• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (2 Viewers)

Really good morning with at least 20 Buzzards, 10 Ravens and several Swallows overhead, along with an awesome new garden species:
71. Hen Harrier
A ringtail headed over mid-afternoon.

Really good morning with at least 20 Buzzards, 10 Ravens and several Swallows overhead, along with an awesome new garden species:
71. Hen Harrier
A ringtail headed over mid-afternoon.

Steady on Gregor, 'awesome' is a word you should save up for that really 'mega' garden bird;). Still waiting for your harrier to reach me though....
Although it's not Cape May, or Spurn Point, my garden does sometimes see migration overhead, this morning's squally weather is keeping migrating finches low, so I did a 'vis-mig' session from 8 till 10 before the call of the kettle and the toaster became too strong to resist. I had around 600 Chaffinches and 70 Hawfinches, plus a few other species in small numbers. Biggest surprise, was only my second-ever Peregrine, a smart male scooted past!

84 Peregrine Falcon

Ah well, vive la difference and all that - I've seen them at Studley Royal near Ripon, but I suppose that's still a bit of a distance from you as the Hawfinch flies!

That's 68 Hawfinches more than I have ever seen anywhere! And I can give you couple Tree Sparrows if you send that Peregrine here... Actually - I might promise to give you my left little finger for that Peregrine. :t:

70 Hawfinches!!! that shouldn't be allowed, a positively excessive amount. I once had four perched on trees opposite during October...but that was c25 years ago, haven't had any this year, although I live in hope.

I should be so lucky, lucky lucky lucky

From our garden we can look south to the mountain of Sous-Dine (2001metres), and north to Lac Léman, but I’d need something like the Hubble telescope to see the birds on the lake, and although the mountain is much nearer, Alpine Chough are about the smallest species up there that I can identify from the house. The golfer Gary Player famously once said “I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have”. Well I’ve been putting the hours recently, most mornings doing two or three hours ‘vis-migging’, sitting on the house steps to count the finches and pipits on their autumn migration, and I’ve been ‘lucky’ enough to see Peregrine, Marsh Harrier and Hobby too, while the local Nutcrackers continue their return trips from the forest to the local hedgerows and back for their winter hazelnut provisioning. But this morning I got really lucky, a Garden tick to make even Jos jealous (I hope;)). Even though the snow hasn’t arrived (it’s unusually warm in fact), this unexpected garden mega had apparently decided to go on a recce ready for its descent from the mountain for the winter. So, come on garden listers, what do you think I saw?

Even though the snow hasn’t arrived (it’s unusually warm in fact), this unexpected garden mega had apparently decided to go on a recce ready for its descent from the mountain for the winter. So, come on garden listers, what do you think I saw?

Lammergeier?

A mountain species that descends should exclude Lammergeier, but neatly matches a bird that would be a mega by any account ...Wallcreeper :)

Well done Jos and Larry, a bottle of French wine for each of you, should you pass this way!
I had Citril Finch last late autumn, feeding on seed I'd put down, Lammergeier should be possible (a couple who bird up here occasionally have seen one), but I'd have to scan the mountains for hours I imagine, they don't breed too far away, so I'm hoping that, one day....
I swear I'd only had a mug of tea and nothing stronger when I saw that characteristic floppy flight as the bird made its way back towards the mountain, I'll have a glass of something stronger tonight perhaps;). so:

85 Wallcreeper , the 3rd garden tick of 2014, retirement has its benefits after all:t:

I'll let you all know when the wintering bird comes back to the château in Annecy town centre (only 40 minutes from Geneva airport, Easyjet flights from various UK airports (sorry Larry!) in the ski season (other airlines are available....)).
I'll get the spare bedroom ready for visitors B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back