• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (32 Viewers)

Hi.

Decided to stay fairly local to Dereham today so had a walk round part of the Wensum valley. Lots of nice summer migrants on display. Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Blackcaps were everywhere. 2 Garden Warblers, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Cuckoo, 5 Common Terns, Hobby and 1 Grasshopper Warbler were the birds of the day. I also watched a Kestrel fly across a meadow carrying a young Rabbit, It could barely fly a couple of foot above ground level, quite remarkable to watch. A nice few hours birding within 15 mins from home. Nice.

Fox.

I spent a few hours with the Bluethroat this morning!
It is mainly (always this am) being seen in reeds along the left side of the path leading down to Lyle Hide. It was showing and singing nearly constantly whilst I was there, and how I wish I was a better photographer/had a better camera!

Hope it sticks for you Peter and that you are able to do this wonderful bird the justice it deserves.

A big thank you to Welney WWT for their organisation (even if £6.70 still seems a bit steep!!)

thanks for the info - I popped over there this morning and am glad I did. A stunning bird to both see and hear. I've posted a shot in the gallery - http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/306080/limit/recent and there are some more on my website.

Smart nominate male Woodchat Shrike at Winterton south dunes this afternoon, in gorse bushes about 500 m south of the beach road.
A couple of photos on my blog.

This morning, 3 (Greenland) Wheatears on Strumpshaw Hill, plus Lesser Whitethroat and Turtle Dove.

Cheers
Jono

The curse of the pager

Had a great day out today, a fine adult Little Gull was seen at Barton Broad. Rush Hill scrape produced 2 Wood Sandpipers , a hobby and 9 species of warbler. Then we headed to winterton, first up a female Ring Ouzel flushed below hermanus, moving on about 500yds south of the road I heard my pager bleep. It informed us a woodchat had been seen some 2 hours earlier in that exact spot !! I looked up and there it was a fine male WOODCHAT SHRIKE. Oh if only I hadn't heard the pager or got delayed by the rouzel. Can I have it as a find anyway, surely we would have found it ? Up in the north dunes we found 2 cracking male Whinchats and headed home happy.

Would chat- but don’t really have the time . . .

. . . football to watch !

Not much of a diversion from the usual way home and a nice little bonus after more than an hour in detention- not me, some wretched youths.

Happily accommodating of some snaps, but not heard by me to utter a sound, it seemed to accept the quiet approach. Most of the time, it was disturbed by the myriad dog people- one of the curses of Winterton.

Attachments

• 046psesm.jpg
    046psesm.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 136
Some excellent birds turning up today (and good to hear about them, too!)

Can someone explain to me why Tawny Pipit is now a 'rarity' as per RBA (sorry if I have missed something!

Can someone explain to me why Tawny Pipit is now a 'rarity' as per RBA (sorry if I have missed something!

I can't speak for RBA, but although it isn't an BBRC species, Tawny Pipit does seem to be fairly thin on the ground these days. (Ortolan is another similar "non-rarity" that springs to mind). Only 231 out of 580 British Life Lists on BUBO Listing have Tawny Pipit, ranking it below lots of supposedly rarer species. Anyway, I need it (and Woodchat) for Norfolk, but I'm not likely to have a chance until the weekend...

Cheers

Andy

Smashing Evening

Hi got home at 6pm to see Hoopoe on pager, so dashed off along the coast path and thanks to chap giving directions along with a lovely couple from West Runton, there it was, absolutely stunning! I shall be grinning for the rest of the week, I have always wanted to see one of these! Watched it for about 45 minutes. Also saw Whitethroat and linnet. ;)

where was it

Hi got home at 6pm to see Hoopoe on pager, so dashed off along the coast path and thanks to chap giving directions along with a lovely couple from West Runton, there it was, absolutely stunning! I shall be grinning for the rest of the week, I have always wanted to see one of these! Watched it for about 45 minutes. Also saw Whitethroat and linnet. ;)

where it was seen would be helpful , not everybody has a pager ,

This evening it went from the West end of the Golf Course (Sheringham) all the way up to the footpath further West that comes from the A149 flying back and forth all the time did sit still for a while in the middle of the field before flying back towards the Golf Course

Attachments

• Hoopoe.JPG
    Hoopoe.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 93

A Hoopoe was in the area around the western end of the golf course at Sheringham this afternoon and evening. I managed to see it around 7, at which point it was just west of the footpath from Sheringham Park to the coast footpath, before flying east back towards the golf course.

thanks

A Hoopoe was in the area around the western end of the golf course at Sheringham this afternoon and evening. I managed to see it around 7, at which point it was just west of the footpath from Sheringham Park to the coast footpath, before flying east back towards the golf course.

thanks
i hope its still there 2morrow

. . . football to watch !

Not much of a diversion from the usual way home and a nice little bonus after more than an hour in detention- not me, some wretched youths.

Happily accommodating of some snaps, but not heard by me to utter a sound, it seemed to accept the quiet approach. Most of the time, it was disturbed by the myriad dog people- one of the curses of Winterton.

I wondered why you were turning right, John, at the Gapton Hall roundabout in Yarmouth as I was on the way to the good birds in Corton, Suffolk.

A great day. Common sandpiper still this lunchtime at Thorpe Marsh, Norwich, thank you. The pager got busy as I returned to work....

I can't speak for RBA, but although it isn't an BBRC species, Tawny Pipit does seem to be fairly thin on the ground these days. (Ortolan is another similar "non-rarity" that springs to mind). Only 231 out of 580 British Life Lists on BUBO Listing have Tawny Pipit, ranking it below lots of supposedly rarer species. Anyway, I need it (and Woodchat) for Norfolk, but I'm not likely to have a chance until the weekend...

Cheers

Andy

Another bird which is often hard to get is wood warbler. OK, not a proper scarce species even if locally extinct as a breeding species.
Having discovered, when calculating my Suffolk list for Bubo, that I needed wood warbler for that county I twitched the Corton bird. Showed well briefly having called to confirm it had returned to a favoured area having gone missing.

Time to go and see the woodchat and get to an evening meeting.

Left work at 4pm. 730pm meeting and loads of birds to go for.
Saw the two targets, wood warbler and woodchat and got to meeting at 725pm!

Working late tomorrow but will be in Sheringham. May the hoopoe stay!

Titchwell April 29th

Today's highlights

Iberian chiffchaff - singing male along Meadow Trail although difficult to see. Found singing this morning but since late morning has been mobile in the willows around the pond dipping pool but showing well at times. It has been heard to sing again briefly late this afternoon but the rain has now put it off. 1st record for Titchwell.
Red necked grebe - 1 on grazing meadow pool
Garganey - drake on grazing meadow pool before moving to fresh marsh
Grasshopper warbler - 1 singing from Fen Hide
Little gull - adult on grazing marsh pool
Red crested pochard - 2 pairs on fresh marsh

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back