• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some Assistance with South African Bird ID (1 Viewer)

KristenM

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to this forum :) Last September we had a fantastic time birding South Africa, Swaziland and Lesotho. I'm fairly new to African birds and when I looked at some of my photos upon returning home there were some ID's I could not verify. I have made a Flickr album of ID's I need some help with. Locations, dates and my ID are posted with the photos. Wondering if anyone could provide some assistance? https://www.flickr.com/photos/kristenmartyn/sets/72157663208845069

Thank you!

Kristen

Hi ya Kristen and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BF :t:

I'm going to move your thread to the Bird I D section where you're likely to get a speedy answer. I've also subscribed you to this thread so that you'll get notifications of posts ;)

Some waders need changing. In one pic it says Ruff and Common Sandpiper (I just see 2 Ruff), in another pic I see a Ruff and what I see as a Curlew Sandpiper, and another pic labelled Common Sandpiprers look like at least mostly Curlew Sandpipers (certainly no Common Sandpiper).

At the end 'mountain zebra widowbird' are weavers, I think Cape Weaver on bill shape.

there's a couple of pics of Yellow-bellied Greenbul (labelled unidentified), and a Sombre Greenbul labelled as a Green-capped Eremomela

Some waders need changing. In one pic it says Ruff and Common Sandpiper (I just see 2 Ruff), in another pic I see a Ruff and what I see as a Curlew Sandpiper, and another pic labelled Common Sandpiprers look like at least mostly Curlew Sandpipers (certainly no Common Sandpiper).

At the end 'mountain zebra widowbird' are weavers, I think Cape Weaver on bill shape.

Thank you kindly Larry this was extremely helpful!

there's a couple of pics of Yellow-bellied Greenbul (labelled unidentified), and a Sombre Greenbul labelled as a Green-capped Eremomela

Thanks again Larry! I have moved all photos that have been corrected out of that album. As you seem to be very familiar with South African birds, to your knowledge do you see any that are labelled correctly?

~Kristen

Thanks again Larry! I have moved all photos that have been corrected out of that album. As you seem to be very familiar with South African birds, to your knowledge do you see any that are labelled correctly?

~Kristen

Many of them are correctly labelled, but without them being numbered it's hard to explain which ones! eg the Brown Snake Eagle and Tawny Eagles are fine, the Large-billed, Sabota, Rufous-naped and Spike-heeled Larks are fine. The Ruff pic is fine. Exact location would be a big help for the cisticolas and 'long-billed' Larks.

I think the African Crowned Eagle, African Hawk Eagle and Dark chanting Goshawk pics are right, but you better double check with a bird of prey 'freak', as I'm not that good with those.

Purple-banded Sunbird looks ok, but I wouldn't swear they're not Marico Sunbird.

PS, I see you already moved the weavers that I suggested might be Cape Weaver. I'd get another opinion on those, as It was just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Hi Kristen! Welcome to Bird Forum.

My wife and I made our 'once-in-a-lifetime' trip to Kenya in 2008. We've now been to Africa seven times! The same may happen to you! Enjoy it!

On our first trip, everyone was looking for lions and elephants and so on. Us too. But I also looked around for birds, and found 150 species in eight days. This was my introduction to Bird Forum. I asked about twenty species, and felt bad about being so ignorant. But of course, in the background I had spent a month studying books to identify the other 130 species by myself!

And a good thing about your post is that you have obviously spent a lot of time trying to identify your birds (occasionally people post here on BF because they are too mean to buy a bird guide or too lazy to use it).

Some BF members don't reply to threads where the photos are not posted directly on Bird Forum - and yours are on Flickr. But don't take it personally. BF is a great site, and some of us feel great loyalty to it, having learnt so much here, so we like people to make their main effort here. Also, one of the things is that on BF you can drag and drop the photos to the desktop and lighten or darken them (or otherwise adjust them) to help with ID; you can't do this from Flickr (I think; I don't have an account and don't want to make one). Maybe you just disabled downloading, but it can make it more difficult to id photos.

Also, although I started to look at your photos when they were first posted, I took a break when I realised how many there were, and how difficult it would be to navigate around them on Flickr, while trying at the same time to answer on Bird Forum. And now you've deleted some stuff, I'm even more lost.

I'm not an expert on these birds, but obviously I know a lot more than I did eight years ago. I will give an opinion which will also 'bump' your thread to the top of the Q&A section where some others may join in. These others can then correct any of my comments which are wrong.

But if you want to, you could pick the two or three birds you are most unsure about (e.g. Long-billed Pipit) and make a new Bird Forum thread with just these birds uploading the photos directly to BF: you can work out how to upload photos to BF, and I'm sure you will get answers from people who know a lot. To post photos directly here you go to 'Additional Options' > Attach Files > Manage Attachements and click, then find the photos you want to attach on your computer by browsing (maximum five photos per post, but as many posts as you like in one thread, or you can make multiple threads with different titles; maximum photo size 1000px, and there is a maximum filesize also; adjust the size and quality of your photos before posting).

In any case, as Larry said, it would have been really useful if your Flickr photos had a number as well as your ID to make them easier to refer to, given how many there were.

You may have deleted some of these from Flickr, but I hope you can work out what I am referring to.

Booted Eagle looks OK

Brown Snake-eagle looks very OK

Crowned Hawk-eagle juv or Martial Eagle juv? Seeing the front and tail would make this easier.

Tawny looks good

African Hawk-eagle seems right.

Chanting Goshawk - we can't see the front or tail of the bird, but might Gabar Goshawk (eye dark but not obviously red) or Lizard Buzzard be possible?

Common Sandpiper and Ruff looks like two Ruff to me (both have red legs)

Common Sandpiper: I wonder if this group is Curlew Sandpiper? In my experience Common tend to be solitary, and the bills of these birds seems decurved. Also Curlew Sand is said by the books to be very common in SA.

And I think the bird behind the Ruff in the next photo might be Curlew Sand also.

I think the 'Unknown' bird might be Sabota Lark (could be some other lark, but it has red legs).

The next two 'Lark?' photos look like Spike-heeled Lark to me.

Rufous-naped and Sabota look good for the next two birds to me.

Spike-heeled Lark again.

Karoo Long-billed looks OK to me, but I've never seen it. The books say it would be at the extreme of its range in Mountain Zebra NP

Large-billed Lark: again, I've never seen this, but your ID looks good to me.

Rattling Cisticola looks good for that location for the first two photos (same bird).
The next two photos from the iSimangaliso wetland look more like Rufous-winged or Levaillant's to me. I'm not sure if you can tell these two apart without seeing their backs (unless you recorded the sound).

Next two photos: Rattling? Could be.

Levaillant's look OK, but Lazy shouldn't be in Mountain Zebra NP (more Levaillant's?)

Wailing> Karoo Prinia as Andy said

Cisticola Species: Yes, but? (Ratlling again)

Have you removed? Unknown: ? Black-chested Prinia?

Have you removed? Greencap Eremomela: ???Tiny Greenbul (out of range, but has been seen)???

African Dusky Flycatcher looks good to me for the next few

(But I'm really bad at these African flycatchers)

Ashy Flycatcher: I'm not sure this can be identified from these photos. Why wouldn't it be Spotted Flycatcher, for example? For Ashy, shouldn't the tail be blacker and more fanned? But on location, I suppose it might be.

Again, on location, it could be Grey Tit-flycatcher, but African Dusky is also possible there

Maybe someone who is better than me at African Flycatchers will come along and comment

Maybe the grey-coloured sunbird (labelled 'Sunbird') isn't Grey Sunbird (it lacks green sheen and red wing tufts)? Maybe it's female White-bellied Sunbird.

I think the coloured sunbird is Marico because the bill in some photos looks strongly decurved (and the books say Purple-banded is not). Also Marico is so common; I've lost count of the times I thought I'd found something else only for it to be Marico). And the next two in the very over-exposed photos, would be the female Marico (again decurved bill)

I don't know about the pipit: Long-billed or African. We can't see the tail. The underbill appears pink, not yellow which might even indicate Buffy

Red-collared Widowbird looks fine, especially if you saw some breeding-plumaged birds in the area

And the Fan-tailed Widowbird: who knows?

Last edited:
A couple of things to follow Mac's post:

If the long-billed larks were at Mt Zebra NP, I think that'll be Eastern LBL (if the park's where I think it is).

What Mac says is generally true about abundance of Marico vs Purple-banded, but it does depend where you are. Along the coastal strip in the far east of the country Purple-banded can be the common one.

If the long-billed larks were at Mt Zebra NP, I think that'll be Eastern LBL (if the park's where I think it is).

Hi, Larry. Google Maps is amazingly good on these places. And you don't have to be a Google member, or sign in or anything (yet). Although I'm not in the UK, I often use Google Maps UK to check on places before I comment. Putting Mount Zebra NP into Google Maps UK gets you the following (in fact on screen it's a lot better in quality than this screen grab).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 22 Aug  8.41.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 22 Aug 8.41.47 PM.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 41
Hi MacNara. Apologies to you and Larry for delay in my reply...summer holidays :) I have to say this was my first trip to Africa and already I can't wait to go back and bird more spots. I want to thank you for the time you took to review my post, give some advice about using BF, posting photos and for all your time reviewing my photos. You provided some great tips on posting photos. I thought Flickr might be easier because of the number of photos :) I have also now numbered the photos. I have move the photos I believe have been positively ID into another album to simplify things. I'm hoping some folks who know sunbirds, flycatchers and raptors well can have a looks. I've spent a long time going through each photo and some I'm just really stumped on. Unfortunately for ID purposes those are the best photos I got of those particular birds; but isn't that always the way (poor photos of the birds you need an ID confirmation on)?

Thank you again for all your time looking at my photos. Hopefully some more answers will come to the last mystery birds :)

~Kristen

Hi Kristen! Welcome to Bird Forum.

My wife and I made our 'once-in-a-lifetime' trip to Kenya in 2008. We've now been to Africa seven times! The same may happen to you! Enjoy it!

On our first trip, everyone was looking for lions and elephants and so on. Us too. But I also looked around for birds, and found 150 species in eight days. This was my introduction to Bird Forum. I asked about twenty species, and felt bad about being so ignorant. But of course, in the background I had spent a month studying books to identify the other 130 species by myself!

And a good thing about your post is that you have obviously spent a lot of time trying to identify your birds (occasionally people post here on BF because they are too mean to buy a bird guide or too lazy to use it).

Some BF members don't reply to threads where the photos are not posted directly on Bird Forum - and yours are on Flickr. But don't take it personally. BF is a great site, and some of us feel great loyalty to it, having learnt so much here, so we like people to make their main effort here. Also, one of the things is that on BF you can drag and drop the photos to the desktop and lighten or darken them (or otherwise adjust them) to help with ID; you can't do this from Flickr (I think; I don't have an account and don't want to make one). Maybe you just disabled downloading, but it can make it more difficult to id photos.

Also, although I started to look at your photos when they were first posted, I took a break when I realised how many there were, and how difficult it would be to navigate around them on Flickr, while trying at the same time to answer on Bird Forum. And now you've deleted some stuff, I'm even more lost.

I'm not an expert on these birds, but obviously I know a lot more than I did eight years ago. I will give an opinion which will also 'bump' your thread to the top of the Q&A section where some others may join in. These others can then correct any of my comments which are wrong.

But if you want to, you could pick the two or three birds you are most unsure about (e.g. Long-billed Pipit) and make a new Bird Forum thread with just these birds uploading the photos directly to BF: you can work out how to upload photos to BF, and I'm sure you will get answers from people who know a lot. To post photos directly here you go to 'Additional Options' > Attach Files > Manage Attachements and click, then find the photos you want to attach on your computer by browsing (maximum five photos per post, but as many posts as you like in one thread, or you can make multiple threads with different titles; maximum photo size 1000px, and there is a maximum filesize also; adjust the size and quality of your photos before posting).

In any case, as Larry said, it would have been really useful if your Flickr photos had a number as well as your ID to make them easier to refer to, given how many there were.

You may have deleted some of these from Flickr, but I hope you can work out what I am referring to.

Booted Eagle looks OK

Brown Snake-eagle looks very OK

Crowned Hawk-eagle juv or Martial Eagle juv? Seeing the front and tail would make this easier.

Tawny looks good

African Hawk-eagle seems right.

Chanting Goshawk - we can't see the front or tail of the bird, but might Gabar Goshawk (eye dark but not obviously red) or Lizard Buzzard be possible?

Common Sandpiper and Ruff looks like two Ruff to me (both have red legs)

Common Sandpiper: I wonder if this group is Curlew Sandpiper? In my experience Common tend to be solitary, and the bills of these birds seems decurved. Also Curlew Sand is said by the books to be very common in SA.

And I think the bird behind the Ruff in the next photo might be Curlew Sand also.

I think the 'Unknown' bird might be Sabota Lark (could be some other lark, but it has red legs).

The next two 'Lark?' photos look like Spike-heeled Lark to me.

Rufous-naped and Sabota look good for the next two birds to me.

Spike-heeled Lark again.

Karoo Long-billed looks OK to me, but I've never seen it. The books say it would be at the extreme of its range in Mountain Zebra NP

Large-billed Lark: again, I've never seen this, but your ID looks good to me.

Rattling Cisticola looks good for that location for the first two photos (same bird).
The next two photos from the iSimangaliso wetland look more like Rufous-winged or Levaillant's to me. I'm not sure if you can tell these two apart without seeing their backs (unless you recorded the sound).

Next two photos: Rattling? Could be.

Levaillant's look OK, but Lazy shouldn't be in Mountain Zebra NP (more Levaillant's?)

Wailing> Karoo Prinia as Andy said

Cisticola Species: Yes, but? (Ratlling again)

Have you removed? Unknown: ? Black-chested Prinia?

Have you removed? Greencap Eremomela: ???Tiny Greenbul (out of range, but has been seen)???

African Dusky Flycatcher looks good to me for the next few

(But I'm really bad at these African flycatchers)

Ashy Flycatcher: I'm not sure this can be identified from these photos. Why wouldn't it be Spotted Flycatcher, for example? For Ashy, shouldn't the tail be blacker and more fanned? But on location, I suppose it might be.

Again, on location, it could be Grey Tit-flycatcher, but African Dusky is also possible there

Maybe someone who is better than me at African Flycatchers will come along and comment

Maybe the grey-coloured sunbird (labelled 'Sunbird') isn't Grey Sunbird (it lacks green sheen and red wing tufts)? Maybe it's female White-bellied Sunbird.

I think the coloured sunbird is Marico because the bill in some photos looks strongly decurved (and the books say Purple-banded is not). Also Marico is so common; I've lost count of the times I thought I'd found something else only for it to be Marico). And the next two in the very over-exposed photos, would be the female Marico (again decurved bill)

I don't know about the pipit: Long-billed or African. We can't see the tail. The underbill appears pink, not yellow which might even indicate Buffy

Red-collared Widowbird looks fine, especially if you saw some breeding-plumaged birds in the area

And the Fan-tailed Widowbird: who knows?

Hi Kristen.

Thanks for replying. I've given it my best shot. There are a few people who are real experts on African birds on this forum. I hope one of them will take a look at your remaining photos.

About Flickr: maybe if you are a regular user, unlike me, then it's more obvious how it works, or there are tricks you can use. But it was only when I was halfway through that I found that if you clicked on individual photos, you got a location.

I enjoyed your 'good photos' album. There are some lovely shots in there.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back