• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do ducks like to eat? What should they eat? (1 Viewer)

katastrofa

Supporter
Norway
I know that bread is not good for ducks and other waterfowl. In the summer my local ducks liked sunflower seeds. Now it's cold and snowy, but when today we wanted to feed some coots and ducks with sunflower seeds, they weren't very enthusiastic about it. Why is it so? Do they prefer something else, or are they just conserving energy?

I began to suspect that people feeding them bread got them hooked up on bread, and now they prefer junk food :(

I began to suspect that people feeding them bread got them hooked up on bread, and now they prefer junk food :(

Almost certainly, yes :-C

It is sweet, filling, addictive, and rots their teeth and gives them fatty degeneration of the liver.

Same effect as on people.

I know that bread is not good for ducks and other waterfowl. (

Pardon my bluntness but I don’t think you “know” that bread is bad for birds but simply “think” it. Unless, that is, you can point to peer-reviewed science in support of your opinion.

Pardon my bluntness but I don’t think you “know” that bread is bad for birds but simply “think” it. Unless, that is, you can point to peer-reviewed science in support of your opinion.

Good point!
Afaik there is some evidence that feeding birds in winter reduces fitness, but I've not seen any evidence that indicts bread. There is of course argument that the ducks don't get their adequate complement of worms and invertebrates when they chow down on handouts, but they seem to do pretty well despite that from what I can see.

If it is true, chopped raw vegetables, grain, bird seed and poultry feed seem to be alternatives.
https://www.thespruce.com/what-to-feed-ducks-386584
(This website, too has some suspicious statements, e.g. that bread has no nutritional value alternating with that bread causes excessive breeding. It looks contradictory).

However, it could be one of these urban tales which knock around for years, because nobody cares to verify it. I never seen any actual proof that wild ducks suffer from eating bread. Domestic ducks fed nothing but bread might, but wild Mallards move freely to wild habitats and presumably can balance their diet. Ducklings might suffer, but without alternative food in city waters ducklings die from starvation anyway.

Feeding ducks and geese certainly can cause pollution of small ponds with faeces and death of other water life. However feeding with other food would cause the same problem.

One could make also a study on what activities cause most people to get interest in nature - and feeding ducks as a child would rank pretty high :).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back