverage for us in Birdguides.com

http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=2432

Old Friday 3rd December 2010, 16:14   #163
KNewton

This latest piece of barbarism sickens me. The frustrating thing is that these crimes seem to be very difficult to prosecute. I would strongly support any legislation to restrict the ownership and use of shotguns, which might make life a bit more difficult for the game shooting people who are at the root of the problem.
Old Friday 31st December 2010, 11:02   #164
June Atkinson

Red face Health Walks Programme for 2011

The series of Monday health Walks has been extremely successful.
Here is the new programme, beginning on Monday, 3rd January 2011.

Why not come along and join us?

More information on our website at www.friendsofredkites.org.uk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Health Walks 2011a.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	301148  

Old Thursday 3rd February 2011, 21:19   #165
June Atkinson

Red face Roost Watch

Although this is primarily for members of Friends of Red kites, you are more than welcome to come along and join.
Attached is the poster giving details of our Winter Roost Watch.

This is a good opportunity to see red kites coming into their roosting area on the Gibside Estate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roost watch 5 Feb 2011poster.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	306783  

Old Wednesday 9th February 2011, 22:48   #166
June Atkinson

Red face Spectacular Roost Watch

At 3.30 p.m. on Saturday, 5th February, 42 members and friends met at Nine Arches Viaduct in the Derwent Country Park.
Several single birds were seen flying around but, as the skies darkened slightly and time passed, more red kites appeared.

We had superb views of 8 kites flying near the viaduct and 13 kites perched together on a pylon.Then towards 5.00 p.m.there were 17 birds flying together. What a privilege to see such a fantastic sight.

It was a wonderful social occasion, with lots of excited chatter and good humour. Eight boy scouts joined us as part of their Naturalist Badge. They had superb views of perched kites through our telescopes, helped to identify wing tags and asked many questions about the kites. The scouts and everyone there enjoyed a brilliant wildlife experience.

Thank you Red Kites for a textbook Roost!

Last edited by June Atkinson : Wednesday 9th February 2011 at 22:50.

Old Friday 18th February 2011, 18:17   #167
June Atkinson

Red face BirdForum photographers donate their work to Friends of Red kites

We are so grateful to several BirdForum members who have generously given us permission to use their images of red kites for our publicity purposes, at Events or in presentations to Groups throughout the region.

Here is a group of committee members holding up seven aluminium composite
Photoboards, produced for us by SignsSignsSigns of Swalwell. The boards are weatherproof and the quality is excellent.

From top left: Thanks go to Paul Ratcliffe, Ken Sanderson,Steve Ashton, Tom Melton.
From lower left: Thanks to Jamie MacArthur, Vicky King and Tony Belsham.

(Not all BF members perhaps)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image boards.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	309099  

Old Tuesday 8th March 2011, 17:18   #168
June Atkinson

Red face Tynedale Campaign Think Kite - Act Right

This Saturday, Friends of Red Kites in the North East of England, will launch their campaign. Terry Robson, Mayor of Hexham, will launch our campaign at 11a.m. at Wentworth Car Park.

Attached are two posters giving the details of the Launch and, perhaps more importantly, the reasons driving our initiative.

If you live within reach of Hexham, do please come along. Our dedicated Volunteers will be waiting to chat with you and answer any questions you may have.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FoRK Red Kite in danger A4 poster.pdf (928.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: pdf FoRK Think Right Poster.pdf (1.25 MB, 92 views)

Old Tuesday 8th March 2011, 18:06   #169
Irish Kite

Excellent posters June and I wish you the very best of luck with your worthy endevours
Old Thursday 10th March 2011, 20:19   #170
June Atkinson

Red face Our Campaign to keep red kites safe

News in today's Journal

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...61634-28309820/

June Atkinson
Press & Publicity
Friends of Red Kites

Old Friday 18th March 2011, 19:19   #171
June Atkinson

Exclamation Hexham Courant article

We're pleased that the Hexham Courant has supported our Campaign, launched least Saturday in Hexham.

As our kites seek to disperse and find new territories we hope that the folk of Tynedale will take our slogan to their hearts Think Kite - Act Right. If people become our Eyes to the Skies, the nesting birds will stand a better chance of breeding.

We lost four adult kites and at least one chick last year. They were found dead after feeding on carrion laced with carbofuran, an illegal pesticide. This pesticide, if found and touched by people, animals and especially children, can have devastating effects.

Please make a note of the help numbers given in the Courant article.
June Atkinson
www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HexCourantCamp180311.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	313500  

Old Wednesday 23rd March 2011, 10:38   #172
June Atkinson

Red face Launch of our Tynedale Campaign Think Kite - Act right

Here is a link to coverage of our Campaign Launch at Hexham

http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page10.htm

Go to HERE below the first image for link to pdf file (too large to post direct on BF)

June
Friends of Red Kites

Old Thursday 31st March 2011, 13:50   #173
June Atkinson

Red face Golden Glider having a snack

Here is Wing Tag B6, Golden Glider, enjoying a rabbit feast, high up in his favourite tree.

We hope that he is pairing up with Wing Tag 44, Morgan; there have been reports of nest-building.

Image courtesy of Pamela G.

June

www.friendsofredkites.org.uk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PamelaG_B6_30March11.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	315808  

Old Friday 29th April 2011, 17:57   #174
Mickr

This photograph of WT83 was taken yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WT83 on tree.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	321575  
Old Friday 29th April 2011, 18:41   #175
June Atkinson

Red face Wing Tag 83 Red Saint

Thanks for posting this lovely image. Mick.

From the records, we learn:

Wing Tag 83

Name: Red Saint

Adopted by:St. Agnes Day Nursery School, Gateshead

Male/Female: Male

Release Date:15th July 2006

Key Activities up to July 2009:

For the first few weeks after release, WT83 was detected feeding and foraging in the Lower Derwent Valley. However, his exploring took him away from Gateshead where he was last detected on 26th July 2006. In late September, WT83 was detected in the Holywell Dene area of North Tyneside where he has been seen since. However, in mid December 2006 WT83 returned to Gateshead where he has joined the kites in the communal winter roost.

In spring 2007, Red Saint seemed to pair off with WT89, though this did not last. He is still regularly recorded in the lower Derwent valley.

During the winter months Red Saint has regularly been recorded at the Gibside winter roost.

On 11th February 2008, Red Saint was seen with five other kites feeding in a field and perching on fence posts just north of the Barlow Burn.

In spring 2008, Red Saint set up a territory near Tanfield in County Durham with an as yet unidentifed female. They successfully raised one chick that fledged in July 2008.

On 9th October 2008, Red Saint was roosting near Sherburn Towers housing estate in Rowlands Gill, Gateshead.

On 23rd February 2009, Red Saint was recorded at Causey Gill in County Durham and seen there again in early March 2009.

Location as of July 2009ounty Durham

Red Saint is clearly still around and active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickr View Post
This photograph of WT83 was taken yesterday.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: