• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

I have been a very silly sausage today and managed to lose my birding notebook somewhere on the Cley reserve :C. It is a black Aldwych notebook with writing in red from today. It starts in June 2008 with a Center Parcs visit (shows how infrequent it is I manage to get out and about if it's lasted that long!!!).

Am gutted to have lost it - if anyone finds it / has found it can they please let me know

Last place I know I had it was the Swarovski hide. I then walked along the shingle to West Bank and along the bank then back through to the Visitor's Centre where I went to the ladies and the cafe.

Thank you
Claire

A mobile flock of c30 Crossbills on the west side of Felbrigg Park this afternoon, and up to 3 Mandarins still on the lake.

Juv Med Gull y'day roosting on the playing field at Beeston Regis with other gulls in the afternoon before flying off west.

Simon

Friday 24th July - evening.

Zipped over to Cley to try and see the Pectoral Sandpiper, but no luck - sat for a long time in North Hide and in Dauke's Hide. Lots of young swallows practicing balancing techniques on the wires along the path to North hide! Was still in Cley at 9pm when my pager bleeped up with the GS Cuckoo seen at Kelling at 7.50pm - wish I had gone down there now! (being greedy I know!)

Saturday 25th July

Arrived at Salthouse early morning to look for Great Spotted Cuckoo again in its original place, as I knew everyone would be looking at Kelling and thought it might have got flushed back up to Salthouse, but no luck. Did see a hawthorn bush full of common whitethroats and plenty of magpies in the sycamore tree where it sat on Thursday evening!

Sheringham Seawatching 9.45 - 11.15am

3 Fulmers, 13 Common Scoter, 3 curlew, 11 Gannets, 2 Sanderling, lots of sandwich terns.

Muckleborough Hill - nothing much! lots of butterflies on the buddleia by the gate though.

East Bank - Goose chase for a Pectoral Sandpiper that wasn't!

Walsey Hills - spent a long time photographing bees, painted ladies and colourful flies etc on the ivy bush/bramble near the public footpath sign.

Daukes Hide - Watched spoonbills and usual waders - too tired to list them!

Stiffkey Fen - 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 little ringed plover, black tailed godwits, avocets, lapwings, greylags, black headed gulls, oh and 1 greenshank in the harbour by boats.

Private location - Very late evening - one Long Eared Owl.

Please John don't find any MEGA's tomorrow!!!;) I am at work all day!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
I have been a very silly sausage today and managed to lose my birding notebook somewhere on the Cley reserve :C. It is a black Aldwych notebook with writing in red from today. It starts in June 2008 with a Center Parcs visit (shows how infrequent it is I manage to get out and about if it's lasted that long!!!).

Am gutted to have lost it - if anyone finds it / has found it can they please let me know

Last place I know I had it was the Swarovski hide. I then walked along the shingle to West Bank and along the bank then back through to the Visitor's Centre where I went to the ladies and the cafe.

Thank you
Claire

Hi Claire

I am sure one of the many Cley birders, several of whom read this thread regularly will find it for you and hand it in to the Cley Visitor Centre. I would give the centre a ring in the morning, maybe someone has handed it in already. Hope you find it:t:

Looks like Breydon is playing host to another slightly controversial Lesser golden plover. Does anyone have any photos of this particular bird? Do we know if its the same individual that was seen and photographed very well at Cley earlier?

Ps Titchwell was stacked with waders this morning on the high tide,
286 Dunlin
2 Curlew Sands
250+ Blackwits
as well as a host of others, its looking pretty good there at the moment, surely a Titchwell rare is due.

Cheers,

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the area - by the time autumn comes, make sure you've acquainted yourself with the Friary Hills area in Blakeney as that can be very good for migrants.

Irene

Could someone please give a pointer to where Friary Hills actually is? I shall be over in Norfolk in September as every year and know a bit of the area but this is a place that I'm not that familiar with....well I don't think I am ;) Maybe I've been there without realising. Cheers.

Looks like Breydon is playing host to another slightly controversial Lesser golden plover. Does anyone have any photos of this particular bird? Do we know if its the same individual that was seen and photographed very well at Cley earlier?

Ps Titchwell was stacked with waders this morning on the high tide,
286 Dunlin
2 Curlew Sands
250+ Blackwits
as well as a host of others, its looking pretty good there at the moment, surely a Titchwell rare is due.

Cheers,

Hi Ben,

Cley also seems to be stacking up with waders. Over 200 Dunlin from N Hide today. Also 1 green sand, 1 com sand, 1 greenshank, 2 spot red, lots of Bl t godwit and plenty of ruff. There must surely be more good waders in Norfolk soon...
Would be good to see photos of the Breydon (yet another) controversial plover! Does this man this is a new bird as the Cley bird was an Am G Plover!
Sacha

Friary Hills

Could someone please give a pointer to where Friary Hills actually is?

Friary Hills is just east of Blakeney village at roughly TG 033 442 - marked as Friry Farm and remains of friary on OS Exporer maps. Best to park in the car park on the harbour front, walk east past the duck pond (oodles of 'ticks' here;) and then at the right hand bend, go through the gate ahead and you'll see all the juicy scrub ahead of you. Also good views over the freshmarsh if you turn right up the hill onto the small plateau above you.

Irene

Rosy left in a hurry

Another walk along the East Bank at Cley provided a minor success, for a change. Instead of invisible plovers and non-existent sandpipers, a Roseate Tern was still roosting on Arnold's. (I hope he didn't mind!) However, soon after I arrived, it took off out to sea.

On my way north, Pete and Sue had been walking towards me and then suddenly did a volte-face, adopting the characteristic Beidaihe 'PGTips pose'- looking down at their feet. Some stray feathers on the path led me to think I'd not only found the cuckoo whilst it was quick, but was now looking at some of its remains. I will reveal more at another time, having left the CSI (Cuckoo Scene Investigation?) evidence in the car.

Determined searching at Salthouse revealed only the non-avian Hairy (I think) Buttercup, Sea Lavender and more Common Blues than yesterday and, at Blakeney Esker, Purple Hairstreak.

Attachments

• P1090374#002.jpg
    P1090374#002.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 70
  • P1090389#002.jpg
    P1090389#002.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 44
  • P1090392#002.jpg
    P1090392#002.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 45
  • P1090354#002.jpg
    P1090354#002.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 62
Breydon Plover

I am confused. I saw the plover on thursday 23rd July with others and it looked very much like the Cley bird, all black underneath with the bulging white sides to the breast, one flank had a very fine line of white and the under tail had white feathers coming through. Admittedly we didn't see it close enough to see the tertial/primary combination. 3 days later the bird has moulted an awful lot or its a different bird ? Did anyone else on here see the bird when it appeared back at breydon on weds/thurs last week ?

cheers
Stuart

Friary Hills is just east of Blakeney village at roughly TG 033 442 - marked as Friry Farm and remains of friary on OS Exporer maps. Best to park in the car park on the harbour front, walk east past the duck pond (oodles of 'ticks' here;) and then at the right hand bend, go through the gate ahead and you'll see all the juicy scrub ahead of you. Also good views over the freshmarsh if you turn right up the hill onto the small plateau above you.

Irene

Thanks a lot, Irene, much appreciated. Will give it a look when we are there in late September :t:

This morning at Breydon, (besides the plover) 1 Green Sand and 26 Little Gulls.

Buckenham Marshes this afternoon: 2 Green Sands, 2 Greenshank, 4 Ruff, 17 Blackwits, 8 Dunlin, 6 Redshank, 3 Snipe, 1 Turtle Dove.

Cheers,
Jono Leadley

Hi Claire

I am sure one of the many Cley birders, several of whom read this thread regularly will find it for you and hand it in to the Cley Visitor Centre. I would give the centre a ring in the morning, maybe someone has handed it in already. Hope you find it:t:

Phoned them this morning but no luck :-C
Keep hoping it will turn up in the bottom of my rucksack but as of yet no luck!
Claire

Phoned them this morning but no luck :-C
Keep hoping it will turn up in the bottom of my rucksack but as of yet no luck!
Claire

Hope you get it back. I lost mine once and as I had put my mobile number in it I eventually got a phone call and got back all my WEB data I hadn't entered much to my relief. Still readable dispite the mould which was growing on it.

Joan

Many thanks Frootshoot and Irene, certainly there must be birds that filter past Blakeney Point and end up in this area. Lots of rain overnight but only a few new Common Sandpipers arrived at Cley

Titchwell July 27th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 4 on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1 hunting over reserve
Eider - 22 offshore
Common sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 over reedbed

Paul

One of the billion Vanessas (?) and forensically speaking

These are becoming more and more evident over the last few days. Whether the forecast that a billion will emerge during August will prove true depends, to some extent, on the weather, I suppose. It's still unsettled for the foreseeable.

Here are the feathers that I collected from the path on the East Bank (see #6804). Unfortunately (or, fortunately, if you're a certain cuckoo!), they have been IDed (thanks, James) as the tail feathers of a young Swallow- hence the saying "Young Swallow doesn't make a summer!" ? ?

Attachments

• P1090418#001.jpg
    P1090418#001.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 47
  • P1090422#001.jpg
    P1090422#001.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 53

Users who are viewing this thread

Back