• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

If you haven't visited Norfolk before then I would probably recommend going north from North Walsham and then basically taking the coast road west. Depending on water levels Cley NWT can be very good for waders in July, plus Spoonbills, Marsh Harrier, Bearded Tits etc. and lots of Terns offshore. Carry on west and depending on the sort of birding you want to do, there are many places where you can stop and walk along the coast footpath to do some quieter birding. You could stop in Wells for chips (and possibly the Rose-coloured Starling if it stays until then) before carrying on to Titchwell for a wide variety of birds, and of course you can then give us your opinion on the design of the Parrinder Hide ;) Further west you could call in to Thornham Harbour, where you can often get close views of waders in the creeks near the car park, and then you have Holme NWT/NOA reserve nearby too.

I am on holiday in July near North Walsham.
If I have one day only to do some watching away from that area what would local birders recommend as a feasible day out in Norfolk.
I know all about Minsmere from living in Essex years ago but never went into Norfolk.

Ditto. He blessed us all with his running commentary (mainly about how approachable the bird was) whilst constantly walking in front of the birders and even other photographers! Perhaps his monopod could be re-positioned ;)

Chris A.

The subalp was very approachable though. The individual also spent most of the afternoon at the site with the bird and therefore probably had a very good idea how the subalp would behave. The subalp is a bad example as it would approach down to a metre. I would suggest that birds that get too close should have there photos put on birdforum so they can be named and shamed! Why not take photos of those taking photos and put those on birdforum as well! If you really have problems with crowds can I suggest you go somewhere that has very few visiting birders, Holme for example.

It was all very civilized when I visited the starling on Thursday, it is a superb bird and well worth going to see... I and another photographer did get some funny looks when we started taking photos of the common starlings too. I think the sound of our shutters left some assuming that rosy was showing and they were wondering what we were doing! Anyway heer are a couple of my shots from there.

Attachments

• IMG_9644.jpg
    IMG_9644.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_9645.jpg
    IMG_9645.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_9744.jpg
    IMG_9744.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9510.jpg
    IMG_9510.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9432.jpg
    IMG_9432.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 90
My personal opinion on this is, that maybe you should keep your opinions to your self if your going to type fowl language on the Internet about local people, you must realise after spending a life time on this planet that if you are going to aggravate people in general that it will fall back on you, or have you not learnt anything in life.
Photographers have a right to the beauties of the world just as much as you do or anyone else for that matter, I understand what you have written but Can not condone what you have written.
Sorry but your comment and photo gets a big thumbs down for me personally as there is no need to do what you have done, these people have rights and putting a photo up of them can badly go against you personally in a court of law.

Maybe a bit of common sense and politeness can pro vale in future, after all we are all sharing the beauty.

I have been threatened in the past by so called Birders so I personally know what some individuals can be like, my answer was tough and get over it, there's always tomorrow.

Last edited:
Quote 'Photographers have a right to the beauties of the world just as much as you do or anyone else for that matter,'

Yes but the point is they have the same and equal right as everyone else. Not the right to push past others.

quote ' going to type fowl language' How apt for Bird Forum!

No funny coloured Starlings here but the Dunnocks in my garden are busy nest building yet again. Do they ever stop?

Ron

Attachments

• Nesting-dunnock-1-small.jpg
    Nesting-dunnock-1-small.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 72
  • Nesting-dunnock-2-small.jpg
    Nesting-dunnock-2-small.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 68
All very well behaved today from 1:20pm until 4pm.
Starling flew off into the marsh before returning to its normal spot, shame 75% of the people gathered vanished rather than stay and try and look for it...c'est la vie.

Some cracking views of Common and Little Tern as well. Great afternoon.

Photos here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back