• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull i.d. Help needed (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Me and two other Manx birders watched this gull for 'a good while' and are a little perplexed by it. Could it be a Heuglin's? Size-wise it wasn't much, if at all, bigger than a Herring Gull ( I have several more shots of the bird including one of it with a Hering Gull) and the bill hasn't got the depth of a GBB. Nor did it have the sheer 'presence' of a GBB. Perhaps it is only a runt GBB. I should stress that none of the observers (including myself) are great gull fans!

Attachments

• gull2.jpg
    gull2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 372
No the legs were a pale flesh colour as in GBB - it was just the small size of the bird and it's bill (small being a comparative term here!), that made me wonder. I've had one Email so far from an 'eminent' gull watcher who has suggested that it may be Heuglin's. (I won't name him as he wasn't sure). Another said how much it reminded him of Yellow-footed, but that would be asking too much

I think this is a 3rd winter GBB, still showing brown in the wing coverts, immature bill markings. This image appears to be in strong sunlight which will account for the mantle colour not looking dark as they normally do. The bill depth isn't a problem, it's still pretty big, and could belong to a female.

Mark

the size is not a problem, female GBB's are smaller than the males and there is some over lap with individual male Herring Gulls.
i like gull watching and have seen some eye-opening size differences between males and females of the same species. This is not just in GBB and Herring, but is more prominent in the larger gulls.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back