• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

Hi Dave , sorry no photos. The birds I saw was defiantly not the Ross x LWFG on your website photos but is very similar to the barnacle x ross you have photos of from Cley. This afternoon was very dull but its neck did not appear as dark as the bird in your photos.

Description
Bill small , grey with traces of pink
Face white below and lower side , pale to mid grey above the eye and remainder of head.
Lower Breast \ under parts white , but not as pure as the Ross standing alongside. Upper breast pale grey with no hint of brown in the grey.
Back grey
Scapular feathers typical “ snow goose type “ white edged blackish grey.
Legs difficult to be sure as it was in a very muddy site, but not black ruling out any branta x branta hybrid. Dark greenish grey.

T

Dave i will PM you its location shortly.

Thanks - appreciate that. Yes, it does sound rather like the bird from Cley and Salthouse.

There were a couple of similar (but not identical) birds in the collection on Blakeney Quay last time I passed by a week or two ago. I've not processed my photos of those yet but will add them to my website once I have done.

It wasn't there today.... T'was on the north side of Thornham village.

I only asked as my parents are up that way at the moment, but I needn't have bothered. Got a gloaty call last night saying they'd just had a/the LEO on a lane just inland and east of Holme (not sure exactly where) but it's hardly far from Thornham, is it...

By my daisy roots . . . a daisy

Thanks to J Moss for the Smoo infoo (re my #10992). Bearing this in mind, I decided not to bother. I must admit to a certain mild frisson when writing “Great Auk, Norwich.” ! But I don’t think it’s really on.

The 30 or so Snow Buntings remain around Salthouse beach car park and Gramboro’ hosted the depicted pollen, in continuance of BudWatch. Now, all we need are some bees.

A long walk around Wells Woods turned up only 5 Bullfinches (2m, 3f). However, another sign of the burgeoning spring hangs below- the ground being carpeted with daisy.

Attachments

• 009psesm.jpg
    009psesm.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 010psesm.jpg
    010psesm.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 55
Waxwing surprise

I know they are a bit old hat, but I got a very nice surprise riding my bike to the post office in Norwich this afternoon. I heard the trill call and thought I must have imagined it. But no there behind the co-op not one but at least 45 waxwings at the east end of fifers lane. Very nice. They appeared to be going down to feed in the estate.

Has anyone seen or now the whereabouts of the Long eared Owl please that was seen at Thornham on Sunday please? I am finishing work a bit earlier than normal tomorrow and would love to be able to see this if possible.

Thanks

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Has anyone seen or now the whereabouts of the Long eared Owl please that was seen at Thornham on Sunday please? I am finishing work a bit earlier than normal tomorrow and would love to be able to see this if possible.

Thanks

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi Penny,

Pics attached - on Sunday morning it was in a hedge north of the road on the west side of 'The Green', opposite a small pond (I think).
I believe it was flushed by a dog later that day.

I was delighted to have seen the Northern Harrier at the harbour after missing it by ten minutes the day before at Titchwell, then heard about the owl just around the corner :t:

Attachments

• LEO1aa.jpg
    LEO1aa.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 133
  • LEO3aa.jpg
    LEO3aa.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 136
Do you feel suitably gripped off by those photos Penny !! Don't worry I missed it as well, I was in the brecks on sunday having been to thornham the day before and then going back the day after. I looked for it yesterday but there is a lot of cover. Maybe a trip at dusk could be fruitful, there is plenty of good habitat for it to hunt.

Steve Howell was well chuffed with his find, as he should be.
A rare treat indeed in Norfolk

A neck-ringed Greylag was present at Titchwell yesterday, amongst the mixed Greylag/ Canada/Egyptian/Pink-footed/Mallard/Pheasant/Bewick Swan flock in the field to the east of the reserve (a great mix!)

The ring was Green and inscribed XSS, with X over SS. Is this bird known? Anyone aware of its origin/history? I have submitted it anyway... (Pic attached)

Day trip accompanying Mark Breaks and his mum sadly failed to produce the Thornham Harrier in 2 attempts, but Bewick Swan showing very well at Titchwell, along with the Twite and Skylark flock, Water Pipit, Red-Necked Grebe and 8 Snow Buntings were all highlights. One challenging bird that I couldn't quite put a name to was either a Water Pipit or Litt Rock, but probably needed to get views of rump to ID confidently. 8 Barn Owls were seen hunting through the day, and 2 family groups of White-Fronted Geese were enjoyed as possibly my last of the season. Wish I could spend more days like this out on the coast.

Attachments

• IMG_3549 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3549 - Copy.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3593 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3593 - Copy.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 113
  • P1040898 - Copy.JPG
    P1040898 - Copy.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Titchwell February 23rd

Today’s highlights

Bewick’s swan – adult feeding in field at end of carpark
Twite – 50 on brackish marsh
Spotted redshank – 2 on brackish marsh
Eider – 50 offshore
Red-necked grebe – 1 offshore
Red-crested pochard – pair on new pool from Fen Hide

Paul

A neck-ringed Greylag was present at Titchwell yesterday, amongst the mixed Greylag/ Canada/Egyptian/Pink-footed/Mallard/Pheasant/Bewick Swan flock in the field to the east of the reserve (a great mix!)

The ring was Green and inscribed XSS, with X over SS. Is this bird known? Anyone aware of its origin/history? I have submitted it anyway... (Pic attached)

I have had another neck-ringed bird similar to this in the area which turned out to be Dutch. I have inputted your sighting onto the scheme website and will let you know what details come back.

Paul

Dave J

For what it's worth, I think your bird was most likely Littoralis Rock Pipit. The pics just dont hit me as Water. Underparts seem too sullied, head pattern is weak and the upperpart colour seems spot on for Rock. Thornham harbour is full of Rock Pipits too; I saw at least 15 different birds there yesterday. Just my thoughts tho...

The Titchwell bird was just intermediate between the two species, with most features bordering both, and giving me a right head ache! It would have been a bit dull for a 'typical' Water Pipit, with a darker grey/brown tone to the upperparts. The underparts were also a bit too sullied compared to the stand out cleanness of Water. However the head pattern was bright and spot on for Water! Without seeing the rump, I couldn't ID this bird confidently as either! Would be interesting to hear whether anyone else has spotted this bird from the Parrinder Hide. Also present were Meadow and a standard Rock for comparison.

Last edited:
Buckenham corvids

Can anyone out there tell me if we are to late to see the Buckenham corvid roost? If not, where is the best view pont?
Many thanks

Breeding Long Eared Owls disturbed

I am aware that a pair of the above in Norfolk were disturbed in the next last year by a photographer! Anybody know anything about it?

Last edited:
Can anyone out there tell me if we are to late to see the Buckenham corvid roost? If not, where is the best view pont?
Many thanks

As the rooks have returned to their rookery behind my house which is just down the valley from Buckenham and other local rookeries are also occupied with rooks overnight I suspect the Buckenham roost has broken up. The jackdaws have also returned with them

As the rooks have returned to their rookery behind my house which is just down the valley from Buckenham and other local rookeries are also occupied with rooks overnight I suspect the Buckenham roost has broken up. The jackdaws have also returned with them

Thanks very much - must remember to plan a trip earlier next winter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back