• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

Hi Penny, no didnt find anything else of note, was being far to lazy around the obs. Thanks for the comments about the cakes, will try and make some more soon! How did you do on your days holiday?

Cheers,

Connor

Ring ouzel seen briefly in the sueda bushes along the tidal pool this morning although very elusive in the winds. Caught up with the teal today after a week away - 233 spp for Titchwell.
Just got back for a week in Spain where it certainly wasn't snowing on the beach like it was today!!!!

Paul Eele said:
Ring ouzel seen briefly in the sueda bushes along the tidal pool this morning although very elusive in the winds. Caught up with the teal today after a week away - 233 spp for Titchwell.
Just got back for a week in Spain where it certainly wasn't snowing on the beach like it was today!!!!

So that's where it went!
Sue

Connor Rand said:
Hi Penny, no didnt find anything else of note, was being far to lazy around the obs. Thanks for the comments about the cakes, will try and make some more soon! How did you do on your days holiday?

Cheers,

Connor

Hi Connor

Well didn't really do much birding today. After working my usual double shift at the hospital it was a real treat not set the alarm this morning. Woke up at 8am and then snoozed again until 10am!!!! (very unusual for me). A friend came over for lunch and then we went to Abbey Farm at Flitcham. On arrival in carpark we decided to walk down the road first as the hide looked full with people from a bird tour (going by van in carpark) and there was me thinking it would be empty on a Monday!!!! Birds seen were: Kestrel, curlew flying over, chaffinches, greenfinches, hares playing in the fields, couple of red legged partridge. There were alot of birds directly behind the big hedge along road, but it was difficult to see them, we didn't see any tree sparrows, although I am sure they were there somewhere. The weather was atrocious - we just got back to the car in time and sat watching a whirling snow storm around us. We then went into hide full of people who left shortly after we arrived. The storm dispersed for a while and the sun came out. Saw Gadwall, egyptian geese, canadas, greylags, a big flock of curlew came over, goldcrest, long tailed tits (playing in gorse directly in front of hide!), mistle thrush, more redwings and fieldfares, oystercatchers, lapwings, coots, moorhen, robin, blackbird, plenty of jackdaws, flock of black headed gulls, goldfinches, and a squirrel searching for pre-hidden nuts which was fun to watch. First time I have been to Flitcham and not seen the Little Owl though!!! Skies blackened again and we left.

Best Wishes Penny

P.S. I See our Ring Ouzel is now seeking refuge at Titchwell!!! :girl:

Last edited:
Ageinghippie said:
Hello to Norfolk,

We have a cottage booked in Colkirk....
Cheers

Les

Hi there, i'm not exactly local to that part of the county so arent too certain of all the little hidden spots but you'll have the ,Wensum valley right on your doorstep. Its also not too far from the north Norfolk coast (Cley etc)

Ageinghippie said:
We have a cottage booked in Colkirk...
Well I've just looked on the map - didn't know colkirk. You've Pensthorpe just down the road, and Ryburgh. But dog friendly places... well there's Holt country park and Kelling heath. Then coastal path from weybourne westwards. Wells woods is always good for migrants, holkham just to the left. Heading south east you have foxley wood (dogs on leads there). Other good dog spots not totally devoid of bird interest would include beeston common, north tuddingham common.

Other reserves nearby include Sculthorpe hawk and owl reserve and sparham pools, but I would think the coast is your best bet. The coastal footpath runs all the way along so easy access and the dogs are no problem.

I finally dragged myself to Norfolk today, and apart from the birds, I was also fortunate (maybe) enough to bump into Bill Oddie. He was filming the knots at Snettisham. The flocks of them were quite a sight though, to be fair.

Didn't get to see any harriers though... maybe next time.

Duck_Pond said:
I finally dragged myself to Norfolk today, and apart from the birds, I was also fortunate (maybe) enough to bump into Bill Oddie. He was filming the knots at Snettisham. The flocks of them were quite a sight though, to be fair.

Didn't get to see any harriers though... maybe next time.

Bill was at Cley and Salthouse filming yesterday too.

Penny Clarke said:
Thank you Jyhothi very much, very sweet of you.

Hope you have had a good weekend.

Sometimes you are just lucky with birds, I had a very lucky day. Mind you I deserved the wheatear!!! it was freezing cold that morning, and I had got up at a silly time after not having much sleep, so was pleased as punch when I saw the wheatear bounding into the dunes :D and the Ring Ouzel was an added bonus, I think the golfers had maybe frightened it back up to the area where it was first found in the morning, lucky me!!!!

Best Wishes Penny :girl:
Hold on, we deserve the Wheatears, still none in Devon, and we've already lost all the winter visitors. Absolutely smut currently residing in the county!
PS. Jyothi ;)

Finally saw two Sand Martins today (although I know not actually in Norfolk...) at Rutland Water on the way to a Hockey match...

Cheers,

Connor

Connor Rand said:
Finally saw two Sand Martins today (although I know not actually in Norfolk...) at Rutland Water on the way to a Hockey match...

Cheers,

Connor

Must be time to check all the local gravel pits for them!
Sue
PS Did you win?

Connor Rand said:

Cheers,

Connor

Connor - well done :clap: :t:

You've beaten me (knew you would!!!!) - right I'll be out very early Saturday then!!!!!!

P.S. Someone had a Firecrest at Abbey Farm!!!!! see:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=81452

Last edited:
Don't get too excited. I think it was a goldcrest after looking at the picture more carefully. Sorry. I've edited my original post... the description in Collins seems to favour a goldcrest.

Duck_Pond said:
Don't get too excited. I think it was a goldcrest after looking at the picture more carefully. Sorry. I've edited my original post... the description in Collins seems to favour a goldcrest.

Thank you for letting us know. I saw a goldcrest hopping about in front of the hide on Monday afternoon and thought 'BOTHER' when you said you saw a Firecrest on Wednesday...... I missed it!!!!! But firecrests have been seen this year, so you might well see one soon.

When I was a little girl (many years ago!!!) I used to tell the difference between a goldcrest and firecrest by thinking the goldcrest looked sweet, with no eyestripe and the firecrest looked cross with his very definate eyestripe!!!

Enjoy your birding

Birdline:

Drake green winged teal still at Titchwell

Black redstart at Choosley Drying Barns

Glaucous gull at Cley + 3 Med gulls

Little ringed plover at Salthouse

Black eared kite seen at Wolverton yesterday

Have a good weekend everyone

Duck_Pond said:

Not to worry! I did pop out from work at lunch time to see if I could find it. I did think it was an unusual habitat for Firecrest but on migration anything is possible. As Penny says, a Firecrest has very bold eyestripes. However not all was lost as I had my best views ever of the two Little Owls sat together and really enjoyed my brief time there.

Sue ;)

Hi Sue. yeah definitely time to start checking local gravel pits! Still 25+ Redwings at Wisbech (just in Norfolk! honest!) on Thursday.

And we lost in the hockey 6-0...

Connor Rand said:
Hi Sue. yeah definitely time to start checking local gravel pits! Still 25+ Redwings at Wisbech (just in Norfolk! honest!) on Thursday.

And we lost in the hockey 6-0...

Oh dear!
Sue :eek!:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back