• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss warranty service -- how good? (1 Viewer)

The tabs/rings on my Victory Compact 8x20s look neat but insubstantial.

With full-sized bins I walk around with one hand resting on the bins. If I slip or stumble I know I can inadvertently apply a big sudden increase in pressure on the bins. If I did this to the Compacts I think I could expect some damage to the tabs.

Lee

Strange that one of the lugs failed and the second one looks bad.

If the neck strap with your Zeiss is a cheap, thin shoelace ribbon like the one that came with mine you would think that it would wear out first!

Bob

Bob

We sent the binos off to Zeiss today for (warranty?) repair.

What can we use to attach to the new bino tabs??? She was using 5/8" SS rings which are apparently way too "tough" for the tabs on the binos. She had only been using that ring system for a little over a year.

regards
JohnG

Here's a pic of the current 'no bueno' strap setup.

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 88
Bob

What can we use to attach to the new bino tabs??? She was using 5/8" SS rings which are apparently way too "tough" for the tabs on the binos. She had only been using that ring system for a little over a year.

regards
JohnG

Johnny:

Here is a picture of the strap that Swarovski has included with their binoculars
when new for some time. A nylon strap with a ring through the lugs.
No wear to the lugs.

I have used these, and I am not sure where you can buy them, or something similar, maybe someone knows of a source.
If you are a Swarovski customer, a phone call is all you need,
and they may send them out.

Also, another way to attach a ring to your binocular, is just use a small black nylon zip tie, some
harnesses, include them in the package.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSC_0215.jpg
    DSC_0215.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 127
Johnny:

Here is a picture of the strap that Swarovski has included with their binoculars
No wear to the lugs.

I have used these, and I am not sure where you can buy them, or something similar, maybe someone knows of a source.

Also, another way to attach a ring to your binocular, is just use a small black nylon zip tie, some

Jerry

Thanks for the suggestions Jerry

The tabs on the Zeiss are VERY small so I think I'm going to try tiny zip ties or some tough nylon lanyard loop.

Bob

regards
JohnG

John,

The shoelace like strap that came with my 8 x 20 Victory has miniature buckles on it exactly like the ones that usually come with the binocular straps supplied with most binoculars. My strap is threaded through the lugs and then through the buckles to the length I prefer. There is no metal on metal like on your ring system.

Jerry,

Regarding the Swarovski strap which you show; I have 3 Swarovskis which I purchased new. None of my straps came with the ring set up like yours have. All are cloth straps which thread through lugged ears on the barrels and then are fastened by metal studs afixed through slots cut in the straps. There are plastic protective covers on the strap that slide over the studs to keep them from working loose from the strap. Yours looks like a better set up. I'd like to try it.

Bob

Last edited:
We recently took our 20-60 Zeiss zoom eyepiece into the service department at Gentec International (the Canadian distributor) in northeast Toronto.

It came back in 6-7 weeks, returned to its parfocal focusing.

Helpful attitude; decent turnaround; no charge.

Mike

Last edited:
Hello,

See this thread for my praiseworthy Zeiss service experience. Sixteen days from dispatch of the glass until its return.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
I recently sent in a pair of Zeiss Oberkochen 8x30's to be serviced at the Virginia facility. At an angle there is a rainbow discoloration in the eyepiece lenses. Sent them in and got them back in about a week. They said they cleaned the lenses and adjusted the focus. The rainbow discoloration is still there. The view is fine looking through the them, but I'm still troubled by the coloration because I suspect it may be separation that is causing it. I'm disappointed that they didn't fix the problem. I offered to pay for whatever costs may be necessary to remedy the problem. They didn't charge me for the service, but they also didn't fix the issue. Not sure if I should sent them back or send them to an independent repair facility.

If there is separation in the lenses, can that be repaired with the original glass or does it need to be replaced altogether? Living in Massachusetts, can I send these off to the Canadian facility or do I have to use the American service center?

Sent my 8X20 Victory to Zeiss last month after brief exposure to water resulted in fogging and water inside the binocular. Zeiss replaced them........turn around time nine days including shipping both ways.

Seized eyecup on my 8x32T FLs recently. Late in the day e-mail to Zeiss UK [email protected]
elicited a quick response the following morning (sent @ 0751z!) and replacement eyecup set and rain guard received by post next day! Excellent!

Alan

Last edited:
Zeiss Service Not Matched Anywhere Else Today!

I posted this today on another thread about the Zeiss Oberkochen 8X30B Porros (mine is the smaller field version), but thought it appropriate to have it here also where folks interested in Zeiss service are more apt to come across it.

Well,.....i must say i feel like a bit of a :king: right now!

My old (mint) Zeiss Oberkochen 8X30B porros ARRIVED back to me today from the US service center in Virgina in MIGHTY fine shape. These are well past the time period i would have expected them to honor any warrentee,....BUT THEY DID!

These binoculars are 45-50 years old or a bit more perhaps, and Zeiss did the following work without charge,.....even the return shipping. Simply outstanding service in this day and age!

The packing invoice detailed:

CLEANED FOGGED OPTICS
LUBRICATED FOCUS
RESET FOCUS AND ALIGNMENT

Also, i found it interesting that the packing invoice stated the following:

Ordering party
Carl Zeiss Sports Optics GmbH
Attention-Klaus Felgenhauer
Postfach 17 60
D-35527 WETZLAR

So it appears the Virginia, USA repair facility got the "OK" for warrantee service from Germany on these ancient porros. That's impressive,....and certainly does more good than dollars spent on general advertizing in my book. Considering i made it quite clear i was not the original owner,.....this just blows me away!

Additionally, they just recieved them into their service center 8 days ago according to my tracking. I hadn't heard anything until now, but was going to wait another week before checking.

Considering return shipping of maybe 2 days via UPS (Virginia to upstate New York), that means turn around time for service was just 4-5 days,.....and probably less (in working days) because there was a weekend involved.

I'll just add one additional kudo here.

The Zeiss porros arrived while i was opening a couple of USPS packages containing a new Zeiss neck strap for my also ancient (1960 or so?) Zeiss 8X30B Dialyt binos, as well as a set of new eyecups. These were sent without charge also! (I just paid $75, for another alpha company's strap!)

The eyecups recieved were for the Zeiss 8X30B/GA binos, and besides having male threading on them (i need female threading on the eyecups), they were way too small.

I took some accurate measurements of my old eyecups (dried out rubber is cracking), and the ID of the threads measured 1.224" , and having a central hole ID of .986".

I called the service center in Virginia today and the lady i talked to found the right eyecups based on my measurements. They will go out today or tomorrow.

I don't know about you,....but i cannot adequately express how much respect and admiration i feel toward Zeiss right now.

"ZEISS IS NICE",......No Lie! :t:

cheers,
Joe T

Last edited:
Johnny:

No wear to the lugs.

Jerry

Here you are Sir.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocula...x-binocular-harness-strap-connectors-set-of-2

I am confident that EagleOptics can advise whenever they are in stock again.

Regards.

Hello,
Maybe you guys can make some suggestions for me. I have a pair of Zeiss Conquest 10 x 50s that I have used since 2011 for field research. The first thing that happened with them is that they immediately fogged up. I sent them in for repair and didn't see them again for a full year. I guess they just completely lost them because they sent me a new pair. They still had issues with fogging up, but I didn't want to risk sending them in again because I do field work year round. The birds that I study are small passerines and I need good binoculars to see band colors. Anyway, this spring the central focusing mechanism broke. Then I had to suck it up and send them in. I got back the following quote which blew me away. I don't know what to do. I can't afford the repair and I can't afford a new pair of good binoculars and I can't afford not to have good binoculars.... The cost of the repair is just $300 short of what I paid for them in the first place. Certainly, they haven't had an easy life since they are a TOOL for accomplishing work in some pretty difficult conditions, but I don't remember ever having fallen with them except perhaps when they were buried deep in my pack. Regardless, I don't know what to do. I see where people have had their binoculars fall off the roof of their cars and ran over and they still get them covered by warranty. When I contacted these folks in Kentucky about this, they essentially told me "tough crap"... not our problem, give us your credit card number ...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Message from Zeiss below.

After completing inspection on your 10X50B T* CONQUEST W/P, Serial # 297627, we have determined the necessary repair(s) will not be available at our Hebron, Kentucky repair center. We will have to forward your case to our headquarters in Germany to complete the repair(s), which will not be fully covered by your warranty.

We will be happy to service your product and have estimated that the following costs will be associated with the repair:

$632.48

Both objectives are bent due to impact damage, The objective lenses have small scratches, the ocular lenses are covered in small scratches, which are causing a decrease in clarity and should be replaced, the binoculars are out of alignment, needs nitrogen fill, eye cups need to be replaced, needs zero reset, needs focus and diopter reworked, hinge needs to be tightened. The cost for repair is $632.48.

I feel for anyone faced with big bills but personally I wouldn't regard impact damage (and impacts may have caused the alignment, loss of nitrogen, and hinge problems) and scratched lenses as suitable for a warranty claim. Usually with Zeiss repairs, the owner can choose which items of work they wish to be done so maybe the cost can be reduced by doing this.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back