• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glossy Ibis! (1 Viewer)

Wan2caTanager

Today I went to the local park with my 4-H group. We hadn't started our program (it's a bird one |=)|) yet and we were just waiting around. Then I looked up and saw 2 birds in the grasses pretty far off. I looked through my bins and the were glossy ibis (Plegadis falcinellus)!!!! |:d| I really was not expecting that because they were in the grass, right near a playground! I had seen them before, but never at that park. It was a real treat, and a year bird too! All the 4-Her's had never seen a glossy ibis before and I think they were really excited about it also. I also saw a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea), which was another year bird. Anyway I had a very nice day and just wanted to share our find! |:d| Thanks for letting me babble on! |=)|

PS
Do you say ibis with a short "i" sound or a long one? We were wondering which one is right. Thanks!|=)|

OOOOOHHHHH!

Where are you in New York? I'm in South-Eastern New York, just north of the Dutchess County border with Putnam County.

PS. I say I-bis as is "I am at a BIS-ness". or the word IS. too bad I don't know what short and long mean...

Hi,
I live on Long Island, so only about 15 minutes away from the water. |:d|
I also said ibis how you do. A long "I" is like Island and a short "I" is like the word "is."I just looked in the dictionary and the "right" way to say it is with a long "i". Like "Island". Hmmmm....oh well!|:$|

Me too!!!

Wan2caTanager said:
Today I went to the local park with my 4-H group. We hadn't started our program (it's a bird one |=)|) yet and we were just waiting around. Then I looked up and saw 2 birds in the grasses pretty far off. I looked through my bins and the were glossy ibis (Plegadis falcinellus)!!!! |:d| I really was not expecting that because they were in the grass, right near a playground! I had seen them before, but never at that park. It was a real treat, and a year bird too! All the 4-Her's had never seen a glossy ibis before and I think they were really excited about it also. I also saw a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea), which was another year bird. Anyway I had a very nice day and just wanted to share our find! |:d| Thanks for letting me babble on! |=)|

PS
Do you say ibis with a short "i" sound or a long one? We were wondering which one is right. Thanks!|=)|
Hey Wan2caTanager, I saw my first Glossy Ibis of the year today also! It's not the first one I've ever seen but a first for the year. I also got four lifers added to my growing list. One was a Hooded Oriole, which was out of it's normal range, happily for me, a Least Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, and an Anhinga. Altogether nine birds for my Year List. Sometimes I wish I could bird with others but I like to go where I want, when I want. Happy birding!! :flyaway: By the way, it is Ibis with a long I in front.

Wow! I've never seen a glossy Ibis in RL. *jealous* But I did see a male Belted Kingfisher in a tree by the creek two blocks from my house. I know it's not a rare bird for my area, but it was the first one I've actually seen. They're bigger than I thought.

I was excited and just had to share!

I didn't realise you got hose over there. I think I saw one in Uganda on my first visit there, was near shore of Lake Victoria (Huge, man).
I went out to a new place locally for me to go birding today (saw it first out trying to cover a 'fox hunt' after the ban and thought I'd return there to go walking). A recently reclaimed woodland lying in a special lanscape area (replanted after it was clear felled coniferous plantation). It was ancient woodland up to 1920's, has a hill top fort, as was (originally Iron Age, then Motte and Bailley, then more recently a summer house before that got destroyed, earthworkings and mound still there, a stone structure is being rebuilt. Anyways, saw first Tree Pipit in a long while, lots of Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs, Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Mistle Thrushes, Blackbirds, Robins, Blue tits, Marsh Tits, Wren etc. Got pics of Wren, Tree Pipit and Willow Warbler though the Warbler aint that good. Gonna go back

Last edited:
Tim42 said:
I also got four lifers added to my growing list. One was a Hooded Oriole, which was out of it's normal range.

Are you sure of that ID Tim? Seems highly unlikely - it would also appear to be a first for both Carolinas - you should have a carefully prepared report ready to send to Carolina Birds - with reasons why it could not be one of the commoner species. You should also pass info on about where the bird was sighted so that more experienced birders to allow them to try and relocate it.

Luke

Hi Mandy welcome to BF.Your Eye Biss is a prize for NY I always considered them a southern bird until this past Fall when I daw the whitefaced (redeyed) and glossy in the same month way up here.
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back