• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (29 Viewers)

Buckenham Marshes this morning - 1 Wood Sand, 1 greenshank, c.10 black t godwits, c.10 Dunlins, 1 wheatear, 1 yellow wag.
Annoyed at the fact Pec Sand has been found at Cley seeing as i was there yesterday (i didn't visit North Hide!). Lets hope the winds go back to the East...Could do with some more migrants in Norfolk!
Sacha

I agree, I still think we are short of migrants, although there are ceratinly more Lesser-throats about than normal this year.
Thank goodness for some rain. I thoght the House Martins were never going to find some wet mud for their nests.
Sue

Ron, High Ash Farm, yes thats it. cheers

Anyone see or hear anything of a kite over broadland today ?

Came back yesterday from a weeks cycling in Germany and bit tired this morning so cadged a lift in the good lady's car . Any other day and i'd have been on my bike with bin's tucked away somewhere. Anyhow, passing Primrose Corner, Woodbastwick about 9.30 had a flyover kite . Think (from CD & Collins) most prob Red but i suppose Black maybe, ... the def. forked tail was dead easy to spot but without bin's and a hole in the roof (or adequate knowledge) i couldnt make it out for certain.

Going too fast didnt help either...

Nice to see a few Swifts back this evening

Suspicions confirmed...... the drake Wood Duck was on the Wensum again this evening between Colmans and Laurence & Scott, just west of the railway bridge. He was happily feeding amongst the overhanging brambles but had vanished by 8pm, presumably roosting somewhere close by. A very handsome bird, I thought he may be of interest to some of you city birders...

James

Osprey flew over Salthouse Beach at 4.14pm and flew west over Stifkey at 4.54pm.

The Pectoral Sandpiper still, at 4.40pm, Cley NWT on north scrape + 3 wood sandpipers and little stint.

2 Turtle Doves Titchwell + 6 little gulls and 2 little terns.

Iberian Chiffchaff still at Norwich.

Checked out at lunchtime - no sign of wood duck but grey wagtails feeding young and common tern nice to see even if it is against the backdrop of diggers,cranes and partly built multi-storey blocks of flats!

I had lovely views of 2 yellow wagtails flitting over the water at the Millfleet in King's Lynn at 7am before work.

Loads of swifts circling in the blue skies.Sunny weather here this afternoon with mixtures of dark clouds!

On my borrowed pager: Osprey flew west over beach at Cley NWT at 8.04am today and Iberian Chiffchaff still at Norwich.

Hope everyone has some good birds this weekend.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Hope everyone has some good birds this weekend.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hate to be the bringer of bad news..

But the weather looks very depressing for the next 10 days - not good if you're a weather panzy like me!!

Might bring in something bedraggled off the coast though if wind is right?

Matt

Last edited:
Hate to be the bringer of bad news..

But the weather looks very depressing for the next 10 days - not good if you're a weather panzy like me!!

Might bring in something bedraggled of the coast though if wind is right?

Matt

Yes it does Matt, but they do get it wrong sometimes and the winds will be south(ish) at weekend and plus you never know whats going to turn up!!!!!
If you stay in you will see nothing, if you go out you are sure to see something!!!!

Penny:girl:

Crikey what a carry on up Horsey last weekend.

going back to that kite - on B'guides today "Black Kite, Catfield, rptd yesterday again in Hickling / Catfield area" ... which is what, 6 miles from Woodbastwick. Hmmm.... s'pose that'll teach me for getting into a car

back on the bike this evening and a lovely ride in the sunshine between the clouds up to Horsey and down the bridleway to Winterton

2 Whimbrel
noisy Oystercatchers
1 Sanderling in very nice summer plumage
2 RInged Plover
c.7 Wheatear
1 male Marsh Harrier
2 Kestrel
1 Green Woodpecker
a few Little Terns in a couple of places just offshore
'some' Swifts

Common(i think) Terns off caister beach earlier on

Bonaparte's Gull at Hickling Broad NWT at back of Rush Hill Scrape, showing well. View from Weaver's Way at 8.54am.

Osprey flew west towards Cley at 9.55.

Purple Heron at Berney Marshes RSPB at 5.55am then flew to Breydon Water South Wall Ditch.

2 Spoon bills flew north over Sea Palling at 6.35am.

Bonaparte's Gull at Hickling Broad NWT at back of Rush Hill Scrape, showing well. View from Weaver's Way at 8.54am.

Osprey flew west towards Cley at 9.55.

Purple Heron at Berney Marshes RSPB at 5.55am then flew to Breydon Water South Wall Ditch.

2 Spoon bills flew north over Sea Palling at 6.35am.

Thanks Penny...........am up on Sunday so hope all or at least some of the above are still around.

Quite a reasonable day so far in east norfolk

long walk this morning - a few Whimbrel moving through, 14 Wheatears, a late Fieldfare was a real suprise. Missed the two Spoonies over the village this morning but a chance meeting with a friend who identified the Boney's this morning saw me take the 10 minute drive to Rush Hill. Nice first summer - same tail pattern as the Farmoor bird, so i guess it's the same bird.

The swift and hirundine passage was still going on this morning, great to see Swifts continually bombing north for several hours. Norfolkbirder had an excellent passage at Holme which i'm sure he'll recount later. Black Kite at Aylmerton again.

Hope to pop back to Rush Hill later for an hour or two.

Tim

Bee-eater somewhere around Kelling, according to Birdguides.

Anyone have anymore details? I wont be able to see it, being down here in Portsmouth, but the parents might be interested.

Jason

Bee-eater flew west from Kelling + was then between Langham and Morston on wires along Langham road at 5:40pm.

Good day at Holme NOA today included 1 Whinchat, 10 Wheatear, 1 Tree Pipit, 17 Yellow Wags and two Groppers.

Myself and Norfolkbirder counted Swallows and the day total was 3100 west, with 3000 Swift, 500 House Martin and 40 Sand Martins. For full sightings see www.noa.org.uk

Hi. I am going to lynford arbo early tommorow could anybody tell me where is the best place to start from, and what to look out for the most.
Then it will be on to Lakenheath fen, This my first time there, I have been told golden orioles could be hear or is it to early?

Hope to have a good report tommorow night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back