• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CS5 extended,student and teacher edition (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I have recently been asked by a teacher if the student and teacher edition of CS5 is 'watered' down or different in any way to the std full version.
Apart from the stipulations etc regarding its purchase in the first place, I would appreciate If anyone can answer this so I can pass the info on.

Thanks

I'm lucky enough to be able to purchase the education edition, and it is definitely not watered down.

I can understand why Adobe would try to encourage students and teachers to use their products but I find the difference in price between the Commercial and Student and Teacher editions to be ridiculous.

For example the price for Photoshop extended CS5 is:
Commercial £910, S & T £190.
For Adobe Design Standard:
Commercial £1114, S & T £234.
Admittedly those are sample prices for outright purchase rather than upgrades but I am quoting them purely for comparison.

As a partner in a small printing business, which is struggling badly under the present economic conditions, we cannot afford to upgrade to the latest version. It is rather galling when some of our customers come in with copy which has been produced using highly subsidised versions of Adobe products which are out of our reach. Quite frankly, it makes me hopping mad! :C

Rant over.

Ron

My wife recently purchased Lightroom 3 through the teacher and student scheme, excellent price, but Adobe customer service is the worst I have ever heard of.

Trying to get the registration number is an absolute nightmare and their overseas staff are unhelpful to the point of rudeness.

It is the full version, allows it to be used on two machines and not for commercial purposes, can only assume CS5 would come with the same conditions

Last edited:
While I'm not endorsing it, I can understand why there's such a thriving cracked/pirated software scene...

My sentiments exactly it is overpriced,whilst I can understand the cost of development the final price of the goods doesn`t weigh up.

Steve.

I think the idea is that - for a pro - the full cost of Photoshop will be a tax deductible business expense, so the initial high cost will be recoverable to a greater or lesser extent.

It is the full version, allows it to be used on two machines and not for commercial purposes, can only assume CS5 would come with the same conditions

I'm not sure that's quite right on commercial use. I found this on the Adobe website:
"Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?

Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use."

I'm not sure that's quite right on commercial use. I found this on the Adobe website:
"Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?

Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use."

You are correct. They changed the rules a couple of years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back