• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungus or avian pox (1 Viewer)

evehimme

I live in Southern California, and this hummer showed up at my feeder about three weeks ago. He has a black bulbous growth on the tip of his beak. My only camera is a phone, and the best shots I could get were these.

He is feeding regularly, flying around the neighborhood, so I don't think his health is declining...

I clean my feeder regularly, use only sugar water, and have a lot of flowers around my patio that they like to sip from. He showed up with the bulb.

Anyone know what this is? Can this one infect the others through my feeder??? Thank you.

Bird fungus.jpg

bird 2.jpg

bird 3.jpg

Bird 4.jpg

Hello eve', welcome to BF.
My understanding is both the avian pox virus and fungal infections can cause lesions or abnormalities on the bills. Most times the virus causing cauliflower like lesions closer to the base of the bill, but yours does resemble it. An article on hummingbird afflictions can be seen >here<

Avian pox can be contagious via feeders etc., but many sources indicate mosquitoes are the most common vector.
Nothing more can be done, than what you are already doing by keeping the feeder clean and the nectar fresh.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back