• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beware of a certain feeder (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
From my listservs:

I just purchased a Stokes Select Impatiens Hummingbird Feeder with a single hole in each flower. I put it out at night and the next morning, a hummingbird was dying as his tongue was caught down inside the feeder. I believe it was caught in a slot of the yellow flower, which is down inside. I had to take the feeder apart to free him but he died shortly after. I contacted Hiatt Manufacturing who asked if I had the single hole or the multi hole flower. Apparently, they have made some design changes. I don't know which version is the newer model. She is checking with the design team on the feeder but I want people to know not to use the version I have, which is the single hole flower.

Wow. I would hate for that to happen to my hummers (well not mine, but you know what I mean).

Thanks for the info KC. I'll pass it on to friends. Sorry to hear the manufacturer would sell something like that. A good reason to stick to Perky Pet feeders but I imagine there's been trouble with some of those too.

Vicki

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back