• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

Out on the bike today checking out the Barsham area that Mark mentioned for Tree Sparrows. 3 hours sadly didn't produce any. Couple of good Yellowhammer flocks, one with c5 Brambling knocking around in there. 100s of Chaffinches in the fields didn't produce anything else out of the ordinary. Couple of Buzzards, 2 Kestrels, 3 Golden Plovers, lots of Stock Doves and a close flying Barn Owl all added to a nice ride.

Headed down to my probable Long Eared Owl site at about 4:30. 1 Barn Owl swept past and settled on a fence post beside me as I walked down the path. Sat against a bank for half an hour or so, waiting for it to get dark, and at around 17:00 a Long Eared appeared above the horizon and fluttered about for a bit, before gliding out of view. Amazing! Little Owl buzzed over my head in the semi-dark and a Tawny Owl "ho-ho-hwooooo"d from nearby. Unbelievable! Owl fest!!!!

Jason

Last edited:
Dudes.

Yesterday I went to Holkham, had a look round the park, then decided to watch the geese on the freshmarsh. I saw the Ross's and 4 or 5 Barnacles.

Do people generally count these geese as a tick or do they not count them?

Also, I heard from a good friend, a place close to home where I could find Jack Snipe so I knocked off work early to give it a go. I was fairly excited at maybe seeing one of these lovely creatures. Within 10 minutes of searching I found a fresh dead Jack Snipe and no others. Bummer, eh?

Cheers.
Fox.

Fox - the Ross' Goose is not on the BOU list as it is a commonly kept bird in collections, although the 1st win bird that appeared a few years back (and probably one of the birds now present as a adult) was the best possible record and acceptable in some camps. The Barnacles are (generally) thought to be wild birsd and therefore counrable, but it is impossible to prove. As others would say 'tick and count what you like'! I personally keep three lists! BOU, UK400 and personal!

I agree with the above. The arrival of the Barnacles with the Pink Feet appeard to be a good sign. However, the feral population by the lake in Holkham Park isn't far away...

I've ticked them anyway!

Jason

Well done, Jason on the Owls (I have just sent you a PM)]Keep going on the Tree Sparrows - I usually catch up with them at Chosely, either around the drying barns, or often the farm itself. Hindolveston is supposed to be good for them too, with even nest boxes!

Incidentally I would just like to point out I did put my Iceland Gull on the pager- dont want to get a name or nuthin like some of the folk from around these parts! ;)

Connor

Are there any Rough-legs Buzzard about in Norfolk at the moment? I was invited to go and have a look at that American Tom-tit. I said I'd only go if I could see a Rough-leg.

None around at the moment. There has been one in the east recently, but not recently or regularly (contradiction I know) and even the east coast boys can't find it! No reports from Massingham this winter and only irregular last.
(Maybe you need to go to Sheppey, Kent!)

Great set of messages just appeared on RBA - Ilya must be killing himself! (any response to my e-mail by the way!)

Half guessed they'd lift things off the website. I'll have to be a bit careful about sensitive stuff. Oh well, fair enough, I always phone in decent stuff, just don't really see the point with scarce that predictably turns up at the same sites regularly and I'm not keen on every man and his dog knowing about the precise location of the owls as I know that many would be tempted to use tapes.....

'chill about to reply to that e-mail....

Great set of messages just appeared on RBA - Ilya must be killing himself! (any response to my e-mail by the way!)

Why? What else is about (I don't have a pager)? Got tomorrow off, so will probably head up to UEA to see if I can see the hawfinches (no luck so far). Does anyone know if they are still around or if the Goosanders are back (didn't see any last weekend). Also a friend from Bird forum coming at the weekend to twitch the sparrow if its is still at Cley. Is there anything else we should look for?

thanks

Jo.

Jo - my comment was aboyt RBA lifting info off Ilya's site (as he noted) so check there.
Otherwise it is mainly about the geese in Norfolk at the mo (whatever you choose to tick)!
David

Hi from the north east! This may be a daft question, but is Norfolk affected by the floods? I may be coming down at the weekend but dont know if the weather will be a problem, and dont want to have a wasted journey if I can help it. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

i havent seen much in east norfolk Jase, though the path and across the fields from Horsey mill to the harrier dyke was a bit wet and boggy last night - certainly boots would be a good idea.

I think(?) the chip shop up the coast at Walcot is still OOA though, from that last lot of rough weather / flooding a few weeks ago

Last edited:
Hi from the north east! This may be a daft question, but is Norfolk affected by the floods? I may be coming down at the weekend but dont know if the weather will be a problem, and dont want to have a wasted journey if I can help it. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

The A1101 at Welney is closed due to flooding and, like Karl says, wellies would be a good idea. Click here for local traffic and travel news....

James

Half guessed they'd lift things off the website. I'll have to be a bit careful about sensitive stuff. Oh well, fair enough, I always phone in decent stuff, just don't really see the point with scarce that predictably turns up at the same sites regularly and I'm not keen on every man and his dog knowing about the precise location of the owls as I know that many would be tempted to use tapes.....

'chill about to reply to that e-mail....

this was pretty much my missive last night earlier. One minor point - although we put stuff on our websites they are sightings by friends and aquaintances or people we meet (as with the 'A47' GWE). So we do not know any details... something to bear in mind...

re the owls, word will spread quickly once locations are given out. Don't know if that's good or bad...

Last edited:
this was pretty much my missive last night earlier. One minor point - although we put stuff on our websites they are sightings by friends and aquaintances or people we meet (as with the 'A47' GWE). So we do not know any details... something to bear in mind...

re the owls, word will spread quickly once locations are given out. Don't know if that's good or bad...

Missed the missive - did bf wipe it? Curious now.

Re: owls - on my website it says Thetford Forest, which I hope is sufficiently vague to bit people off the masses as that's about 200+ sq km of forest. I do intend to be cautious about news going out though and thought about it b4 putting on site. The're not actually protected birds in UK (prob cat Cs in my opinion) and not of any particular conservation concern except that their obviousely rare in the UK. Just a nice bird to see.

Kittykat - stuff in Norfolk. All on my website (see below) bar the Great Grey Shrike at Royden Common and snow goose, which has now moved to Docking area.

Re: woodchatshrike - RL Buzzards. Non twitchable, but I suspect there might be one around in East Norfolk (although it has been a bit mild recently). if you're prepared to look yourself try either Haddiscoe or Halvergate Marshes as these are good spots.

Jo - my comment was aboyt RBA lifting info off Ilya's site (as he noted) so check there.
Otherwise it is mainly about the geese in Norfolk at the mo (whatever you choose to tick)!
David

Yeah I think Ilya posted at the same time I did! Whoops! Anyway, Ilya, if you happen to go for those owls again and would like a bit towards petrol I'd love to see them! ;)

Just come back from a few days in Norfolk where the highlights were the Sparrow,Lapland and Snow buntings.Spent ages searching through three different Brent Goose flocks and still couldn't find a Black Brant,oh well never mind I'm back in a month.
I was quite shocked to see how the shoreline had changed at Cley(by the coastguards) and at Salthouse.Are they intending to push the shingle back or leave it as it is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back