• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (14 Viewers)

1 Swallow on stokesby levels last evening about 6.30pm, my first of the year and very welcome it was too !

quick note from over the border - Dunwich heath today - 1 Sand martin and an Adder

Strumpshaw fen

chiffchaff - 6
willow warbler warbler 1
blackcap 1
swallow 1
cetti's warbler 5
marsh harrier 5

Buckenham marshes

no sign of American wigeon
little ringed plover 1
ruff 4
black-tailed godwit - 6
avocet 10
dunlin 1
swallow 1
marsh harrier 3
plenty of wigeon, teal, shovelers, lapwings, redshanks.

Watched one lapwing mobbing a skylark! which seems a bit over the top

Gordon

Have been ill with horrible cold, temperature etc for 3 days and ventured out mid afternoon today to Holme. Short eared owl hunting over marsh, goldfinches in the sunshine by pond in front of HBO, glorious sunshine, 2 pied wagtails, 1 mistle thrush and 2 avocets on broadwater. Sat on NOA carpark eating my tea, 2 hot cross buns with strawberry jam and flask of tea, when my 1st Swallow twisted over my head!!!!! Beautiful ;)

Went to Holme Marsh Reserve afterwards, as my mother had had a kingfisher from first hide early morning. But apart from pair of mute swans, shelduck, tufted duck, moorhen, coot and lots of curlew and wood pigeons feeding on fields, not alot else.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Connor Rand said:
Well done on the Swallow Penny, I hav yet to see one this year. Will you be at HBO tomorrow?

Cheers, Connor

Hi Connor, thanks, yes I will but will be birding around Holme first and ending up at HBO later in morning.
See you tomorrow at some point :t:

Best Wishes Penny

Clear movement at Holme today with some of the highlights being: 9 Swallows west, 9 Sand Martins west and a super White Wagtail on the golf course, also 4 House Martins west (well done Penny :t: )

Well I got my swallow today at Horsey Gap. Also a fine male Wheatear on the fields roughly opposite the seal colony. (over 200 seals there at the moment incidently) Six cranes overhead, looked like they dropped just to the left of horsey wind pump. Three marshies and numerous stonechats rounded off the day.

On the butterfly front, Winterton dunes held the first Small Coppers of the year, while Speckled Woods were reported today from north norfolk.

No real chance for birding this weekend but a soaring Marsh Harrier was probably passing through today and there are 10 or so Fieldfares on the meadows at the end of the lane.

A male Ring Ouzel early on Friday 6th at Happisburgh was a nice early morning find...

James

Started off at Holme Marsh Reserve today at 7.30am to try and see the kingfisher that mother saw yesterday, no kingfisher, but chiffchaff singing in the sunshine, usual birds: robin, hedgesparrow, teal and little grebe. Only went to first hide.

Went to Holme (main beach) next - tide coming in, stunning day. 2 pairs of red legged partridge, counted about 80 oystercatchers on shore, lots of linnets and meadow pipits and a big number of hedgesparrows all through the morning. 7 Grey plover by sea, 2 turnstone, quite a few redshank, 20 ringed plover, 6 canada geese going west, 1 vevet scooter going west. Met up with my mother on beach (she was doing her usual rubbish collecting in an old sack, been doing this for years), we both saw 2 red breasted mergansers going west, 10 knot on inland scrape, along with alot of redshank. Bumped into Connor who had seen alot more than me already (no surprise there!!!!! ;) Mother and I then split in different directions - I carried on to Gore Point, Connor then rejoined me, he has seen with my mother 3 swallows, then another 2 (think I have got that right). Connor and I watched 26 pinkfeet coming in off the sea. We split at the forestry and Connor walked towards HBO. I had a good look round forestry and only saw a mistle thrush and lots of hedgesparrows and magpies here! Walked back along road watching a female marsh harrier over Holme Church 10.35am., then at the pay hut follwed the path, back of bungalows through golfcourse to my car (parked by public loos). On route back saw 2 little egrets, 1 kestrel, more linnets. Hot cross bun at car!!!!! Drove down Firs Road, 1 song thrush. Parked car and saw a ruddy duck on broad water between Firs and HBO, 2 long tailed tits at HBO, short eared owl, 1 sparrowhawk, Tortishell butterfly, 1 comma, 1 brimstone. After eating sandwiches and baking in sun (too hot!!!!) I left to go to Titchwell. Well I did just stop for a almond and butterscotch ice-cream at NWT!!! Just after leaving NOA carpark I stopped the car and got out quick to see 4 housemartins going east!!!! (my first ones) Just after watching these and phoning them through to HBO (where they had just had 9 sandmartins and a swallow!) I got talking to a lovely couple on holiday here who said they had just seen a Greenshank at Thornham harbour, so that where I went to next, found it in the channel quite easily (3.30pm) amongst lots of people and dogs!!!

Went on to Titchwell next. 4pm - Great Spotted Woodpecker in the trees in middle of first carpark. Was showing off my new 'Cley Spy' stay-on case for my ED50 to people who work in visitor centre and was told I should have been at Titchwell this morning!! As I looked through log book I could see why! Red kite flew through, along with Spoonbill, common buzzard, redpoll, siskens, sandwich tern, bittern booming etc etc!!! I sat outside on seat watching feeders while munching on my favourite food - CHOCOLATE and then walked round Fen Path, heron, Cettis singing, chaffinches, not alot else. Main Path: tons of avocets, shovelar, another heron, 2 marsh harriers, shelduck, redshanks, 1 reed bunting, teal, 128 brents (2 light aircraft got them all up from every direction!), pair of pintail, 2 grey plover, 3 black tailed godwits, 2 knot, 1 ruff. At sea 37 brents feeding on tideline, redshanks, turnstones, few ringed plover, and just before I went back 2 eiders. Along path on return: 3 pied wagtails bathing in evening sunshine, 2 little egrets. 3 redwings west (6.45pm) near alders at end of path. Chiffchaff and Cettis singing again. Oh and someone had a very pale reed bunting which they thought could possibly be (note I say possible before you all get excited) a Pallas's Reed Bunting, several people were watching it and then it disappeared, so keep a watch out tomorrow anyone going to Titchwell - it was along main path (after Fen Hide junction) and roughly opposite the first scrape on your left handside in the sallow bushes (to your right). Got back to carpark to have a common buzzard go right over my head at 7pm! I then drove car to end of carpark by no entrance gate to scan field for any birds and had fantastic views of 2 displaying marsh harriers.

Went to parents for short while and then home, out again tomorrow very, very early.

Happy Birding Everyone

Last edited:
Nice report Penny.Keep all the good birds there,as we are coming down on the 27th,en route to Minsmere.

Les.

Had a look in on the new Hempton Marsh Reserve, near Fakenham today. Very nice day and a plesant walk, just 15 mins walk from my house. Met up with one of the volunteer wardens (John I think) and he offered to give me a bit of a tour, which was nice. I'm not an NOA member, so the hides will be off access usually, but he was happy to let me in, and we sat and chatted about the reserve for a bit. Very nice guy.

Anyway, on to the birds. The 1st hide overlooks a small scrape dug into the wet meadow with a Poplar woodland at the back. Turns out that this may be a good spot to see BoPs, as we were lucky for the half hour we were there. A male Marsh Harrier made an appearance, circling for a bit and then heading in the direction of Sculthorpe village. A Common Buzzard did pretty much the same a little earlier. Also John had seen a female Sparrowhawk come down to drink and bath in the scrape, and she continued to soar above the meadow as I was there. Finally, a female Kestrel was hunting over the hedgerows to the back of the meadow. Not bad! One Mallard, a group of Rooks and Jackdaws, a couple of Long-tailed Tits and Chiffchaffs singing made up the rest of the birdlife from this hide. From the boardwalk we saw a probable Willow Tit (bull necked, fairly wide-based bib, etc, but no wingbar or call. Hmm, not 100% confident!) Also a good number of Marsh Tits, more Chiffchaffs, Treecreepers singing, 2 Jays and the usual Chaffinches, Blue and Great Tits etc. One Munkjack Deer, 2 Commas, one White spp and a Peacock (butterfly) made up most of the other residents. Much of the same around the feeding station.

Very pleasant reserve, and local, which is nice.

Jason

Last edited:
Also reckon I might have heard a Lesser Spotted Woody a the Hempton reserve. Just the occasional "plit" coming from above the 2nd hide. Didn't see it, and I'm not massively familiar with the call, but I thought it might have been some kind of subsong.

Any ideas?

Jason

Started off at NOA Hempton Reserve today, arrived at 9am, intended to get there earlier but had a job to wake up this morning! I was first there I think, had the place to myself for a while. Had, wrens, chaffinches, chiffchaffs, Marsh Tit x 2, Mallard + 13 fluffy young (ahhhhhh!!!!) ;) great tit, blue tit, long tailed tit, goldfinch, kestrel, hedgesparrow, pheasant, jay, treecreeper, robin, female reed bunting and 2 red legged partridge. Was joined in hide by 2 NOA members at bit later and also the volunteer warden.

Left here and joined the throngs of holidaymakers heading for seaside :-C and finally arrived at Walsey Hills at 12pm. Birds here included marsh harriers displaying over Arnold's marsh, Muntjack deer, linnets, chaffinches, 4 sandwiches terns on Arnold's marsh (12.25pm), seen from Walsey Hills (through scope) and from East Bank later on, 1 swallow, 2 Sand martins (my 1st ones at last :clap: ) 2 sparrowhawks. Also saw green veined white, brimstone, loads of peacocks and a comma. A female adder was at Walsey showing in the afternoon. At 6pm saw Little Stint from East Bank, 1 knot, 4 sandwich terns, 1 pintail, black tailed godwits and bar tailed godwits, shelduck and loads of avocets. Fish 'n' chips in car at Salthouse watching red sun setting behind the reed beds, beautiful, home, sleep, out again tomorrow ;)

P.S. Someone had heard a Sedge Warbler at Cley from East Bank today

Also for other North Norfolk news see:

http://norfolkornithologistsassociation.pbwiki.com/FrontPage

Last edited:
seahawk said:
Nice report Penny.Keep all the good birds there,as we are coming down on the 27th,en route to Minsmere.

Les.

Thank you Les, should be lots of birds to keep you entertained then :t:

Best Wishes Penny

Sounds good Penny. Saw ur name in the book at Hempton Marsh. You saw lots of birds today that I'm yet to see this year. Must make more effort!

Jason

J Moss said:
Sounds good Penny. Saw ur name in the book at Hempton Marsh. You saw lots of birds today that I'm yet to see this year. Must make more effort!

Jason

Thank you Jason. I am lucky at the moment I am on holiday, normally only get to go birding on Saturdays (work 6 days), the more time you spend out in the field and earlier you get up, the more you see ;)

Happy Birding - Penny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back