• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss 56mm Conquest HD's (1 Viewer)

56mm HT is what I'm waiting for. That, and the rumored high end "birder friendly" models, whatever they may be.

I know you love big apertures, but I would love to see Zeiss do something different - like some wide angle HT's, in 7x36 and 9x36 format, maybe about 25 ounces.

Of course, my current 8x42 is completely adequate at the moment.....;)

What do you base this on? Zeiss have not said either way.

Just a rumor, but the source seemed pretty credible and very certain,

and Zeiss is not Minox as someone pointed out in the 50mm HT tread,
56mm seems the most likely way to go,

but 56 mm is too big for me,
so I really hope that Henrys "birder friendly" rumor might
be something like an 9x45 with 20mm eye relief, max weight 830 g
with butter smooth focus like the HT:s

its pretty logical to wait with the release of the HT:s since the stock of 56mm FL:s needs to be cleared first,

And also for marketing reasons, one novelty at a time,

Thank you Holger,

It is certainly very interesting to hear about these new binoculars being developed and released soon.

For more than a year now I have had the pleasure of owning a 10x50 Nobilem. I use it for astronomy mostly and am very happy with it. I chose it partly based on your review. I was concerned about the size of the eyecups on the Fujinon. I had issues with a Kunming BA8 10x50 because of the large eyecups being uncomfortable for prolonged use. I like the centre focus of the Nobilem. Although it is not essential it does make the binocular more versatile. I have no regrets about the Nobilem but of course it is always nice to dream of a better binocular. |=)|

Andy J.

They have a saying in the Old County: Auf der anderen Seite ist das Gras viel grüner:

Which is probably why the chicken crossed the road.

They have another saying: Es ist schwer, ein gutes Fernglas porrro schlagen.

Although I haven't tried the "lastest and greatest" $2K+ roofs, I have yet to try a roof that beats the premium porros that I have or used to have. Then again, when there's a movie out and they have the 3-D version, I prefer the 3-D version. Take the 3-D out of the view and it's just a "still life" painting.

I tried the Fuji 10x50 FMT. The eyecups are huge but I was surprised that I was able to fit my oversized proboscis between them, however, I was looking long, not that you can look very close with the Fuji.

I have more problems with my 8x32 SE"s eyecups because to keep the view to a circle (and minimize image blackouts), I have to close the iPD tighter at closer distances, and the eyecups pinch my nose.

I had a CZJ 8x50 Octarem so I have an idea of how the Nobliem eyecups would feel on my face, which is to say, comfortable. Unlike the SE, which was designed by Japanese with Asian faces in mind, the Nobilem was made for Euroopean faces so Doctor inset the eyecups from the edge of the EP housing.

Some people have pet peeves with binoculars, for me, it's the eyecups,which rarely fit my face comfortably. "Face fit" is high up on my list of priorities, and the Doctor 10x50 Nobilem is high up on my Bino Wish List. Even though I prefer midsized porros in 8x, when it comes to 10x, I like to jump up to 10x50 since they are more versatile for birding, nature observation and stargazing,

Thanks for your comments about the Nobilems, we rarely hear much about them on BF because of their large formats.

Brock

Last edited:
You are welcome Brock.

The 10x50 Nobilem is an excellent traditional style binocular and the 15x60 too. It would be nice to see a wide angle 8x40 Nobilem under 1000 grams (my better binocular dream!).

Andy J

You are welcome Brock.

The 10x50 Nobilem is an excellent traditional style binocular and the 15x60 too. It would be nice to see a wide angle 8x40 Nobilem under 1000 grams (my better binocular dream!).

Andy J

I'd even go for an 8x50 with 7.4* FOV like the Octarem. Even though it weighed around 40 oz., the weight was so well distributed and the ergonomics were so well done that it felt much lighter (the flat bottom prism housings provided a nice platform for my thumbs - even Alexis's thumbs would fit :).

The only ergonomic issue is that users with smaller hands might have trouble reaching the focuser due to the wide prism housing and low-profile focuser.

The Octarem did have a similar or the same problem as the 7x50 Nobilem, flaring around the exit pupils. Under some lighting conditions, this would cause flicking in the EPs. The 8x56 model got an excellent review on allbinos, but the FOV is too small (6.3*), and 56mm is too big, only real He-Man birders like Henry and Ron can handle them. :)

<B>

be something like an 9x45 with 20mm eye relief, max weight 830 g

VB

20 mm ER implies quite large eye lenses and so extra cost. Perhaps 18mm might be more reasonable providing (I said providing) the eyecups are designed and manufactured with great care.

Max 830g in a 45mm, its a nice idea VB but HT 42mm already exceed this :-C

Lee

VB

20 mm ER implies quite large eye lenses and so extra cost. Perhaps 18mm might be more reasonable providing (I said providing) the eyecups are designed and manufactured with great care.

Max 830g in a 45mm, its a nice idea VB but HT 42mm already exceed this :-C

Lee

I think it's doable,
Steiner Discovery 8x44 is 835 g (10x44 854 g) and have 20 mm eye relief (and quite wide oculars)

The 8x42 HT is 785 g and 10x42 HT is 795g, at least according to zeiss specs.

perhaps using SP-prisms could make it even shorter and lighter?
90+% transmission would be good enough for me,

Last edited:
Now I hear indirectly, from the same source as before, that there are no "birder friendly" Zeiss models coming this year. So, either that was always untrue or plans have changed or someone at Zeiss is yanking our chains now. No more rumors for me!

Marketing choices aside, I'm not sure how a "birder-friendly" binocular would be different from the existing lineup. If I had to guess, I'd say their next move would either be a 56mm HT or an 8x32 FL replacement.

The 8x42 HT is 785 g and 10x42 HT is 795g, at least according to zeiss specs.

perhaps using SP-prisms could make it even shorter and lighter?

VB

Yep the HT weights on the website are as you say: BUT I have weighed three 8x42 HTs and they came out 838, 838 and 840 g. I have informed Zeiss about it several times and going back many months....

SPs might do as you say but that is not the Zeiss way with full or XL bins. AKs are a Zeiss signature and I don't see that changing.

Lee

VB

Yep the HT weights on the website are as you say: BUT I have weighed three 8x42 HTs and they came out 838, 838 and 840 g. I have informed Zeiss about it several times and going back many months....

SPs might do as you say but that is not the Zeiss way with full or XL bins. AKs are a Zeiss signature and I don't see that changing.

Lee

did you calibrate your scale?
50 g is a 6% error, a bit strange if Zeiss didn't get it right,

now there are specs on the 56mm on the german web as well,
field of view in meters, (yards and feet just confuses me..)
.-)

http://sportsoptics.zeiss.com/natur...nglaeser/conquest-hd-fernglaeser.html#modelle

Wish Mr Jensen would let us know if the rumored 56mm HTs were a rumor or future reality. :news:
How about it, Mike ? |=)|

I've recently learned that the competition watches every pen stroke of mine on BF. Sorry but I simply can not validate or invalidate the rumor. We have a lot of great stuff coming this year so I hope whatever we bring to market (some of which will launch in 6 weeks) will be liked by all of you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back