• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Hyperion zoom. (1 Viewer)

medinabrit

Just purchased a new Baader hyperion zoom.
I find that it works fine on my 100 & 80 Pentax PF scopes .
From 50 ft to a mile away .No problems .
Maybe they have changed it.
Brian

Just purchased a new Baader hyperion zoom.
I find that it works fine on my 100 & 80 Pentax PF scopes .
From 50 ft to a mile away .No problems .
Maybe they have changed it.
Brian
Congrats! I got one of those a few months ago, for a Zeiss Diascope. I really like the BH zoom. What do you think of it? Did you need to buy an adapter to use it with the Pentax, or does it screw straight in?

hyperion zoom

The Pentax PFs all use regular 1.25 EPs so the Baader zoom fits right on.
From the little i used it today .Very good
I have 2 of the Big bean can size Pentax Zooms but this is more compact.

Wow! This is great news. If the Baader zoom can reach focus even at infinity I will be getting one for my PF80 soon and get rid of the SMC zoom that came with it

Wow! This is great news. If the Baader zoom can reach focus even at infinity I will be getting one for my PF80 soon and get rid of the SMC zoom that came with it
Word of warning: the BH zoom is not waterproof, so needs protection. I've used it in the rain with no ill-effects, but I'm not sure how much it would stand up to use in a very humid climate.

When you take the rubber eye cap of there is a thread .
Its aprox 53 or54 .
Cant measure it exact as i only have inch tape measure.

Just tried the Baader Hyperion zoom on the PF 65.
It focused on TV mast 2 miles away & bird feeder 12 feet away.
Maybe they have changed something on the new ones.
Brian.

Brian any chance you could say a little more as to how the zoom works on the PF 65? I have the original version I of the Pentax. I have gotten the newer Vixen (clickstop,twist up EP) still very interested in the Baader though!!! Thanks, Bryce...

Im afraid i have a big apology to make .
When i tried the Baader in the 65pf I forgot that i had left a Burgess binoviewer 1.9 corrector in the Baader zoom.
This is used to allow a Burgess binoviewer to come to focus in some astro scopes .
It is available from burgess optical for i believe $10.
It is about 5/8ths long .
This does enable the Baader to work in the 65PF.
But increases the mag a bit.
Definately worth it though.
My apologies again .
Brian.

Very interesting, Brian.

Can you estimate how much the magnification is increased by? Is it very noticeable (apparently not as you forgot you left it on ;) ).

Any other problems with the image ... I suspect not as astro folks are a picky bunch and would more easily spot some aberrations faster than birders. But birders will often find color issues quicker.

Other's can find info on the corrector at and it is only $10!

http://www.burgessoptical.com/Accessories/OCA1_9.html
http://www.burgessoptical.com/Availability.html#Accessories

I just bought the Baader Hyperion 17mm. It works beautifully with the PF-65EDII, but it will not focus to infinity if you install the fine tuning rings they offer for it. Without the rings, it does focus to infinity.

Mark

Burgess 1.9x Corrector On A Pentax 65mm EDAII ?

Im afraid i have a big apology to make .
When i tried the Baader in the 65pf I forgot that i had left a Burgess binoviewer 1.9 corrector in the Baader zoom.
This is used to allow a Burgess binoviewer to come to focus in some astro scopes .
It is available from burgess optical for i believe $10.
It is about 5/8ths long .
This does enable the Baader to work in the 65PF.
But increases the mag a bit.
Definately worth it though.
My apologies again .
Brian.

Has anyone else tried this 1.9 corrector on the Pentax 65 EDAII, if so what eyepiece & how well did it work ? ...Thanks gwen

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back