• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

“Countability” of Bar-headed Geese in the Netherlands (1 Viewer)

Byronix

Hi all,

Not sure which forum this question fits in, but do European authorities consider Bar-headed Geese “countable” for the Netherlands (i.e. a stable, breeding population) or are they treated as escaped exotics? Trying to decide whether to include the one I saw today in my life list. Thanks!

The Dutch Birding Association does not include these as countable species.

If you -like the AOU and most other Europeans including the British- have lower standards (by which I mean: you do count established exotics), the table on page 12 of the following report (in Dutch, with English captions) may give you an idea which exotics have populations in the Netherlands (however small):
https://www.buwa.nl/fileadmin/buwa_...en-vestiging_en_uitbreiding-19apr2013-web.pdf
The only species not in that list is Vinous-throated Parrotbill breeding near Weert in the southeast (it is dealt with later in the report).

What about Black Swans? Which countries have established feral populations of them?
New Zealand!
Look at page 12 in the report I linked to: a stable 60-70 pairs in the Netherlands. The Krammer-Volkerak lake is the place to be.

@Joost: Luckily I have now seen Pheasant in Korea, Kazakhstan and China. Not that hard!

New Zealand!
Look at page 12 in the report I linked to: a stable 60-70 pairs in the Netherlands. The Krammer-Volkerak lake is the place to be.

Thanks! I think NZ count them as 'reintroduced' as they were apparently native before Maori colonisation left them extinct (probably a subspecies, rather than identical).

Seem to recollect there's some other European countries with feral Black Swans, somewhere one wouldn't have expected - does Serbia ring a bell??

The Dutch Birding Association does not include these as countable species.

If you -like the AOU and most other Europeans including the British- have lower standards (by which I mean: you do count established exotics), .

Lower standards than who?

A

Thanks! I think NZ count them as 'reintroduced' as they were apparently native before Maori colonisation left them extinct (probably a subspecies, rather than identical).

Seem to recollect there's some other European countries with feral Black Swans, somewhere one wouldn't have expected - does Serbia ring a bell??

Black Swans in the UK too but not counted

A

What about Black Swans? Which countries have established feral populations of them?

In Gemany Black Swan is countable since it's date of establishment (2004)

Other naturalised (therefore countable) species include:
Swan Goose f. domestica (estab. 2016, only population around Heidelberg)
Bar-headed Goose (estab. 2005)
Snow goose (estab. 2011, population around Neuss)
Canada Goose
Egyptian Goose
Ruddy Shellduck
Mandarin Duck
Pheasant
Feral Pigeon
Alexandrine Parakeet
(estab. 2012)
Rose-ringed Parakeet
Yellow-headed Amazon
(estab. 2010)

Ural Owl too is countable as a sucessfully reintroduced species

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back