• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

Watched from on top of "the bitterly cold shelter" (hardcore) from 9:30 til 11 & had Lapwing 810, Snipe 123, Scaup 17, Goosander 1, Skylark 34 + lesser numbers of various other wader sp. all flying west. Wish id got there for first light now rather than poncing about on Kelling Heath, it was pretty though. See attachments. Merry Christmas everyone !

Attachments

• IMG_9681.JPG
    IMG_9681.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_9689.JPG
    IMG_9689.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_9690.jpg
    IMG_9690.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 112
Skylarks, Mipits and Redwings going west over Whitlingham this morning too. My WeBS count here produced a monster record count of 547 Gadwall, by far the highest I've had here in over 10 years of counts. In total, 2,736 birds counted including a female Pintail, 2 Goosander, Water Rail and at least 16 Snipe although these latter will have been a massive undercount.

Cheers

Andy

Not quite the same numbers are Rob at Sheringham but lapwings on the move well inland with 100+ just south of Attleborough in a couple of hours.Also, an amazing 400+ skylarks in one weedy field in the same area and good numbers of blackbirds evident everywhere with 18 under a single apple tree. Most surprising birds of the day were 3 little egrets which flew east between Hargham and Attleborough.

Skylarks, Mipits and Redwings going west over Whitlingham this morning too. My WeBS count here produced a monster record count of 547 Gadwall, by far the highest I've had here in over 10 years of counts. In total, 2,736 birds counted including a female Pintail, 2 Goosander, Water Rail and at least 16 Snipe although these latter will have been a massive undercount.

Cheers

Andy

Whereabouts was the Pintail? I gave up counting the Gadwall when I was there yesterday!

Cheers,
James

Whereabouts was the Pintail? I gave up counting the Gadwall when I was there yesterday!

Cheers,
James

Actually on the Little Broad, and it wasn't there when I looked again later, so don't know whether it had flown off or gone into the reedy edge. A very unusual bird here on the WeBS count.

Cheers

Andy

Dozens of common snipe flitting around Cley Marshes this morning, no doubt looking for some soft ground to probe, also a flock of,again, around forty skylark in the stubble field west of the visitor centre (sorry John, cafe and gift shop) this morning. A couple of peregrine over North scrape to worry the waders and duck.

Dozens of common snipe flitting around Cley Marshes this morning, no doubt looking for some soft ground to probe, also a flock of,again, around forty skylark in the stubble field west of the visitor centre (sorry John, cafe and gift shop) this morning. A couple of peregrine over North scrape to worry the waders and duck.

You are back as the man of cley!

Snowed-in in Lingwood at dawn, so walked the couple of miles across the fields to Buckenham.
Undoubted highlight were the local Peregrine pair battling with another female high up over the marshes for several minutes, putting on a smart performance. Two Pinks with the Greylag flock, c50 Goldies with c500 Lapwing.
Later, no sign of the PB Brent with the thousands of Pinks near Cantley Cock pub, but 70 Taiga Beans and 25 White-fronts on Cantley, north of the railway line.
Cheers
p.s. If you haven't heard, Rage Against the Machine are Christmas number one! Awesome!

There was almost a constant stream of Common Snipe coming in off the sea whilst I was out walking along Cromer GC this afternoon, the most I can ever recall seeing. Whilst the majority were heading straight inland in groups of up to 8, many were also landing either on the undercliff or on the pools on the beach itself to feed which was unusual to see.

As already mentioned other birds moving included Golden Plover, Lapwings, Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, Redwings, Song Thrushes and Blackbirds.

Also of note was a Little Egret which flew east close inshore, only the second one of the year that I've seen moving through the patch.

Simon

Josh does not seem to change on his "beyond the fringe" views!
Regards.

Mark

Oh heavens save us, Mark has arrived, tell us Mark what did you see on Fair Isle this Autumn ;), seriously good to have you on board.

On Friday 3 Woodcock were maybe new in on HOTH and a Bewick's Swan flew over in the snow behind Blakeney. Absent mindedly (honestly) wandered into a field and found one of those fantastic spinneys maybe created in the wars that usually harbour so many birds, it was absolutely heaving, masses of Yellowhammer, Thrushes, Jays, unfortunately the farmer appeared out of nowhere and started driving his tractor/quadbike up and down the field in a worryingly deranged manner. I was trapped for a while and simply hid but eventually sneaked out the back and legged it (perhaps) a little wiser to the safe sanctuary of the nearest road, finches and buntings exploding out of the bushes constantly revealing my location. Just as i rounded the corner on the road another tractor turned into the muddy track i'd been escaping along - phew 8-P

Later the iconic bird of the snow a Barn Owl crossing the road behind me on Wiveton Bridge and a Water Pipit with Meadow Pipits on the frozen pools roughly in front of The Three Swallows.

Yeah Jono, possibly the greatest anarchic moment in the history of pop,ta kes me back to my sweaty walled Indie disco moshing times, after three - FU i won't do want you tell me!'

Oh heavens save us, Mark has arrived, tell us Mark what did you see on Fair Isle this Autumn ;), seriously good to have you on board.

On Friday 3 Woodcock were maybe new in on HOTH and a Bewick's Swan flew over in the snow behind Blakeney. Absent mindedly (honestly) wandered into a field and found one of those fantastic spinneys maybe created in the wars that usually harbour so many birds, it was absolutely heaving, masses of Yellowhammer, Thrushes, Jays, unfortunately the farmer appeared out of nowhere and started driving his tractor/quadbike up and down the field in a worryingly deranged manner. I was trapped for a while and simply hid but eventually sneaked out the back and legged it (perhaps) a little wiser to the safe sanctuary of the nearest road, finches and buntings exploding out of the bushes constantly revealing my location. Just as i rounded the corner on the road another tractor turned into the muddy track i'd been escaping along - phew 8-P

Later the iconic bird of the snow a Barn Owl crossing the road behind me on Wiveton Bridge and a Water Pipit with Meadow Pipits on the frozen pools roughly in front of The Three Swallows.

Yeah Jono, possibly the greatest anarchic moment in the history of pop,ta kes me back to my sweaty walled Indie disco moshing times, after three - FU i won't do want you tell me!'

Josh. Although I am the man with no name, I was on fair isle this autumn! It was a bit slow, but saw the following, 1 artic warbler, 2 greenish warblers (one self found), 2 little buntings, 4 icterine warblers (two self found) 8 barred warblers ( two self found), 7 rosefinches ( two self found), 3 bluethroats ( two self found), 3 wrynecks ( one self found), 1 richards pipit, two red backed shrikes, two corncrakes ( self found), two yellow browed warblers ( self found). Also storm petrels and lapland bunting. Best find Marsh Harrier, scarce bird on fair isle.

Also managed to see sandhill crane, veery, taiga flycatcher, fantailed warbler and the eastern crowned warbler which was fab!

Currently in beds. Missing Norfolk, the Cley square and the sea! Will be back though.

Regards.

Numbers of Goosander still rising at Denver Sluice with 61 there this morning! Also 5 Water Rails, and 4 Whooper Swans south, 2 Bewick's Swans north.

Have attached some pictures from this morning below. Apologies for the Goosander shot, I wanted to get quite a few birds in to show how many there were and didn't want to get too close to disturb them!

Attachments

• Grey Heron juv..jpg
    Grey Heron juv..jpg
    52 KB · Views: 70
  • Water Rail.jpg
    Water Rail.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Goosanders 2.jpg
    Goosanders 2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Saturday 19th December

VERY heavy snowfall here in King's Lynn (had to walk to work on Friday) and area but managed to get my courtesy Rover car out of drive and just about made it to Docking to collect my Hyundai Coupe:t:;) - lovely christmas present with new bonnet and other scratches, rusty bits, dents etc all sorted aswell!!!:t: After picking up the car I made my way VERY carefully to the nearest garage which was Burnham Deepdale as I noticed the petrol gauge was on E!!! After filling up it was too tempting not to go in Deepdale cafe and have cheese omelette and chips following by chocolate torte!;) - all excellent for the christmas waistline!;)

Titchwell RSPB - very strange being here with so few cars! Had a good afternoon here with a Woodcock flying over carpark on arrival, also a great spotted woodpecker (walked down the main path with a local birder called Jim (don't know his surname). Several meadow pipits on new embankment, pintail, loads of common and black headed gulls, wigeon, etc etc. From the sea: 3 red breasted mergansers going west, 6 Eiders but NO red necked grebe (wanted for year list!). On the way back down the main path, fantastic views of a ring tail hen harrier along with 2 marsh harriers, but wasn't lucky enough to see the Red Kite reported from Holme.

Drove very carefully back to King's Lynn and then could not get the car in my sloped drive, but thankfully a very nice neighbour came out and helped push the car!

Walked to my sister's (Lucy) and then to the Corn Exchange with her to watch 'Snow White on Ice' and then walked home in severe blizzards! Sadly my baby sister Vivien could not make it from Ely.

I have not seen snow like this since I moved back to Norfolk - no way the car will be going anywhere for a few days!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Sunday 20th December

No shifts today, but not able to get the car out to go to coast - very frustrating! I think the car is somewhere in the garden - thats how bad the snow is here!:eek!:

After having an incredibly lazy morning with eggs and soliders (ahhhh!) I eventually left the house at 2pm with rucksack with bins and scope for a spot of local birding combined with christmas shopping/food shopping in King's Lynn.

Walking through the walks I saw very few birds, only a robin, blue tit, blackbirds and carrion crows. Spent a long time looking in Fisherfleet (opposite J&I Motors) as there is nearly always grey wagtails and kingfisher here but not today. BUT good numbers of blackbirds zipping about in there along with mallards, moorhens, robin and best of all (never seen in here before) a Snipe plummeted out!

From Boal Quay carpark area a massive est. count of 300+ lapwing sitting on the mud along with greylag geese, several redshanks, 5 ringed plovers, several dunlin, several cormorants, golden plover, common and black headed gulls.

Getting fed up with walking to Tescos with haversack for food, especially when I have another cold and feel rotton!

Last edited:
Numbers of Goosander still rising at Denver Sluice with 61 there this morning! Also 5 Water Rails, and 4 Whooper Swans south, 2 Bewick's Swans north.

Have attached some pictures from this morning below. Apologies for the Goosander shot, I wanted to get quite a few birds in to show how many there were and didn't want to get too close to disturb them!

Fantastic record shot of Goosanders Simeon!:t:

Watched from on top of "the bitterly cold shelter" (hardcore) from 9:30 til 11 & had Lapwing 810, Snipe 123, Scaup 17, Goosander 1, Skylark 34 + lesser numbers of various other wader sp. all flying west. Wish id got there for first light now rather than poncing about on Kelling Heath, it was pretty though. See attachments. Merry Christmas everyone !

Beautiful pictures Rob!:t:

Penny. How did you get on with your year list in the end? Have not been in Norfolk for a little while! Did you twitch the Eastern crowned warbler? Are you interested in going to Shetland or Fair Isle at some point!

Regards.

MarkB o:)

Hi Mark

First of all - I do apologise - are you 'Mark' who raced with me from Cley Beach Carpark to see the Red Rumped Swallow at the Windmill?

Year list is stuck on 260 for Norfolk currently - BUT the year is not over yet! Well it will be if the snow doesn't clear to get the car out, I am hoping very much I will be able to go out over christmas period.

If you look on surfbirds British year list you will see that yes I DID see the ECW!

Yes I was planning on going to Fair Isle this year anyway as have been itching to go again (went in 2005 and 2006), but although I know the autumn is better for rares I prefer to go in May/June as the whole Fair Isle experience is prettier, puffins etc etc and the boat rocks slightly;) less than in the autumn!!!

Hi Mark

First of all - I do apologise - are you 'Mark' who raced with me from Cley Beach Carpark to see the Red Rumped Swallow at the Windmill?

Year list is stuck on 260 for Norfolk currently - BUT the year is not over yet! Well it will be if the snow doesn't clear to get the car out, I am hoping very much I will be able to go out over christmas period.

If you look on surfbirds British year list you will see that yes I DID see the ECW!

Yes I was planning on going to Fair Isle this year anyway as have been itching to go again (went in 2005 and 2006), but although I know the autumn is better for rares I prefer to go in May/June as the whole Fair Isle experience is prettier, puffins etc etc and the boat rocks slightly;) less than in the autumn!!!

Yes it is! 260 is a very good, particularly given the time limits around work. Are there any obvious gaps that can be made up before the end of the year. Planning to do Shetland late spring. Unst and Fetlar could be good - yet to see Orca's. Might do a couple of days on fair isle - if I can get in!!

Regards.B :)B :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back