• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did I miss? Terra ED??? (1 Viewer)

Unfortunately, for the time being, yes. The 7x sales are a mere fraction of the 8x, and you have R&D costs to develop and higher manufacturing costs to build small volumes. Even in the old days when I was working for Swar....., 7x sales were a mere fraction of the original 8x30 SLC. I personally love small 7x binos, just have a difficult time selling them. So, for now, we don't have one on the drawing board. Sorry.

8x is certainly a more universal format than 7x. On the other hand, there is far more competition on the market of 8x binoculars.

Yet, as I have mentioned elsewhere, there also exists a general deficiency in terms of marketing: Everybody, even the casual binocular user, understands the meaning of magnification - after all, this is precisely the reason why somebody would buy a binocular: To view things magnified.

Side effects of magnification, however, are less easily explained:

Handshake - OK, no problem in the store, but after several hours in the field and partial exhaustion, it turns visible.

Field of view, depth of field - the three dimensional volume of objects that are imaged clearly without the need to refocus increases dramatically at lower powers.

Finally, larger exit pupils offer improved low-light performance and ease of view.

If every potential buyer was aware of these facts (and I am not talking about members of this forum, who got a far higher understanding of binocular technology than the average user), then probably the 7x format would sell far better.

My suggestion therefore: Binocular manufacturers should not only sell, but also inform about their products - and here I refer to something else than just buzzwords for new coating technologies. Perhaps, every binocular should come along with a small, 20 page booklet that informs the buyer about most basic technical facts and thus improves his understanding of binocular technology and binocular observation. A manufacturer, who adopts the information, if not training, of his customers as one of his duties, should have the chance to sell products that positively differ from his competition.

Cheers,
Holger

8x is certainly a more universal format than 7x. On the other hand, there is far more competition on the market of 8x binoculars.

Yet, as I have mentioned elsewhere, there also exists a general deficiency in terms of marketing: Everybody, even the casual binocular user, understands the meaning of magnification - after all, this is precisely the reason why somebody would buy a binocular: To view things magnified.

Side effects of magnification, however, are less easily explained:

Handshake - OK, no problem in the store, but after several hours in the field and partial exhaustion, it turns visible.

Field of view, depth of field - the three dimensional volume of objects that are imaged clearly without the need to refocus increases dramatically at lower powers.

Finally, larger exit pupils offer improved low-light performance and ease of view.

If every potential buyer was aware of these facts (and I am not talking about members of this forum, who got a far higher understanding of binocular technology than the average user), then probably the 7x format would sell far better.

My suggestion therefore: Binocular manufacturers should not only sell, but also inform about their products - and here I refer to something else than just buzzwords for new coating technologies. Perhaps, every binocular should come along with a small, 20 page booklet that informs the buyer about most basic technical facts and thus improves his understanding of binocular technology and binocular observation. A manufacturer, who adopts the information, if not training, of his customers as one of his duties, should have the chance to sell products that positively differ from his competition.

Cheers,
Holger

Very nicely put.

Mike

You are being generous with your time here, so I'll take advantage of that and observe that one product roll-out time-line that changed, and changed, and changed etc was the launch and availability of HT.

You have been quoted elsewhere that you want to eliminate this kind of on-off launch and that is to be applauded.

Can you say what happened and can you say it won't happen again?

Lee

a fair tough question. The HT clearly didn't go as planned. Kind of a perfect storm with Executive, Production, Product Management and Sales contributing to the launch or lack thereof.

Zeiss is in the middle of exciting times right now. Big investments, lot's of new products, big growth, lots of enthusiasm internally. All executive leadership in Zeiss is new in the last 4 years, including myself, the CEO, VP production Operations, Product Management, Sales Management, Director of engineering... Everyone. The HT was the first cutting edge new product we've introduced in years, a new industry benchmark boasting 95% light transmission and let's say... "everyone was slightly over zealous". All markets wanted it at the same time.

Bottom line is that we pushed production faster/harder than we should have. Production takes time, kind of like baking a cake, and when a part is out of spec, or an outsourced screw come in the wrong size, demand overtakes production and we come late to market. You simply can't rush it. We have some GIANT 2014 items coming and we are aware of what went wrong last time. "It won't happen again"... can't say. Do it better, you bet! We have many of new processes in place to avoid this from happening again.

Hope this helps.

a fair tough question. The HT clearly didn't go as planned. Kind of a perfect storm with Executive, Production, Product Management and Sales contributing to the launch or lack thereof.

Zeiss is in the middle of exciting times right now. Big investments, lot's of new products, big growth, lots of enthusiasm internally. All executive leadership in Zeiss is new in the last 4 years, including myself, the CEO, VP production Operations, Product Management, Sales Management, Director of engineering... Everyone. The HT was the first cutting edge new product we've introduced in years, a new industry benchmark boasting 95% light transmission and let's say... "everyone was slightly over zealous". All markets wanted it at the same time.

Bottom line is that we pushed production faster/harder than we should have. Production takes time, kind of like baking a cake, and when a part is out of spec, or an outsourced screw come in the wrong size, demand overtakes production and we come late to market. You simply can't rush it. We have some GIANT 2014 items coming and we are aware of what went wrong last time. "It won't happen again"... can't say. Do it better, you bet! We have many of new processes in place to avoid this from happening again.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Yes this does help. A candid statement like this helps a lot. At the risk of sounding like an ungracious wazack (don't bother looking it up, but its not good :)) I will add that if this launch hiccup happens again, such a statement would be even more effective issued a lot earlier.

As most posters here realise, I am a big Zeiss fan and Zeiss bins have been my companions most of my nature-observing life, and I am only being critical here because of my love for the brand.

The delay in availability didn't stop me from buying an 8x42 HT but I am sure Zeiss lost some customers who just didn't feel like waiting.

Thanks again for being open and frank about this issue.

Lee

Hope this helps.

Mike,

Great to hear things straight from the horse's mouth! I'm a big fan of your products [owning many models] and must congratulate you on the HT - a real gem of an optic, best I have ever used!

It would be great to see Zeiss venture back into the low-volume market of niche binoculars again - like a 12x56 or 15x56 HT - or even better, a new version of the splendid 20x60S, this time smaller, lighter, with modern HT/FL glass.[maybe even cheaper too...;)]

Anyway, great to have you join us here. Would it be possible to see a cut-away version of the HT, if one exists? We have speculated as to the eye-piece design but have yet to see anything of substance.

So I spend 1k for a set of binos and I get a $15 dollar bird stamp, yet people pay that for a rifle scope and get a 100.00 back. I think your marketing guy's needs some new ideas or need to be fired. Good thing the marketing guys aren't involved in product development!!

So I spend 1k for a set of binos and I get a $15 dollar bird stamp, yet people pay that for a rifle scope and get a 100.00 back. I think your marketing guy's needs some new ideas or need to be fired. Good thing the marketing guys aren't involved in product development!!

A fair statement but please note, promotions are not based on the product. Promotions are based on what product needs to be promoted which is driven by market acceptance. The Conquest HD's were not on the promotional list since production can't build enough and I can't keep the dealers in stock. It doesn't make sense to promote what you can't supply. The $100 rebate on a riflescope is based on production capacity and availability to support a dealers order when the product sells through. We are genuinely not segmenting the market, we are driving sales to catigorical product that we can supply.

Hope this helps.

Mike,

It is great that you came in and provided your input. On the Conquest HD. I liked the brightness over Swaro CL companion. If you review some of my posts, I had to hold the bin further out kind if past wear era glasses jut out had I been wearing glasses. I'll be buying the CL at Buckmater's in Montgomery this weend or at Bass Pro in Atlanta. I would give Conquest one more try. Maybe it was just that one bin at Cabelas that had this focus issue? B :)

SO did anyone ever try out these Zeiss Terra bins? Thoughts, feelings?

Hi, Julia,

I see you are new here, are a PhD Student in the "Bird field," and are in the market for a new binocular to use in your work. Don't forget to consider the 10x42 version for use in your sea bird work.

Yes, lots of people have tried the Terra EDs and lots of people are using them! Check through this Zeiss forum and read through the threads on the Terra ED for their thoughts. It has been rather thoroughly discussed, if I do say so myself!;)

You can start with this one in June of last year:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=258748

Hope this helps.

Bob

PS: The best thing to do is scan through these comments and pick out the ones that strike your eye for more information.

You can also go to Eagle Optics website and go through the 30 or so reviews of the 8x42 and 7 of the 10x42 from mostly pleased users and also from some not so pleased.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-terra-ed-8x42-binocular?tab=customer_reviews#tabs

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back